Home General Discussion

TF2 Contribute!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
A friend of mine just sent me this link,

http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/index.php

I've been trying to think up random 'things' i could contribute. I might try cook something up this week. :)

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    This seems like the perfect time to bring back that old Axtinguisher replacement I was working on.

Excellent.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so great but I have no idea what to make.

What struck me as odd, though, it seems they don't want compiled versions? Or is it because they don't want to limit only to those who use software with exporters?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a real pain in the ass to get custom weapons working properly because Source is a bitch to work with. It'd probably be easier for them to review all the content in more common formats anyway.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    thank god, i can never get anything from maya to source anyhow. ive done countless #'s of tutorials but to no avail.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hopefully half-life 3 and an engine update will make the editor a bit more user friendly
  • uneditablepoly
    This looks really awesome! :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad to see they've finally got this out. It's a really good idea, especially since it will 'sync' the user content to everyone who owns TF2, and not just those with the same models/files as you (as it currently is). Really really am a big fan of this... think: PPM.
  • Koden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    This is so great but I have no idea what to make.

What struck me as odd, though, it seems they don't want compiled versions? Or is it because they don't want to limit only to those who use software with exporters?

I'm thinking they'd want one of the more 'generic' extentions, like .OBJ, so that they can see exactly how the item is modeled. In order to make the contribution source (ie. you and me) as broad as possible, a non-compiled format would then allow their team to reconstruct the item to fit their precise specifications (poly count, topology for texturing, etc.) Also, because they are being -so- lenient on the restrictions, it gives a lot more artists the chance to contribute (pun!)

For example, an industry veteran may have the skills necessary to build an 'optimal' model, but their item may not have any true game play value. Right there, submissions would be limited to those who can model well and not necessarily those that can conceptualize a balanced, useful item. On the other hand, there are those who may have superb item ideas, but may not be trained/practiced well enough to get their model up to the same 'quality' as a veteran.

And like vcool said, Source is a bitch when it comes to implementing a custom weapon and getting it to function properly. I'm sure that an .OBJ version of the weapon, with textures and with a short description of how it works will be much easier for the team to tinker with and get into the Engine, rather than having to decompile and fuss over an item that is poorly implemented.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If I get a decent idea I may do this, my portfolio needs more stuff.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koden wrote: »

And like vcool said, Source is a bitch when it comes to implementing a custom weapon and getting it to function properly.

Hehe, I'm pretty sure Swizzle said that but either way it's true. I've compiled plenty of static and dynamic models but never managed to get a weapon in it.

I've tried only once though, but I did everything.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys,

I spoke with Robin about this and wanted to clarify: You do not have to submit Valve proprietary files (VMT, model files). You can, if you'd like, just submit your .tga and model export and let them know what you were thinking.

They'll clarify this some time this week.

So there you have it - get crackin'!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    Hehe, I'm pretty sure Swizzle said that but either way it's true. I've compiled plenty of static and dynamic models but never managed to get a weapon in it.

I've tried only once though, but I did everything.

I managed to get a replacement model for the Axtinguisher working in-game once, but then I broke it somehow on a recompile that was supposed to fix some minor issues. Oh, irony, thy name is Source and you are a mean bitch.

Speaking of which, I just submitted that same model. Here are some pictures, I'm sure some of you have seen this before:

http://imgur.com/FyjKN.jpg
    http://imgur.com/J8T5W.jpg
    http://imgur.com/qrUHI.jpg
    http://imgur.com/B5RsC.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    good luck swizzle, I really hope they let you switch between custom variations of the same weapons.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    So this is not for a limited time? This is beyond awesome. I've been wanting to make some TF2 props for a while now and this is just the right kind of motivation to do so.

Also, I could see Valve hiring someone who does a bunch of models that they really like. :poly142:

If you are lacking ideas, do like Swizzle and make a weapon redesign; which in itself is a good idea.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha sweet, after my exams I might make a hat! Or I should spend that time on our L4D2 campaign, hmmm.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I managed to get a replacement model for the Axtinguisher working in-game once, but then I broke it somehow on a recompile that was supposed to fix some minor issues. Oh, irony, thy name is Source and you are a mean bitch.

Speaking of which, I just submitted that same model. Here are some pictures, I'm sure some of you have seen this before:

http://imgur.com/FyjKN.jpg
    http://imgur.com/J8T5W.jpg
    http://imgur.com/qrUHI.jpg
    http://imgur.com/B5RsC.jpg

Yup I've seen it on Interlopers, in fact I think you promised us petty humans a tutorial on getting them damn weapons in the game. :poly124:

I probably could make a hat. Less hassle although I'm sure you need to figure out the attachments and shit.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    yes... yes he did. well I have been decompiling models to make it a bit easier on myself. also setting up shaders. only have the Engineer completely done with a couple hats.

engi.png
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Looks good Willy, though I'd chunky-up the thickness of the brim to match the overall TF2 style.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This is kewl. I'm in. Hmm. What should i maaaake.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way cool. Just sad that they cant just add every cool weapon they get.
    Gameplay balance and all that.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This is a grand idea.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    This is kewl. I'm in. Hmm. What should i maaaake.

easy as pie, stormtrooper helmet and darth vader helmet in tf2 style
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't sound like a very good idea to bring in an outside IP into another ones product (That they're selling). :)
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds really cool xD...I have no ideas for it though
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OH interesting
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cool! Im thinking about doing something for it.
    Is there some page where we can see all the default hats that are in the game?

