Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted textured UDK environment - WIP

Glode
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Glode polycounter lvl 11
Hey hey everyone :)

So, just a short intro thing.. I submitted a version of this for my end of year assignment before I finished University a few weeks ago, so now I'm in the middle of going back and fixing some of the things I didn't like or didn't get a chance to fix before the hand in date.

some screenshots from inside the UDK:

wowaltv2.jpg

wowaltv1.jpg

wowaltv3.jpg

Now, I'm just about to start retexturing the main street floor and pavements and then I can get around to finally replacing the trees with some stylized versions. And then after the tree's are done I will remodel and texture some new street lights.

I was aiming for a night scene with this environment (silly thing to state, I know :P its kinda obvious lol).

If anyone can give me some feedback/paint overs then I will lovez you for life <3

thanks in advance!

Edit* doh, just noticed I messed the title up.. "Painted textured udk environment?".. lame.. I was meant to use "hand painted UDK environment".. I hate being sleepy :S

Replies

• Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far man, i would suggest toning the cobbles down a bit, they are coming off a bit too bold right now, and drawing attention to the black gaps inbetween the stones.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great so far. There are two things that are really bothering me and bringing down the overall quality. The floor isn't looking that great at the moment. As mentioned above, the dark areas a way to dark and it looks as though the stones are floating on an infinite nothingness (if that makes any sense :) ). Also, at the moment you have painted in highlights for everything and it looks great on a lot of the objects but I think at the moment it is coming off way too strong on the floor and looks a bit odd when: a) you have the light coming from the window not making the sides facing the window light and b) when the stones are in the shadowed area. I would suggest both going into Photoshop and bringing the contrast down - it could also be done in Unreal but at think right now the best bet is through Photoshop.
    The other thing is on the large stones right by the window the repetition in the cracks is very obvious.

Its a great looking environment so far and I look forward to seeing more.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    get some ambient light in there cant see a bleedin thing
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    cheers for the replies :)

nomnomtest1.jpg

put in a quick directional light as I'm playing around with a few ideas with it right now.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The style of the meshes isn't consistent at all. Some are so obvious they are photosource. No focal point either, if it was that alchemy shop, then it is the darkest part of the scene... I would recomment having wide crevices from the door to allow light to pass through it and change the colors of the window light- it matches too much with the street light which makes no sense.
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    Mazvix wrote: »
    The style of the meshes isn't consistent at all. Some are so obvious they are photosource. No focal point either, if it was that alchemy shop, then it is the darkest part of the scene... I would recomment having wide crevices from the door to allow light to pass through it and change the colors of the window light- it matches too much with the street light which makes no sense.

thanks for the reply,

The only thing photosourced in this scene is the trees and the mud thing its sitting on :) and in the topic post that I was remaking the tree's. so don't worry about those :).

Ok, so:

- Change the window lighting so it isn't the same as the street lights

- Add a focal point

- Test out the door suggestion

will try these out tomorrow when I get home.
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    I hate to admit it but I played World of Warcraft for awhile some (3) years ago. This is pretty clearly a higher resolution version of stormwind. If your intention was to recreate it your doing a good job. Interesting to see what SW would look like in Unreal.

I wish I could hand paint like that.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to use that cobble stone texture I think the ground should be more flat, since the stones aren't actual geometry, it looks like a cobble stone carpet over the ground (to me anyway).
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    @SnowGhost: thanks :) yeah its a remake of one of the area's in stormwind. I should of really put that in the main post.. lol

@Moosey_G: Nah I was actually painting a bit of the new floor when I got home tonight, just not ready to show it yet until I get more of it done :). But if you have any suggestions on any style of floor you'd like to see then just let me know and I will give it a try! :D
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That floor tile has got to go. It's too high contrast, and has far too much directional lighting painted in for a ground surface.

Lots of weird streaking on your building meshes. Not sure if that's smoothing groups or some weird error

You said you were redoing the trees so I'll leave them be.

Agree about focal point with this one, not sure what I'm looking at most of the time.

Everything here appear squashed as though you finished a scene and scaled it all down vertical. Windows just above the ground, barrel squished short, lamps at first floor level, would hit head on shop sign, and so on. I'm not sure if it's to squeeze everything into eye level or totally avoid any sky work.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like it's coming along...
  • Czar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to post and say keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look like in the end :)
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels like allot of what u have is really good but i can barely see it maybe you should have a screen shot with out lighting, just to show us what you are working with. And the floor its just too much, its well painted but too noisy. maybe you could still use it. just more sparingly, like around corners. and then make a different more bland texture that does not distract as much to fill out most of the ground