Home Technical Talk

looking for methods to create distortion effect in 3dmax

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
i m looking to create a animated distortion effect that they used in games like bayonetta, devil may cry and ninja gaiden 2. like the trailing effects of the sword and shockwave when charging for a strong attack in bayonetta.

I ve heard about methods like using motion blur, but thats a post effect.

im looking for a more realtime effect.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say do it in post... but since you can't for whatever reason. You might be able to do it with planes that fan out and stretch mixed with an animated shader? It really depends on the tools you have at your disposal and the engine you're using...
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok put realtime aside, how do u do it in 3dsmax? im using it for a fight scene

here are some examples of the stuff i want to do

958890_20090924_screen052.jpg

946345_20090602_screen004.jpg

958890_20090626_screen004.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bottom one can be done with real-time Render To Texture (basically to make the scene into a texture) and dUdV (to distort that texture). I don't know if Max can do this or not, I wonder if Shader FX has a method for this?

The other shots just look like additive-textured extruded planes. Here's a plugin for making them in Max. Usually the game engine handles them for in-game use though.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a ton Eric. im so excited to try it out.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the distortion on the last screen could probably be done in udk with a translucent material and a strong normal in the distortion channel. if it's for a static shot just make geometry where you want the trail and apply the material to that - if it's supposed to be in motion you might have to use particles that use the material.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    the distortion on the last screen could probably be done in udk with a translucent material and a strong normal in the distortion channel. if it's for a static shot just make geometry where you want the trail and apply the material to that - if it's supposed to be in motion you might have to use particles that use the material.

ic but i don no if i can do a fighting cutscene like monty oum inside unreal. i think itd be pretty hard.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found that max material editor has the function of distorting the uv in the noise section. now i just need to get the refractive material setup and test it out.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    maybe blurred particles that have a refractive material and leave trails.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive tried the Distortion effect with a mental ray material that has a high IOR for refraction. but it doesn quite distort it the way a DUDV map does. ANy other way to do this?