Home Technical Talk

is this a MR memory issue?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
hey so this render got about what looks like 20 percent of the way done then stopped calculating the reflections and I have no idea why, has anyone experienced anything like this before? I think its a memory thing because when I ran test renders at 320x240 it worked, then as soon as I upped it to HD 1080 it did this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

blagh_5.jpg

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    try set it to BSP2 which is better for lots of reflections. but you haven't really given enough info.

crazy image BTW, no idea whats going on
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had mental ray memory probelms in the past, and from my experience this wouldn't be one.
    When I had them, a error message came up, and I would 'continue anyway' and MR would only render the opacity as a diffuse, nothing else.... or it would just crash. maybe reflections are different...?

the specs of your computer, 32 or 64 bit os, polycount in your scene, and all other details could probably get you some better ideas as to what is going on.

good luck! :)
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    haha wow I forgot about this thread.. sorry I figured no one would answer so I gave up.. this is actually a water transition with fruit in the water but MR stopped calculating the rays halfway through (or a quarter?) the render. I had the sampling set too high, I ended up getting a decent render by setting it to max samples of 2 instead of 3. that water is a realflow mesh and fairly dense so its probably around 100,000 pollies, I am using a 32 bit os. How do I set the BSP2 up in maya? I know how to set the depth and size of the samples in bsp (and diagnose) but I dont know where to change the bsp to BSP2.

and thanks for the responses! haha sorry for the late replies.