Home Technical Talk

What's the best way to texture Eyes?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
I sort of made up my own little workflow but I have a feeling its not really the best way to texture eyes. So I'll explain how I do it now, and if anyone can chime in and explain a better way, I would really appreciate it!

Usually I make a sphere with 12 Segments. Then I delete the back half and unwrap it.
I take that same sphere clone it and add a turbo smooth modifier to bake normals from.
I use this shader by Ben Cloward: http://www.bencloward.com/shaders_NormalMapMaker.shtml
to simply grab sphere normals from the viewport. Example: take a sphere>cut it in half> apply the realtime shader to the sphere and grab it from the front viewport to get perfect bowl shaped normals.

These normals are used to make the Iris and Pupil indented in the normals.
8867.jpg

[See the image below to see how I set the normals up.]
Making the normals like this for the pupil and iris is the part I'm not sure if I should bother doing. I'm wondering if these normals actually make the eye textures look more believable or retract from it.

Anyways, the way I texture the eyes beyond this point should be self explainitory from the images below.

Soooo... Does anyone have advice or know a better way? I'm really interested to know if I am approaching eyes correctly for viewing realtime in videogames.

EyeWorkFlow.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that image is tiny I cant see what your doing there. Do the eyes you are making look good to you? I still havent done a proper job on eyes in the past I usually just use a slightly edited half sphere with diffuse and specular on it but this seems to work for middle distance shots but not so great for close ups
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ged: Yeah, I have small images there because its screens from a model that is under NDA. The model and textures turned out great, but I feel the eyes are letting it down a little. That is why I started this thread.

I did however look at the textures from gears of war to see how they did it. I believe I was on the right track with my approach.

Eric: Thanks so much for that link! I tried the shader in 3ds max and it wouldn't work, but the thread is full of good information on how to make realistic eyes. I think I can replicate that look with the Xoluilshader.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thats a great link Eric I might try making eyes like that in future with max as well so please let us know if it works Brad or if you can replicate it using xoluil