Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brokenheart

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage
Character concept sketch.
main.jpg
Hi poly model in progress for low poly character. Cutting everything back to basics and trying to make every element count. Would appreciate crits :)
bh01.jpg
Cheers Chris

Replies

• Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    Cool concept and great modeling! The scope isn't really useful on a shotgun, though :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far Kanga, left breast looks a little bigger than the right....possibly due to the lack of creases under the left breast? Could just be a trick of the light though. Top stuff man :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    seth. wrote: »
    left breast looks a little bigger than the right....

Sometimes that happens in life.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty nice moddeling here good details for sure, love the boots! One crit would be that I think you have over sculpted the arms here a bit, they have a way too much definition for a standard female, and if she were a body builder her shoulders would be much broader. Also, the shoulder to arm transition is off here and makes the upper arm look funky. Either way Id broaden her shoulders slightly and bring down the definition in the neck, females have very soft necks,compared to males and the sternomastoid is often hardly visible if at all.

hope it helps!

-Woog
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks guys,... nice to get a look through fresh eyes!

Thanks for the directions they are really, really useful.
    Back to work :)

Cheers
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her quads muscles [above the knees] look like rolls of fat. More muscular reference images. Otherwise I like her.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Great sculpting, I love the lower half, the legs have great definition and the socks and boots are ace. I do feel that the muscles on her stomach look a bit off, maybe too well defined. Maybe you can smooth it out just a bit and let her hips flow better. I would agree with woogity about the arms as well, they are too defined. Otherwise cool beans!
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Nice sculpt work, Im not sure if they are supposed to be like this but i think there's something not quite right about the hands.. Maybe they are a little to masculine/bony?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Been messing :)
    naked.jpg
    Did some tweaking on the figure: softened the elbows and arm, hands, mastoid, bellybutton. Tried to connect the upper arm better, knee flap, smaller ribcage, thinner waist and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks for the comments.
    Cheers
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks much better. Her knees look like barn owl faces.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Better than screaming babies? :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Morphed a bit since the last version.
    Tatts are high saturation atm. Face has changed into something more attractive I hope. Texture blockin.
    broken_col.jpg
    Cheers
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! Really solid work so far.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, your old face had much more personallity. She looks like a... ehm... **** doll now.

The sculpting is nice though, eventhough her body is as far from my personal preference as you can get ^^
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I love models like this, where real design is being put into the texturing. I'm assuming you drew the arm tattoo yourself? It would be great if you could post an image of it, before it is combined with everything else for the final texture passes.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hboybowen
    JGcount, Thanks guys. Will try and human the face up so that it has more character. Posters on other forums like this last face better. I find women a real challenge. I tend to make them way too lumpy. Trying to find a style the market likes and what I like is an ongoing thing. Appreciate your comments.

haikai, thankyou!

Razgriz, thanks, aaaargh, the tatt is on a layer in zbrush. Something weird happened and half the paintwork got dumped on the base texture. I dont know how, I havent touched the bake button. Will show a flat version when I get home.

Thanks very much for the reactions.
    Cheers
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definantly go with what you like the most yourself, I've just realized I always want to try and get as much character and personality into my personal characters.

Generic pretty ladies are what you do to cater to the masses. Megan fox is pretty, but she isnt very interesting in the long run. You want people to remember you character(for being good ofc :D)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    JGcount wrote: »
    Definantly go with what you like the most yourself, I've just realized I always want to try and get as much character and personality into my personal characters.

Generic pretty ladies are what you do to cater to the masses. Megan fox is pretty, but she isnt very interesting in the long run. You want people to remember you character(for being good ofc :D)

I think you hit on the core of what it means to be a commercial artist. I have pretty much done whatever I wanted with all my other characters. A really good illustrator told me long ago that the trick is to satisfy yourself AND the client because that is where the sport is. That is what I am trying to do with this figure.

Thanks for your comment, you really went to the heart of it all.

Cheers.
  • pbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey one thing, I think you did a bang up job with the modeling, but with the texturing, her face didn't come out right. You've modeled really well, but go take another look at the face it just doesn't look right. I know it isn't the most specific critique, I think your sculpting is just great, but the texturing on the face is taking away from the sculpting rather than adding to it, again, its not a super specific critique but I hope it helps.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    pbot wrote: »
    ...texturing on the face is taking away from the sculpting rather than adding to it, again, its not a super specific critique but I hope it helps.
    Texturing on the face is incomplete and yes this crit is very helpful. I will be especially careful with the texture.

Thanks man.