Home General Discussion

Own or Rent?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TWilson polycounter lvl 18
As I'm looking into buying after renting in Vancouver for 10 years... I'm wondering how much of our industry rents or owns.

I'd love to see a survey across the different disciplines. I'd bet more programmers own than artists. Not necessarily because they might make more money on average, but also because they're more left brained.

Where do you live as well?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There should be a living in your parents basement option.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Everett Wa (20 miles N or Seattle)
    - Owned a condo for 7 years, bought it before getting into the industry.
    - Lead Character Animator for Her Interactive.
    - Wife works a few hours on the weekends, daughter isn't bringing any $ into the house yet, something about child labor laws...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Owning is scary in this industry. I have a few friends who got burned by buying a house only to lose their job soon after and have to sell it. Which is not good in the current house market.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Rented so far, but about to buy. We saved a lot, so we could do a 70% loan (meaning we have 30% of the house purchase price to put down in cash). Plus the housing market in Iceland is ripe for buying, lots of people unloading their houses and moving in with friends or relatives, or just downgrading to something cheaper because they can't afford the loan payments.

I'm a firm believer you should only buy when you have the funds to do it easily, don't over stretch yourself, and then only when you have the people to inhabit the place. A single guy buying has always seemed silly to me, or even a couple buying a large house. I remember lots of my coworkers buying a few years ago and mocking me for not wanting to, but something about the get rich quick, flip it and sell it housing scheme just smelled off to me, and now I'm glad I saved and rented.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I own aswell..
    a Nice house and a good piece of land. Outside the City, in the country.,

Freelance Artist, Its trickier for a freelancer to buy stuff, But its worth it in the end.

IMG_0021.jpg

Of course now theres like 6ft of snow Lol

Oh and Im in Canada, an hour or so outside Montreal :)-
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, if the taxes on the profit from a home sale where not so insane (if you don't roll it into a new purchase) we probably would have sold and would be renting. I think my situation was a pretty rare case since I owned before getting in.

Right now might or might not be a good time to buy, depends on the area. I've seen my property value keeps climbing even over the past 2 years, which is a reflection of the area that hasn't slowed down that much and is still expanding.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    There should be a living in your parents basement option.

I actually made a deal with my parents that once I was outta college I could either move out or stay home and pay 'rent' that would go towards stocks / savings for getting my own place down the road. Seeings as I really like the area in which we live, it's a few miles from work, and how damn much even a crappy rental around here is, I opted to stay home. This has the added benefit of having a garage full of tools at my disposal; heck, I was able to install on the property a two post auto lift I bought. As it stands, between existing savings and money I've put into stocks, I have close to a hundred grand put away for my own place, as well as an investment in the house we bought down in SoCal which is currently rented out to my sister and other Art Center students.

I say, if your parents are cool enough to go for it, and you make enough to afford to do so, opt to stay home and put the money away. Renting is just pissing your money away with absolutely zero long term return on investment.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I own. Of course, I'm not actually in the games industry yet. (and certainly not in Vancouver) It's hard to say for that area. I understand that the property taxes in Canada are quite steep. This might mean that it wouldn't be worth while to own. You'll have to research the numbers on that.

In the long run, owning is better, and a safer investment. And if ever there was a time to buy, it would be now. (when the market is still depressed, and property is cheap) A pretty good way to go is to purchase a decently sized house, and then rent out a room or two. This gives you some regular income to put to your mortgage, even if your own job situation becomes uncertain. The challenge there is acquiring the proper tennants.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    games, i own mine.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    we owned our first house in Raleigh, NC. we miss owning, renting at the moment is easier with our constant life changes.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Always rented.

Was never ready to make that purchase commitment (and good thing, too), plus I hate the fact that I'm responsible for every single detail once I buy it. I mean, I'd much rather just call the damn office and have them replace cabinet door.

