Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me to improve...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sebas polycounter lvl 14
I'm lost, my head is warm, no jobs these months, depressed like never before; I know I have so much to learn but I don't know what to do 'next' :(

Feel free to take a look at my signature, I'd thank your opinion and/or some suggestions (or a job!)... help me to improve:

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Well what are you trying to get a job as? Character Artist? Environment Artist? It's hard to tell from the website alone, there's a little bit of everything to be honest, some of which doesn't look finished.

What you might want to considering doing is deciding what you'd like to get a job as (Character artist, perhaps?) and look at the work of other Character artists then try to meet that standard.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph gives some solid advice. Figure out what you wish to do, and then polish that skill to the AAA standard.

Having a little skill in everything is good, but focusing on one skill to polish it as much as you can will be what gets you noticed. Employers don't look so much at someone who can do many things good; they look at those who can do one thing GREAT.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Follow the Rainbow.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebas:

Create art that matters, that is fun not because you want to be the next 'wanna be' game artist. Seriously, you need to sit with yourself and dig deep to find out why you even have a website. I can tell you that if you are doing it for the money this is the worst career for it.

Because if you are going to chicken out and sit in a dark room, then might as well stop here and now dude. With all due respect to the past comments, I say create stuff that beats nowadays portfolios/ videogame standards. The higher you aim the better your work will get.

I know I came across as a little harsh, but we all need to be slapped every once in a while to get back up. My best advice is be the next 'bad-ass' artist, GLuck :thumbup:
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I agree concerning the lack of focus in your portfolio. Just applying trying to get a job is not good enough either. You need focus, and your potential employer needs to see that. It's why doing works targeted at certain markets, or certain companies can be a great boon.

Think about what you really want to do in the industry, get your portfolio together, then go at them tiger ;)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Were are you from Sebas? from witch part of spain?
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Well, there are other things here that need to be addressed, not only with the art specifically. Honestly, your portfolio layout/design (lack there of) is not helping much either.

You want to give the employer the answer to all of his potential questions right up front, so he can focus on the quality of art, and not get confused with how the work is presented. When I went to your portfolio all it looked like to me was a basic graphic, your email, and a bunch of mis-matching pictures almost just thrown onto the page. Use some styling, make your photos flow (border, name at the bottom, technical info, etc). As of now it looks like there was 4 minutes spent putting this together, and you don't want to make yourself look like someone who's gonna half ass anything, especially in this industry.

Along with the portfolio itself, it looks like your art is rather "bland". On some of the pieces your textures look far too clean and perfect. Mess that stuff up, pretend it was in the real world, how would it deteriorate and wear?

Those are just some things to consider after briefly looking at your work, but I'm sure there are a few more things. I'm kinda in your same position so take what I said with a grain of salt, but I don't think any of what I said is completely out of line.

Don't get frustrated, just keep practicing and in time your work will improve.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Were are you from Sebas? from witch part of spain?

Huesca
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    100% agree with other comments about focus and portfolio layout

+ in your portfolio you should put only your very best piece, get rid of the last drawing sheet with the pink hair girl. If you fell that you are very happy with only 1 image among your things then put this one in home page. leave the others in a gallery section.

i'm junior and found this job because of 1 image

Look at this. I'm sure you will find it valuable

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012479
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what you need to do to get a job:

Get rid of the 2D stuff, its not good, and unless you want to be a concept artist or something, you really dont need to be putting 2D stuff in there, you need to be focused on 1 specific discipline. I assume from here that you want to be a 3D character artist.

Get 3 really really solid pieces, present them clearly with wireframe, low poly, high poly, bake, and UV's.

And then don't just let it sit there on your website, you have to contact by post and email and conferences AND phone, every developer in your country. If any are local, deliver by hand a CD of your stuff.

If you seriously do that, 3 pieces of character art to the standard of a $60 game, you will get a job in a matter of weeks/couple months.

