Home Technical Talk

3ds Max command line baking?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
Does anyone know if it's possible to bake out an object using the command line controls in 3ds max? I've been looking at the render controls, but I don't see any render to texture options. It's not a big deal, as with most things that are decimated out of Zbrush I can get the detail I need out of them. But, it would be cool to be able to do what Xnormal does in Max, and if Max didn't ever have to load the high poly in video memory it seems like I could get it to bake it out. I could be wrong though.

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You can launch maxscripts from the command prompt. it should be possable if your willing to do some scripting
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes with maxscript you can for example hide the render window and for example render only sections. I am not 100% if that section or crop rendering works with the RTT mode as well but it would be worth checking out.

With that you could bake separate patches of the final bake and stitch them together in photoshop. That way you can reduce the render processing per slice and don't need a x amount of ram or a stable max version.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks, guys. I was just talking to a guy here at work, and he sent me a script that automates ao baking, so I'm going to see if I can rework to make it run from command line. I'm more of a copy and paste guy when it comes to scripting, so this could be interesting. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    please post it if it works and your co worker/boss don't mind.