Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Yacht/Sports Lounge - UDK Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
Hi all. I am currently taking a break form a large-ish scale environment and working on this. It's part of the interior of this model I made a little bit ago. (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73767&highlight=space+yacht) This interior will actually be scene in a few cut-scenes in a game prototype I am working on with some fellow students. Anways, enough explanation, on with the art! Here is the line art (by Tam Ngo) my color blockout, and a rough blockout in UDK. The blockout is missing a lot of the deco of course, I just wanted to get a slight feel for rough lighting and composition. C&C's welcomed. My goal is to finish this interior within 2 weeks.
SYBarLounge.jpg

SYBarLoungeColorBlockout.jpg

test1.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The purple lighting makes it hard for me to see it with clarity..

Some other captures to see detail would be helpful. Some smoothing issues or AA problems exist I think.

Excellent modeling from concept though, that's spot on.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick reply n88tr!

Yeah I am not an awesome lighting artist so most of the lighting I am sure will be swapped out after some more crits from fellow artists. Thee is too much purple right now for sure. As fas as other details, I will start posting the meshes I create in max to show off some of the hard surface modeling as I create them. And as fas as the smoothing group issued goes, thats because I actually wont be using any of these meshes. They are all quick dirty just to get a sense of proportion and composition. more to come and thanks again!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If I may, I'd just like to say that 'Space Yacht/Sports Lounge' is fucking fantastic setting.

Now go! Make it!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Adam! I am really excited about this interior! :) I hope you enjoy my work as I do yours!
  • ThornedVenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThornedVenom polycounter lvl 8
    Looking forward to this. :D
  • SouthpawSid
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again to those that helped out with my issued thus far. I've already learned a ton from the project and I'm not done yet! Here's some progress. All assets are in game and unwrapped. Next step is to bake out AO and normals for all the LP assets and get some color on them. Then to finalize lighting and world building. All world building and lighting is just placeholder for now until everything is textured. Cheers!

test2.jpg

test3.jpg

test4.jpg
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking really nice, great job so far :) Can't wait to see it with an awesome looking starfield in the background and textures hehe
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting concept, very excited to see where this goes.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't wait to see more !!!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    What happened to the purple lighting? I'd say get some color in there, blue'ish and purple'ish tones preferably. Some nice refs, hope it helps:
    ldny-bar-color-change-led-lighting.jpg
    ColorSpan_Brighton_Dome3.jpg
    Lighting+Bar+Design.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Simmo: thanks for keepin track! :) Also, the sky you see in the window is actually the sky we'll be using in the indie game this is going into. (perpetual sunset, lol)

@ajr2764: also thanks for watching he thread, I hopew you enjoy it's creation process! I have for sure been learning a bunch from the project.

@Minotaur0: Holy crap those lighting references are nice. I know have a much more distinct vision on how i'd like the lighting for this room to go. I especially like bottom picture.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've finally got a night to hit it hard and this is where I am at. Trying my best to get a feel for the lighting. Texturing has been really simple since the scene is supposed to be so clean. I've still got a few assets to texture and make emissives for and then finalize lighting I guess!

test5.jpg

test6.jpg

test7.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Pretty much all assets are textured. Feeling a lot better about the lighting but I am no means a lighting artist so crits needed there I am sure. All thats really left besides finalizing lighting and some possibly composition tweaks is to get the heads of the creatures up on the walls.

test8.jpg

test9.jpg

test10.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    I'd say the tiles aren't working too well maybe something more plastic like would work, perhaps try to break the flooring up with some different deco's (such as lips around the counters) and perhaps put some sexy rugs down.

Love the colours you've got so far though, feels very alive.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work southpaw.

Like Myles mentioned, I think the tile needs some variation. Perhaps have a dance floor area and break it up a bit, maybe some different flooring around the bar and eating area too.

The other thing thats making this scene feel weird to me are the chairs. The thin legs and bulky seat/back are throwing me for a loop; weird contrast. Perhaps a bar stool type chair would be more fitting. http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1680&bih=832&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=bar+stool&aq=f&aqi=g7g-m3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Its coming along nicely though :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Myles: I for sure plan on breaking up the floor a little bit with a big bar mat and some rugs! Thanks for the suggestion!

@brandoom: Thanks too for the compliment. Hope you like the different chair! I agreed with everything you said and this was my quick fix.

Thanks again guys. This project is pretty much done now with the head sin place and all. I am not responsible for the plants and the creatures heads in the scene (accept for the little blue workm thing, I did that haha).

I do still plan on breaking up the floor with some rugs/mats and then it'll be done finally!

test15.jpg

test14.jpg

test13.jpg

test12.jpg

test11.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think you've analyzed well how the neons are working, they are usually lights hidden in a cavity behind the wall and only casting bounced lighting, not direct lighting like you have there, which gives that cozy look to the lounge (because the lighting is indirect, it makes the room more relaxing for the eyes and more intimate)
    the tiles aren't working for me at all, the reference shots posted above clearly show the distinctive feel of lounges, which is usually a very modern or high quality material, like waxed concrete, marble tiles or very modern parquetry.
    you should have a look at mass effect for awesome sci fi cozy stuff also check the works of architects like Tadao Ando

Tadao-Ando-%C3%A0-Milan-3.jpg
    andonaoshi3.jpg
    tadao%20ando%20-%20the%20complete%20works.JPG

Helix%20Lounge%20Bar.jpg

masseffect2-cabin.jpg

using an aquarium a sindirect light source is very smart too
    2.jpg

I'd also open the walls to see the outside of the ship, play with neons more, etc, fhloston paradise like

widehall.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again to everyone that commented! Deadline is passed and it's the scene is out! Thanks again for the comments and crits. I learned a TON from this scene and will be applying what I learned onto my next couple scene before graduation! C&C's still welcomed!

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5.jpg
  • an aggressive napkin
    is that an alien head? :P
  • mparis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the scifi-lounge vibe you have going here, the glowing edged table especially caught my eye.

I would say that your alien heads may be reading a bit more humorous than they should. I do love them.

Though I suspect that one vaugely reminds me of Alf

alf.jpg
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. I think the floor is a bit distracting, and the reflectivity could be taken down a notch to better blend in with the rest of the environment. Maybe use a darker diffuse for the plates? But overall I think it's a really nice scene.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing work, wanted to do a lounge scene myself. Anyway, only thing I can come up with is that the tiling on the floor makes it look like a kitchen floor more than a one of a recreation room.