Home Technical Talk

Lens Material

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
I'm working on a sniper rifle right now, and facing a little problem on how to make a decent rifle scope lens materials.

How to make a realistic looking lens instead of just plug in an opacity maps like what I've showed in this thread? Do we need to create another material just for the glass/ lens? *currently I'm having all in 1 material.

I prefer to add another map type (reflection/ refraction?) instead of creating a new material just for the glass for a better file-organize. Well, I'm not too sure about this, hope that anyone who have loads of experiences working on 3D will help me understand more about this.

Any help will be much appreciated guys :)

PS: I'm using 3ds Max 2010.

_Revel

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Depends what your plans are for this. Is it going to go in-engine? Or is it for an offline renderer? If it's only for renders and nothing else, Mental ray has some nice glass materials you can use and save yourself some time.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    This is not for a game?
    then def. go for a separate material for the lens
    you can have different ramps attached to viewing angle to give the look of a Lens refracting light, as well as lens coatings, special effects, etc.
    If this is for a game,
    1 it has an unnecessarily huge poly count.
    2 just go for a cube map and reflectivity map.

hope this helps (at least a little)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think the lens is the least of the problems, but it really depends on the shader you use, just up the gloss and the spec there and make a reflection mask there or use the glossmap as a reflection mask with a nice cubemap :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For non real time, if you've modeled out the inside of the scope, Put a Thin Wall Refraction material in the Refraction (not reflection) slot and crank up the properties. It will give you the coke bottle distortion a lens has.

il_map_thin_wall.jpg
    http://www.kxcad.net/autodesk/3ds_max/Autodesk_3ds_Max_9_Reference/thin_wall_refraction_map.html

Then you drop a map in the reflection map slot and away you go. If you want the surface to accurately reflect the world around the surface put a Raytrace material in the Reflection slot. It will kill the time it takes to render but will be highly accurate. Also know that a Raytrace material also has Refractive material extensions which help with this kind of effect.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i think gloss map
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    For a realtime lens, would be neat to use one of these. Just thought it was interesting that these two threads popped up next to each other. http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=72528 http://wiki.polycount.net/DuDv_Map
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Thanks guys, really appreciated all these answers!
    My plan initially its for a game model, and yea its way too much polycounts right now for a in-game asset.

Currently I wanna build up my portfolio, targeting to apply a job for a game assets creation studio. So what what you see on that other thread, i thought of a hi-poly version, probably for a cinematic use. And after that gonna make the low-poly version out of it for the in-game use, and can show both of them side by side.

For right now I'm gonna do more research about gloss map, cube map and reflectivity map, since I'm not too familiar with these map type.

Thanks again guys! :)

_Revel