Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Syndicate Environment

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
My goal is to create a fully finished environment in the UDK inspired by the old syndicate games and general cyberpunk awesomeness.

I havent done any finished environments for my portfolio so thats the aim really, that and to have some great fun making cool stuff and learning more about the UDK.

so onto the details.

my reference comes from both syndicate games as well as blade runner and appleseed/ghost in a shell. Watched blade runner recently for some fantastic enviro inspiration :).

syn_reference.jpg

Heres a basic plan of what I hope to have in the environment, I have done rough perspective sketches of this layout to get an idea of what the camera view would be like and used those to plan this layout.

levelplan.jpg

I also sketched an idea for the church of the new epoc building at the back of the area.

epoc_sketch.jpg

Asset List:

floors:
at least 2 tiling floor textures
concrete tiles
metal grid

road:
1x junction piece
1x straight
1x floating ball

walls:
brick walls
corregated iron

windows:
at least 2 varieties of tiling rectangular window layouts

roof:
2x roof sections

walkway:
1x tiling metal grid walkway

Doors:
1x sci fi door

stairs:
3x stair sets for the steps
- a middle, a left and a right

light tower:
lights seperate from tower

generator prop:
1x half sphere scifi generator thing

lots of screens/tvs:
3 varieties of screen with attached wires
to be placed around the scene on towers
or buildings

Church of New Epoc:
get to this once the others done, unique hero building

heres my progress on the light tower high poly model. I plan to divide this into 2 parts - light and fittings/bracing, and the tower itself. This way I can reuse the lights on buildings etc.

tower_highpoly2.jpg

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    1f3cbc040e0b72c218d2b7a13c6e4a59.gif

Syndicate was really ahead of it's time. The light post looks really cool, good distribution of detail. I dig the idea of making modular lights. There's lots of fun stuff you can do with an environment like this if you're not burnt out by the end.

Relevant quote from Syndicate Wars is relevant.

"Poor workers blame their tools. Good workers build better tools. The best workers get their tools to do the work for them."
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    those pics of syndicate wars bring back some memories.. great idea!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nice man. I was working on this exact kinda thing (syndicate redo)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Nice man. I was working on this exact kinda thing (syndicate redo)

cool how far did you get? would be fun to make a syndicate mod some day or something.

thanks for the encouragement Matt and Rooster I loved the syndicate games your right they were way ahead of thier time wish there was a new one with fully destructable environs like bad company 2 :D

heres the lowpoly for the light tower, bear in mind pieces of this are going to be duplicated alot so the final tower might be about 14000tris...is that too much? seems ok to me as these are gonna be a large part of the environment.

The only things which are a little too high poly are the wires hanging there they are about 2000 tris but I cant find any easy way to optimise them - maybe remove a few edge loops :/

tower_lowpoly1.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    depends on the viewpoint I think.. if it's going to be the same as the syndicate games, I'd be tempted just to do the wires as flat polys, you won't get as close as the views you're showing us
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rooster wrote: »
    depends on the viewpoint I think.. if it's going to be the same as the syndicate games, I'd be tempted just to do the wires as flat polys, you won't get as close as the views you're showing us

ah I see what you mean but Im actually intending to do this like its a syndicate fps...think counter strike but cyberpunk agents and add a healthy dose of fully destructable environment and npcs to "persuadertron". I cant achieve all that myself so Im just making the environment as I imagine it would be in a game like that :)

brought it down to 7000 tris by removing lots of loops from the wires and they still look fine
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    brilliant idea, loved the games, will be watching this fo sho
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    cool man, looking forward to some more
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept renewal..Will look forward to your work's progress..Thanks for sharing. :)
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking the style and vibe. Keep it going!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great to know people are excited about the idea :D

heres the lowpoly of the tower with the bake in xnormal. Its made of 3 re-usable meshes, the light+lightfittings , the wires and the pillar itself. At the moment this is 3 maps pillar = 2048x2048, light+fittings = 1024x1024 and wires = 1024x1024. Ill see if I can keep these texture sizes or not later when its in engine. 5808 tris

tower_lowpoly2.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Normals came out great on that piece. I will definitely be watching and learning.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    fuck yes
    shaping up real cool. : ) definitely an all-time fav. series of mine
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Freaking nice, can't wait to see this evolve.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Damn! Gotta follow this one.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Syndicate was one of my favorite games of all time, right up there with Xcom and Magic Carpet. I can't wait to see an inspired version of the environment!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey polycounters Im working on this when I can, theres alot to learn!