P.S. I see you are from Spain. Once your portfolio is good enough and ready, you need to apply to all countries in EU not just Spain, at Lionhead with have TONNES of Spanish ppl.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    ricolas71 wrote: »

Sorry I can't open those XMLs rightly, what program should I use? Thanks.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice is to never look back!!! No seriously, get a good piece rolling and avoid getting caught up in the little shit that at the end of the day will be overlooked. If while you are working on something you get stuck on a part, come back to it later or just move on! Move on!! move on!!

PS: move on
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    sebas wrote: »
    I think it's Power Point you need. It's part of Microsoft Office.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's Power Point you need. It's part of Microsoft Office.

... not really :/
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebas man, you sound depressed as fuck! And you have yet to reply to anyone that actually gave you some good feedback. Take a look at all the artist that are getting jobs in the Job Census thread. Look at their portfolios and maybe you will see what it takes to get a job. So what do you want to do? Environments? Characters? what studios would you like to work at? Answer these questions if you really want us to help you out.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, first thing I did when I went to your portfolio is look for your resume. Where the hell is it?
    Dude right there, that's really bad. I wanted to know what your experience was, how long you have been looking for a job. Did you go to school? Did you have an internship? I know nothing about you from you website. And unless the work is really drop down awesome, no one will contact you and ask you for this information.
    Also, do not give a link to your email threw outlook or whatever. To me that's just annoying. I don't use it and I have to cancel the setup it automatically does. I thought perhaps it might be a way to view your resume, instead I have to exit out of that annoying program trying to set itself up.

So anyways, How long have you been searching for a job? I'm pretty sure I saw you post your portfolio for review about a month ago. I have been searching for a studio job for over 2 years now! So buck up man. What are you so depressed about? If it was easy to get a job in the game industry, 50 percent of the world's population might be game artists right now.

I see getting a job in the games industry as a rite of passage, that you will only obtain when you have really put the hard work and effort in.

As others have said, find out what you want to do, character art, environment art, generalist, and stick to it. Make a few really awesome pieces and you will be in good shape. And for god sake's get your resume up there! Good luck! ;)

[Edit] and I'll just leave you a crit real quick. The first image the man has a highlight going around him. I can't understand this. He looks very stylized and the rest of the world looks like a completely different style to me. In other words the whole thing doesn't seem to fit. I do think this is one of your better pieces, but when that is the first thing you see, I have to say it hurts you a lot. Perhaps working on that piece some more, or taking out that character (the man) might work out better.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks 'everybody' for your help, really. Let me think about it. Thread closed.
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    My links opens with power point. If you don't have it, i think there are software to read ppt without office. I've got "power point viewer" in mind. don't know if it opens xml.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

you can read the pptx file you linked with the power point viewer (free) you can find it on Microsoft's site somewhere.

I have no idea what job you're trying to get, where your resume is, etc.

While I dig the imagedump-style of portfolio you're going for (and some other counters like eraserhead pull off pretty well), you need to focus the content, name what position you are for looking for, and what your full name is.

go read http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/ because its pretty much required reading for anyone putting together a portfolio.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I`m not sure if you can relocate, but check here for a pretty good list of potential employers. Barcelona might be the closest big city with some companies.

I suppose it depends on what kind of job you want- If your looking to get into mobile, flash, web development, you probably have a good set of skills to start with. If your looking to do console/PC dev, you have a ways to go. If this is the case, I`d abandon any hope for character work (for now) and try and get your foot in the door through environment work. Once you get settled, then I'd take a stab at doing characters.

and the thread is SO not closed :P
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 'everybody' for your help, really. Let me think about it. Thread closed.

What is there to think about?

Also, why do you want to close the thread...?

Seriously; less thinking, more doing! Action beats out thought EVERY time when you know what you are working towards.

You should also probably double the polycounts on everything 3D in your portfolio, and also double all the texture resolutions. Your work looks fitting... for a Dreamcast game. Don't take that the wrong way either; you asked for ways to improve, and we're giving them to you. In this industry, learning to take criticism is a skill in and of itself.