Home Technical Talk

symmetry in Zbrush?

Hi,

So is there a way to import a model into Zbrush using the same coordinates I exported out of MAX?

I have a model with the arm pulled off to the side, I'm planning to sculpt the arm once and then bake it down, mirror the arm over in the final low poly. I have my axis going down the center of the model in Max. Zbrush is putting the axis down the middle of the entire model, so that it is somewhere between the exploded arm and the torso.

I found that I can change the axis in the preview window, but I am unable to zoom in close enough to do this very precisely. So I'd really like to just have the coordinates I set up in Max.

thanks all.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm probably misunderstanding the setup, but can't you just sculpt on the attached arm with symmetry turned off? Both arms don't need to be aculpted if you're just going to mirror one over?

Otherwise, be sure to freeze everything, 0-off your transforms, and export with local coordinates. Seems to import fine.
    zbrush_symcenter.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply.

The thing is, I want symmetry on for the body and legs, but off for other things like the shoe, arm and hand, etc.

I know how to turn it off with "x" but I would like it on for a lot of this.

zbrushproblems.jpg

Thanks man.
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Export the parts separately and use subtools
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its probably something to do with separate sub tools I'll say no more(because I dont know anymore).
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Putting your center where you want it in Max, freezing and exporting with local coordinates should still apply. Maybe this process goes by a different terminology in Max (xforms?)

Edit: I can't tell by your pic, are those subtools are not? Subtools are working 100% fine for me. If not, isolate the parts you want symmetry on (body, face etc), hide them with ctrl+shift. Go to Subtool tab and split hidden. Select body subtool, turn on local sym. Sculpt away
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    yep import them as separate sub tools, they will maintain they're position but allow you to keep symmetry on the parts you want (such as the body and legs, face etc)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help guys!

I have something working. I'm kind of a noob to Zbrush, so I appreciate all the help I can get.

:D