Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concept - The Prodigy

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
I've been working on this concept over the last week in my spare time.

The design is for a game project that I'm going to be working on over this summer. A quick backstory on her character: Her name is Iris, sometimes called "The Prodigy." She's a young scientist experimenting with some new implant technologies that give the user telekinetic(ish) powers. She lives on a colony on the frontier of Human space, and is her own guinea-pig for the majority of her experiments... hence the blue arms.

As far as design style goes, I was trying to depart from the boxy, drab look of all too many sci-fis and develop something less expected; more organic and colorful.

ProdigyConceptPainting.jpg

Replies

• bambam007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She is definitly colourfull. I get the feeling that she is a bit of a hardened veteran at this and doesn't care too much about other people. The way she casually moves. Very relaxed and knows she's right. Perhaps you should also give her the matching slang/outback accent to her speech. The glowing veins are lovely.
  • Hercanic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hercanic polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, I like the almost plant-like labcoat (at the waist). There are some anatomy issues, though. Her arms are overly long, particularly her right arm. It looks as if her elbow would reach her hips. Her eye-line seems a bit high on the head. The base of the neck has what I imagine are meant to be the sternocleidomastoids, but that area doesn't come across quite right.
  • Hazed_blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazed_blue polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea of departing from boxy and mundane shapes. With that in mind, I think you should push this even farther in that direction. For instance, the V-/teardrop neck. Instead of it dropping down below the breast and terminating in the middle, what about arcing it to the right underneath the right breast, finishing up at the waist? Maybe make the front jacket flaps asymmetrical in length, things like that.

I like it.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    @bambam007: Thanks for the comments! It's good to hear what kind of "vibe" she gives off from someone who hasn't been staring at this for hours.

@Hercanic: Looking at it again, I see what you mean about the anatomy. Thanks for pointing those things out! I'm really trying to improve my anatomy drawing skills.

@Hazed_blue: Thanks for the comments, man! I'm glad you like it. Cool idea, too, I'll probably play around with some different designs in the future.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    There are some cool things going on here, but some other areas that could be improved.

-there is some overall wobbly-ness with the anatomy and perspective

-I think the background is too busy and colorful.

-The red/blue colorscheme is cool, but I feel the purple pants throw it off-- maybe a more neutral color for those?

-The way the legs are seems very unnatural. It is good though that you are trying for an expressive pose.

-It seems like a lot of work was put into the surface detailing. Personally I don't think it adds to the image. In general, it is better to add detail only to clarify the design, especially for concept art.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    her legs are broken.