I know houses are an investment and the goal is to sell for profit after so long, but I just never got into that. Perhaps when I land another fulltime job and pay off my debt it'll be something to consider.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm always perplexed at people who say renting is pouring money down the drain. I got a place to live while renting, that's certainly worth paying money. And you have a freedom. Move when you want, independent from worry about the housing market, freedom from upkeep, easily move up or down in home size practically at a whim. I don't think renting is inherently superior (though in some age ranges and career portions it is) but it's not inherently inferior to buying. I can't count the number of people who are upside down on their house loans right now, or who can't unload a house they want to sell.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Financially, it is true that buying is always preferable to renting. Buying is an investment, while renting is just an expense. If you buy, then even with fluctuations in the housing market you still have the potential to see a return on investment. With renting, there is zero opportunity for return on investment. You will never see that money you spent again.

Of course, situation is important. If you think you are going to be moving soon, or don't want to be tied to a specific location, then renting might be better for your circumstances. Of course, I know that if I want to move, I can always just rent out my place to someone without the same long-term financial outlook that I employ.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    own

first, shop around... the further from civilization you go, you'll get more bang for your buck all around... more property, less disturbance, lower taxes, etc.

avoid developments that have some sort of fee like a home owners association as it's not worth it... not sure if they have something similar in Canada. newer homes aren't always the greatest, and you do want to avoid something that is older that you would have to fix up too much. fixing up a house though is advantageous for a return on your investment by building up your equity.

the only thing i dislike about owning is getting gang banged by the PMI (mortgage insurance) incase i default on the loan. this can be avoided by putting money down, a considerable amount like 20% - 30% or building up your equity to offset that value... without the PMI, my monthly payment would only have been about $100 more than my rent payment before i moved. i'm sure most of this though is totally different here in the states.

it can be tough if you're on a single income... my wife works like 20hrs a week, enough to pay for groceries and such. you need to also analyze your debt/income ratio... you really wanna have none to very little unsecure debt when going to buy... if you've got some credit cards or anything that is sucking up a good chunk of your monthly income, pay it off before really considering buying a house... having some savings built up too helps a lot
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Bought. Owned one before we moved to Edinburgh, rented here for a couple of years, bought this place about 4 years ago.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm always perplexed at people who say renting is pouring money down the drain. I got a place to live while renting, that's certainly worth paying money. And you have a freedom. Move when you want, independent from worry about the housing market, freedom from upkeep, easily move up or down in home size practically at a whim. I don't think renting is inherently superior (though in some age ranges and career portions it is) but it's not inherently inferior to buying. I can't count the number of people who are upside down on their house loans right now, or who can't unload a house they want to sell.
    All very true and awesome reasons to rent especially right now like you pointed out.

However (and don't take offense to this just raising a counter point from personal experience). When I was paying rent it went up on average of 1-2% every time I signed a lease. 1-2% sometimes 10-15%, always just enough to make paying a little less of a hassle than moving. Moving to a new place just gave them an excuse to jack up the rent higher than what the previous guy was paying.

Buying at a fixed rate for 30 years CAN afford you stability in monthly housing costs.

Also if you make a wise investment the value of your home goes up, affording you equity which you can use in a few different ways, one of which could help you clear off debt, purchase a home in a nicer area, or just act as a big safety net if you ever need it.

Right now because the housing market is so upside down lenders are doing everything they can to not swoop in and snatch houses from homeowners who are behind on their payments. They are working with people in ways never seen before, because its cheaper than having to evict and resell the home.

Now clearly there are smart things to do for different people but buying a house CAN be a plus, even in these crappy times.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    We own. It was a great time in the market to buy and we have been saving over a 5 year period. As long as you can afford it theres always an advantage to building equity vs. forking over all your cash to your landlord who makes profit on your rent.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I rent, I'd rather own a house but this isn't the most stable of industries. I guess it's the sense of not being in control and I don't enjoy the fact that the maintenance guys have access to my apartment when I'm not home.

