Home Technical Talk

Modeling velcro?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
Probably a rather weird question, but what is the best way to model velcro for ingame use (using cryengine, but generally would be fine :P).

I'm modeling a Remington 870 MCS shotgum for a unannounced mod, and it has a velcro attached shell holder on one side, and I thought it would be interesting to use this in the reload animation.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    For a firstperson gun if it's right up close and you want it to look awesome, I'd use alpha planes, just strips of opacity-mapped parts lined up next to each other.

Not many polys, very easy to do, you just need to model one velcro piece in highpoly, instance it in a long line, bake that down to get the normals/opacity, and use that on a set of lowpoly planes.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I don't think I would ever attempt to model velcro, something like that would be done in the texture/crazybump. Doesn't seem like a very effecient use of time.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree that crazy bump or something similar might be good enough. It depends how close the camera gets, but I would crazy bump it first and see how it looks before wasting time modeling something u might not even be able to see.

Just my 2 cents :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair/fur and bake?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, my take on it is, if you're gonna see it up close in first person, doing something the way i suggested isn't going to take very long, it isn't going to be very expensive (a few alpha-tested planes), and will probably look considerably better than a flat texture when animated (nice parallax motion).

Admittedly I probably wouldn't do it myself in a FPS weapon model, but if you wanna show off and do something awesome then it might be worth it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The view angle needs to be taken into account also. Since it's a first person view weapon there's a good chance the silhouette will read better with a few alpha tested planes, vs a flat box which would look better from more of a straight on angle.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    The view angle needs to be taken into account also. Since it's a first person view weapon there's a good chance the silhouette will read better with a few alpha tested planes, vs a flat box which would look better from more of a straight on angle.

It's going to be in the cryengine, and it will be viewed from a couple of different view points, from the rear when using it, and side o when reloading/adding attachments. could I create a box with alphas for the fibres, and just scale it in on itself, while keeping the UV scale the same, to get the layered look?