Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fancy Rendering Scene/Setup - Lighting How To?

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
I've never been able to set up a good looking rendering stage to show off models. I'm a modeler/texture artist and I have very little technical knowledge of how 3DS Max works in terms of lighting and good renders and stuff.

How do I set up a good scene to showcase models in 3DSMax? Whenever I try I always get washed out ruined messes, even when I follow advanced lighting tutorials word for word.

Example of the resulting mess.

terriblelighting.png

Replies

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Low poly with hand painted textures isn't really meant to be shown off using scanline or raytrace renders.

You're better off doing screen captures from your viewport as it more accurately represents the means. For the case of what you have there i would just apply a basic Lambert with self-illumination set to about 80-90%. No anti-aliasing either (although this is a stylized way of showing off assets).

If you wanted to just show your models, that lighting setup with a quick AO pass multiplied over top and no textures, is what i would use to show modeling skills.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Try out the UDK and familarize yourself with that. If you are making game assets they are going to be in an engine anyways.. might as well show them off there.

The simplest light rig is a 3 point lighting setup... with a strong key light angled down from in front on one side of the model. A fill light on the opposite front side at a little bit lower intensity.. and a backlight behind the model.