Home Technical Talk

super annoying nvidia/wacom issue - fixed, sharing the news!

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hey there,

something had been annoying me since forever and I somehow gave up on it until I stumbled upon this seemingly unrelated post :
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/archive/index.php?t-27626.html

Basically I find that photoshop and Windows in general can get quite slow when the screen is in portrait mode. Its strange tho, because Ive been using a tilted secondary display from time to time and never noticed that on vertical documents (simple stuff : reference images, text pages and such). So maybe its a photoshop thing?

So yeah - try this. Tilt your main screen vertically 90degrees and try using photoshop. It usually gives me weird cursor and menu behaviour. The painting itself is fine, but the menus drag behind and so on.

Solution : go to control panel, mouse > enable mouse trails (!!!) and put the slider at the lowest setting. All of a sudden, vertical photoshop becomes smooth again! Crazy.

I still have some issues with text entry like this reply field in Firefox (kinda slow refresh) but at least photoshop feels better. Portrait mode in photoshop is the greatest thing for character art, it feels like youre working on a screen 4 times the size!

Hope this helps!!

annoyance_GONE.jpg

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    haha, its funny that i can't understand the issue you have, maybe I do have it, and I don't know!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    hehe basically it boils down to : there is a bug/false claim about the Nvidia display driver, stating that they support full2D/3D acceleration in portrait mode, but they really dont. Somehow enabling mouse trails seems to help with the issue. I think older drivers were fine but the latest one are not ...