Home Technical Talk

mudbox 2009 hangs on opening specific file

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Harry polycounter lvl 13
I've done a fair bit of sculpting on this one model and all of a sudden it started slowing down a shit-ton. I restarted mudbox only to find the program hung when trying to open that particular model up again.
Should i like, hit open and leave it on while i go have a biscuit or something, or is the file utterly broken?

edit:
it'd been waiting while i made this post, a few minutes later the file opened but it's still slow as a dick. There's only like 6 subdivision levels (the density is at a point where i can still actually see polies, to give you an idea, like, it's at a point where i'd have to divide once more for it to be appropriate for baking normals...)
is this some kind of bug or what? i've been working at this subdivision level for well over an hour and only now does it cry at me

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ok, now i've determined using a tool doesnt cause any slowdown, just anything else (rotating view, applying materials, saving etc) takes an assload of time.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    last resort - did you try subdividing that mesh once more? It saved my back a few times in the past. You can also try to reexport all the 6 levels one by one to OBJ, make a new scene, import the lowest one, subdivide, import the second one as layer, check if it works, if yes merge down, and so on...

2010 feels better too, you can always give the demo a spin and see if its better.

Also last time I had similar stuff happen, simply 'collapsing' everything to raw geo and subdivided from there did the trick iirc.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i'll try all of those in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes in about 8 hours
    thank ye very much though, those sound like the kind of things which would work