Im currently learning about lightmap uv channels and how to create them without losing your other channel.
    I recommend checking this thread out if your using max to create lightmap uvs as it clarified alot of things for me: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52648

Ben Apuna's advice and links on this page are very useful indeed http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67290&page=26

Ive got the tower pillar part pretty much done and spent some time testing in udk to see how lightmaps work - theyre a tad messy :P.

I just need to do the light fittings and wires textures next.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    needed more pictures :) this is in xnormal, Im using xnormal as a texture preview window, what do you guys use to preview textures?

tower_lowpoly3.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stamp of approval, GET
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Syndicate, YES
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    No, you got your Syndicate in my Blade Runner! Looks good man.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I like everything except the column, it looks too plain right now. You've got a nice base with some wear and weathering at the corners, then as you go up it's untouched concrete and the ladder, then even further up we get to some more interesting metal bits. There's sort of a gap of detail. Maybe add some discoloration/cracks/wear to the column?

Other than that it's awesome.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    doeseph wrote: »
    I like everything except the column, it looks too plain right now. You've got a nice base with some wear and weathering at the corners, then as you go up it's untouched concrete and the ladder, then even further up we get to some more interesting metal bits. There's sort of a gap of detail. Maybe add some discoloration/cracks/wear to the column?

Other than that it's awesome.

Cheers for the approval guys heh :)
    thanks for that doeseph I had it more weathered before this and toned it down but maybe toned it down too much.

gotta make a floor tile soon, I want it to have variation textures like the unreal floors use in thier material setup but I dont really know how that works.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Hells yes! Makes me want to play syndicate again right now. Anyone know if it runs in windows7? I presume some kind of compatibility setting should be able to get it to work... maybe?

Awesome work so far Ged :D
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything i was just curious if you could share your render set up you used for your tower. Ive seen similar results from other artist on this site and was just wondering what setting your using or if there was a tutorial you used. Thanks!

tower_highpoly2.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha I remember this game! This is turning out so good, excited to see more!

Awesome work.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    ill keep a close eye on this one ! syndicate and cyberpunk in general totally owns and gets seriously under represented !
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved this game when my dad bought me the original and the stupidly hard addon missions American revolt when i was a kid. I really hope this turns out well for you and for the inner kid in me who would love to see a remake/sequal to these games. How about a couple of those bill boards with trailers for ghost in the shell & dungeon keeper on them :).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ro-Sham-Bo wrote: »
    Ok I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything i was just curious if you could share your render set up you used for your tower.

no problem its a setup done by a polycount member hes got a great tutorial on his website http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/updates.htm

yeah I got my mom to buy me syndicate wars when I was about 13 used to play syndicate plus before that lol, megabiv I plan on putting screens in there but I dont know if I can get away with putting those in although that would be cool haha.

thanks warby and creation oh and electro :)

to play syndicate you might need the application dosbox for windows, dont know if it will work.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    made a floor tile today combo of 3dsmax, xnormal for highpoly bake, photoshop for textures, crazybump for added wear and edges.

synd_floortiile1.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Solid. From what I remember the lighting should make these tiles a bit darker overall. Then again I'm most familiar with the Playstation version of Syndicate Wars, which like all Playstation games of that time, was just kind of dark.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, loved Syndicate (and wars). Not sure why they haven't done a 'reboot' by now ... it's criminal.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Just to let you people know this project is not dead :) I just had a jagex art test to do last weekend so I couldnt do much. I managed to get some of the assets into udk tonight, the water is an edited version of the hourences eat3d shader but I really want everything below the waterline to be alot darker like a murky shadow...not sure how that would be done.
    synd_screenshot1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im busy working on this got 2 more pieces of the environment done, a walkway and fence and a set of stairs.

