Home Technical Talk

Issue: Move Tool (3DSMax)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
Hopefully I'm not making a thread that has already been made. I searched Google/yahoo and asked some friends and came up with nothing.

Problem I am having:
When I select anything on my model, it gets screwed up when I move it. This ranges from verts to faces to lines. Anything I move with the move tool (Is that what its called?) it gets all weird.

I used to fix this, by going to: Compound>Create>Boolean, and it would stop causing this problem. Thing is, I have some modifiers on, and I don't want it to collapse on me when my model gets more detailed. So thought maybe one of you guys might know how to fix this silly issue.

Here is a pic of what I mean. (I selected the verts and moved them in this pic:)
problem.png

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Are you trying to move the entire object by selecting all of the verts and moving them? If so (not sure why you would....but..) make sure you don't have a constraint turned on. It will be right under the "Edit Geometry" sub-group of your editable poly tools.

Part 2 - Never attempt to move an object by selecting all of a sub-object selection, unless you are working with instances or some other funky reason.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It almost looks like you have edge constraints turned on. It happened to me a while back. Turned it on and forgot to turn it off. Try that.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I had Constraints on my face's of the model.
    I dont want to move my entire model, I was just showing what it was doing when I moved any part of it.

Thank-you so much! Saved me so much time!
    (Sorry if this question sounded stupid, lol, :) )

Edit: Thanks to both of you! Really appreciate it.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    There aren't any stupid questions! It could have happened to anybody and it might answer someone elses questions in the future!