Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vehicle - 1980s Landrover Series III

Hello all!

This is my first post here. I've scrounged around the CGSociety forums for a few years, but the game art section there is shrinking...so I figured its time to move on.

Anyways, here's what I'm working on at the moment. Its a 1980's Landrover Series III. Currently its at 18,200 tris, and has a 2048 color, spec, and normal map. This is the softop version, but I'm also creating a hard top and armored variant.

Series_III_Latest.jpg
LowPolyLandrover2.jpg

Also, here is the highpoly for the 3 variants.

LandRover_Series_III_High_1-1.jpg
Soft Top
landrover_hardtop_2.jpg
Hard Top

LandroverSeriesIIIArmouredHighPoly2.jpg
Armored

I will be making a low poly for the hard top and armored version, and a damaged state for each variant.

Critiques and Comments welcome!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So no critiques means that my work is absolutely perfect and doesn't need to be improved upon right? I kid I kid..

Started working on the Hard Top version. Just had to make the low poly hard top and replace the canvas top with it. Got it modeled and unwrapped today, will do Normal/AO bake tomorrow.

HardTop_Lowpoly_1.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    the modeling looks pretty solid to me. I'd say you could round out the wheel wells a good bit more to make their c curve match that of the tire. why have so many polys around the tire to make it look round but not the wheel well?
    Texture wise I'd personally say some more edge wear and detailing would benefit this model a good chunk. Especially around the front bumper. Also, I'm sure in a lot of your reference everything on the truck might have been painted that powder-coat green but i'd say break up the colors a bit with the grill and bumbler making them an old faded chrome or grey metal. It's just break up the boringness of green all over.
    Nice job!
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    The modelling is awesome, the texturing is really bad. If thats a 2048 texture then either its a bad render or your UVs must be poor as you're getting very bad resolution.

Your metal doesent really look like metal, and there is no evidence of any wear or tear, or even any dirt in corners or mud up the side.

I would watch racers box tutorial on some ideas for texturing painted metal, and go out and photograph a dirty landrover (preferably white) This will give you some good refs and probably some images you can blend into your texture.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Southpaw: Someone at CGTalk also mentioned that I should round out the wheel well. I'll do that.

Drav: I agree my textures look like butt :p. These are screengrabs from 3dsMax and I'm thinking that it might only be displaying them at 1024 in the viewport, I'll have to check. Anyways, I have a little bit of an update on the textures that I'll throw up tonight with some mud on the bottom of the body. It might still need to be reworked though, we'll see.

Also, I've heard of the racers box tutorial before, but I can never seem to find it. I've searched for it here, youtube, google, etc.. to no avail....would you happen to know where I could look to find it?
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    BOX TUTORIAL
    http://racer445.com/pages/tutorials/metal-crate-tutorial.php

youre off to a good start, i would get some mud/dirt on those lower fenders. it is a land rover afterall
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks!

Its a hefty tutorial, but I'll watch it tomorrow.

Drav: I'm including the texture map so you can see hw my UVs are layed out. Its packed pretty tight, but there is also a motorbay and interior which kinda hog space. I'm attaching pictures of those as well, since I forgot to with my original post.

Also, here is a quick update on the texture, not a whole lot different, but the metal stuff may end up getting redone after I check out the tutorial anyways.

Latest update:
    NormalComparison.jpg

TextureMaps:
    LandRoverSeriesIII_DIF.jpg
    LandRoverSeriesIII_NRM.jpg
    LandRoverSeriesIII_SPC.jpg

Interior/Motorbay:
    Interior_1.jpg
    Interior_Wire.jpg
    Motorbay.jpg
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    impressive work mate:o
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I like what you have so far except for how the car paint reacts to light. I suggest you look at how a land rover looks under different light conditions, right now it looks cg and made up. The spec is off, it looks too metallic and not matte enough. with the amount of dirt it has it would not look that way. Here is a what I mean with a picture, I hope this helps...

cotner-s3.jpg
  • GARYOSAVAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GARYOSAVAN polycounter lvl 12
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    you would use light to present your model maybe 3 point light system , and try to use this technique
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html

is great to improve your model texture :) good luck , hope this help
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap, my very first post on polycount brought back from the dead!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Hah, great to see old work. You have really improved!