1 question - I created a tiling static mesh in max that is 128 wide but when I bring it into udk by right clicking and going add actor->staticmesh it always seems slightly off the grid and cant be aligned with anything properly, what have I done wrong?
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you're all on x:0 y:0 z:0 in max/maya before you export. Unrealed can be a real bitch if you aren't super careful with the grid.

Also sometimes if you right click there's the option to 'snap to grid'. I'm not sure why this appears for some meshes/brushes and not others, though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks! ok I found that the mesh was out by 0.015 didnt think that would make such a difference but it does. Another noob question, I imported all my meshes and textures(this took a while) and hit save yesterday and it asked me which package to save and I selected my package and now I looad the map this morning and there is nothing in the package! Why didnt it save?

*edit nope the mesh still isnt aligned to the grid properly even with its axis set to 0,0,0
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First the meshes need to be placed in the map before you save, unreal automatically removes anything in the map package isn't being referenced.

The only other thing would be to ensure that it is certainly 128 generic units wide/high. You might want to try setting the mesh so one side runs along 0 on the x axis and one at 0 on the y axis. If that doesn't work I guess it could be just to do with the size of the grid you're using, try a smaller grid. Personally I've been working on a 1x1 grid!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for all the help matt I ended up having to use a 1x1 grid anyways but Im learning heh heres some screenshots of this weekends progress

synd_screenshot3.jpg

synd_screenshot4.jpg
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Really digging these final images.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hell fucking yes. Syndicate Rocks, your art rocks, this shall ROOOOOCK!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking those lighttowers, keep it up. I remember reading in the materials compendium that there is a shader function for pretty much exactly making water darker with depth... here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html#DestDepth
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks alot guys! yeah that looks like what I need rasmus, now I just need to figure out how to use it in the material editor.

Im starting to think that floor texture Ive got is too "in your face" and I might make something a little more like standard concrete tiles.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    you could less -in your face it by making those metal bits smaller, and the actual concrete tiles larger
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty cool Ged, I loved Syndicate when I was younger.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem Ged. Your scene is coming together really nicely.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    wow man, great looking renders! awesome piece of work too! I look forward to getting this good someday! :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    JonathanF wrote: »
    wow man, great looking renders! awesome piece of work too! I look forward to getting this good someday! :)

are you being sarcastic? haha Im not great yet, merely average by my standards, well I guess we are all trying to constantly improve.

thanks samson teaandcigs and mattbradley! I have another art test to do so might not get much time for this for another week.

things Im working on.
    1. default brick wall textures
    2. improving post processing and bloom
    3. making windows for buildings
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    The first render was great, but the engine shots look boring and uninspired. I was hoping to see some honest and fresh colors like the bionic commando rearmed stuff:
    bionic-commando-rearmed.jpg
    Because the first syndicate games had some good feel for colors as well:
    1252637-syndicate_super.png
    Instead of a cold warm (blue / orange) color palette back then distinctive color areas were used. Like the one I posed is more greenish with a hint of violet and lots of dark gray. But others use lots of sand tones, orange with a great mix of black and dark gray.

Maybe study some of the color choices of the original game as well and not just the designs of the shapes. Because I think the use of colors was a major part of what described the art and design direction back then and why it still looks good these days.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    renderhjs wrote: »
    The first render was great, but the engine shots look boring and uninspired.

Thanks Renderhjs I havent got around to post processing the colours or choosing the correct lighting yet those shots Ive showed so far are just shots to show off what Ive got in engine, I dont intend to go for an uber colourful retro look but I do want it to have a bit of a bladerunner vibe. When I mentioned Improving post processing and bloom I meant - just figuring out how it all works, So yeah Im thinking muddy greens and violet and purple/blue screens on tvs in a night time or dusk environment. Thanks for the input it will come in handy when I do get around to that stage of the project.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yea, Syndicate was great! Ahh the memories! Cant wait to see it in UT