Can it also be masks as a hat??
  • tommywomble
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx tommy, i guess it can be also masks then because of that halloween mask
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    holy crap... this made my week.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    can we make CHARACTER INSTEAD!!?!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who knows.... if someone with a perfect style.... matching the exact same proportions...
    would make female versions......insane things could happen:D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    seriously i wouldn't want to see a girl with heavy proportions... ew!
    and no titty bones is also a no go
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh true that ... titty bones :D
    But a heavy girl would be the easiest maybe. Olga!
    Just the heavy with a dress and wig ^^
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    far off
    the heavy proportions are definitely something differen

i guess if you want to exchange models 1:1 you'd need to really do it with the same proportions to fit the rig, of course you have a little space but if you change the arm thickness for example it might look strange compared to the rest of the body, as the joints would stay on the exact positions

but maybe soruce is more flexible with that
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    yeh true that ... titty bones :D
    But a heavy girl would be the easiest maybe. Olga!
    Just the heavy with a dress and wig ^^

nope, Anja!
    maybe i sould post some photos of my neighour, she really has (had, she lost weight) heavvy proportions
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well neox. I was just trying to show you that it isn't all bad. I wonder if it's possible to get good results for the female versions at all if you try to accomodate the current rigs. (I assume all classes uses different ones)

Anyway. I got some ideas for models to make now. A collection of hats coming up...
    Anyone know how to get ahold of the character files? Prefferebly OBJ?
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 i have the game but gave up on the engine and
    import export really quick.
    Any model would do just to fit some hats on.
    Probably copyright infrigement so share the models?
    Anywhoo if theres any nifty pirateish person here id apprechiate it :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back in the day (HL1/TFC) it was possible to do a custom rig and a custom set of animations as long as the animations where named correctly and all there.

Also there are ways to import rigs, scale and reposition the bones, and reapply the animation to the newly modified rig so you're not stuck having to reanimate the entire set, just a little clean up possibly.

After recompiling a few of the models I'm sure the same can be done. BUT the only problem is that the content is local as they haven't set up a system to download player models.

With custom player models its too easy for people to cheat, but I like their check in system and it could work. But checking in a character is a lot more complicated and technical not to mention getting people to build them right...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    De-compiling the models:
    - Use CGFscape to extract the mdl files.
    - Then use CannonFodders mdl decompiler to break the .mdl down into .smd (you can use milkshape3D for this also which also imports .smd's and exports to .obj).
    - If you run into decompiling problems you need to open the .mdl file in a hex editor (hex not text editor) and change IDST0 to IDSTO, or some such nonsense.
    - CannonFodder also has a 3dsmax .smd importer and there are other ones out there that are more up to date like wunderboy's .smd importer His exporter is also the best I've found.

Textures:
    - Use CGFScape to dig out the .vtf (valve texture format, the actual bitmap image), and then use VTFEdit to convert them from .vtf files to .tga.
    - You can also use VTFEdit to create .vtf and .vmt files.
    - .vmt files are text files that specify the properties of the material, this is metal, use vertex lighting, it has normal and spec maps at these paths, if the player has an ancient card use this shader instead bla bla bla... use their .vmt's as a base, setting these up is a total chore.

The next time I have time, and if you're all still to lazy to do it, I'll rip a few player models out and post them as .obj, might be as early as this weekend.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    De-compiling the models:
    - Use CGFscape to extract the mdl files. ... etc

Am I the only one that thinks that process is absolutely absurd for a pipeline?

Also, thanks vig; I dug that info up moments ago and said to myself "surely there has to be a better way" - guess there isnt'.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks that process is absolutely absurd for a pipeline?

Also, thanks vig; I dug that info up moments ago and said to myself "surely there has to be a better way" - guess there isnt'.

You get used to it, don't worry.

Oh and a tip, if CannonFodder's MDL decompiler for some reason doesn't work, try using an older version instead. I was able to decompile L4D models only using the 0.4 version. 0.5 would crash.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait hold on I just realized that they released the player models with the SDK a few months back.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2711

Cannon Fodders decompiler does work but you have to hex edit the mdl files as I talked about above.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Wait hold on I just realized that they released the player models with the SDK a few months back.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2711

Cannon Fodders decompiler does work but you have to hex edit the mdl files as I talked about above.

Oh I did that all right, yet 0.5 crashed. Then again, it's L4D models I am talking about, which is newer than TF2.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So where are the .vtfs kept? Also, Vig, if they were released with the SDK, where are they? did a search, didn't come up.

Either way I have all this stuff installed, might as well see it through, just need to figure out where the vtfs are.

Thanks again
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    So where are the .vtfs kept? Also, Vig, if they were released with the SDK, where are they? did a search, didn't come up.

Either way I have all this stuff installed, might as well see it through, just need to figure out where the vtfs are.

Thanks again

the VTFs and VMTs are in the team fortress 2 materials GCF, then with the GCFScape go to tf/materials/models. That's where model textures are stored but they can be in subfolders. The subfolder names are fairly self-explanatory, so the player models will be in subfolder player while weapons would be in weapons.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, for some reason i figured the models and textures would be in the sme file, never though of just trying to opena new file and see materials one, lol. thanks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're .smd and .ma for the heavy, not sure if they released other models or not.
    I found them in:
    C: \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\STEAM_NAME\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\player\
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Alright everything is ripped from it, I can convert the textures, but the compiler isn't working, so I'm done with that, going to go have a nap; productive morning :)
  • Koden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    So this is not for a limited time? This is beyond awesome. I've been wanting to make some TF2 props for a while now and this is just the right kind of motivation to do so.

Also, I could see Valve hiring someone who does a bunch of models that they really like. :poly142:

If you are lacking ideas, do like Swizzle and make a weapon redesign; which in itself is a good idea.

This was my first thought

I still don't have a single hat aside from the Cheater's Lament and the Ghastly Gibus, both of which were handed out. Random drops my ass