Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Andrew Seyko - Level Designer

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ApolloX88 polycounter lvl 6
First real thread here. I think it is about time I man up and post this here. I am a recent graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and am looking for work as a Level Designer. I am currently working on getting my environment art skills up to snuff to compliment, but none of the stuff on the site is my assets yet.

I started with the Hammer Engine and am teaching myself the UDK right now, but have used UT3 in the past. I plan on soon changing the layout of the site to give a page for each level, instead of the lightbox setup I have now. There would be a thumbnail on the main page for each level, then it would go to said page.

Any thoughts, comments, and critiques would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting new work soon.

http://aws3d.com/

---

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Don't fade in your name and info at the start of the video. Don't start the video off with still images. the TF2 stuff is stronger than the first level you show. You play spaces in general look too wide open for TF2 play, or they aren't surrounded with interesting BG art. You need more medium and small detail in spaces, stuff like rock, grass, pebbles, that can break up large patches of solid ground.

If you are moving on to UDK, show off some path node/AI work. Also, set up some kind of scripted sequence you trigger by moving through the level; a bridge exploding or something. Of course, these are all ideas if you want to be just a LD.

Also, don't use a pop up based image browser that takes that long to expand and load the image.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah.. lightbox is no bueno!
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First reaction is to mute and fast forward. The video isn't necessary since you aren't showing off gameplay mechanics, flow, flythroughs, etc.

It's hard to determine what you're actually interested in, level design is a loose term. It feels extremely amateurish in terms of utilizing their environment art. If you aren't focusing on this, then you need to better showcase your other skills.

I recommend focusing on a single editor/engine and becoming an expert.