I'll be glad to get out of Fairfax, the rents here are what most people pay for mortgages. Last place was going to jack my rent to $1875 so I had to move.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Bought a house in July, got laid off in January. I've been doing freelance from home ever since, mostly because I don't want to go through the hassle of selling my house and moving out of state to work at another studio. If I did it again, I'd probably still rent and work for a studio.
  • electric_geisha
    If you can afford it... buy a propriety rent that out let someone else pay it off and you keep renting why? Because if you remove the emotional tie from what is meant to be an investment you will be way ahead in the future.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    First you should decide if you are going to stay where you are going to own for a looooong time. I had a condo in Oceanside, but moved to Chicago for Midway. Like Justin said "This isn't the most stable of industries". Even if you could find someone to rent if you had to move, dealing with renters is a bitch.

I'm done moving. I did 4 cities and two countries in 8 months. My wife and kids don't need to deal with this bullshit.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    We're looking to start saving for a deposit when we get back Stateside later this year. Renting does offer you some freedom and it is nice to not have to worry about maintenance, but that swings both ways - it's like pulling teeth getting our landlord to do anything, and when he does finally agree to it, he sends in random handymen as opposed to qualified workmen.

At least we haven't had a rent increase in the four years we've been in this apartment.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Working in the graphic design field right now and we literally just bought our house 2 months ago. It's been pretty fun so far. We only bought b/c we were paying more renting out the house where we were and found a great deal on the house we're in now. Also, there's the $8,000 buyer incentive. We just got our check in the mail a few days ago. We're going to use that to pay off credit card debt. Once we have all that money freed up, we're going to save to do some minor renovations (upgrade the kitchen, bathrooms and add hardwood floors.)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Own!

I rented for a while, but then reailzed i could have a mortgage for a house that is mine (at least in essence, and will be mine) for less than what rent was costing. I think thats what people mean by "throwing money away" ben.

It is a matter of preference, what you mentioned about being free to do what you want, upscale/downscale etc are very awesome qualities to have in a living environment. However you do not have control over someone deciding they want to charge you an extra 200 a month (what was happening to me) for a shit-tacular place. Granted, you could just then get another place, but you could also be hit by contract cancelling fees (paying 6mo rent or some hideous charge), have to deal with shared living spaces with other families/people, etc.

Owning a house has been great. I love mowing the lawn though, and wanted to have a more personal space. Plus, i can pee off my deck and not worry about hitting the neighbors, have a gas grill, garage, power tools, lawn mower, fire pit, torcher chamber.

I am not thinking of moving away from NC, but if i did, and or bought a new house in the area.. i could just rent out my house and have more property to my name, that sometime in the future when my house is 100x more expensive i can make money! (pipedream) :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ugh renters. Have a company handle that for you so you don't have to deal with the bullshit. Especially when the renters burn down the property in a misguided attempt to break their lease early without paying any fees... that was a fun 4am wakeup call.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    if I bought a house in LA I could afford I would be living somewhere scary...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Rent rooms in group houses. Someday if Im lucky, I can rent a nice condo with a SO..
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Own
    Then, when I'm traveling, I rent it out to gain extra income.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Own
    Then, when I'm traveling, I rent it out to gain extra income.

Teach me.

Thinking I might buy a condo with the intention to rent it out and rent something different for myself. Then when the time is right, sell and buy a home for myself. I need something I can't afford yet.

In Vancouver I find I can rent much nicer than I can own. I save the difference between rent and mortgage payment so I don't feel too bad about it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never rent out a place you intend to live in later. Good tenants are a bitch to find. Every time I leave a rented place, they practically cry to see me go, because I paid on time, the house was in the same condition as when I moved in, and well that's basically it, but apparently that's a super rare quality to find.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been living 6~ years in different countries and the 2 families at our house (back home) were just awesome. I have only heard once that someone was dissapointed comming back to their house, so yes be careful to whom you rent it out but yeah whatever from my experiences its pretty safe. And I have known quite a bunch of families doing the same thing.

They are just finishing a subway for public transportation behind my apartment, and there might be plans of making the street I live on walk only. (there is a perfectly good street on the other side for traffic.) Both things have a potential for raising what my place is worth and that would be fun but if for some reason it doesnt happen, it doesnt really matter for me.

From what i know a good real estate (thats what you call it?) does usually never lose value over time, unless you treat it badly, a bomb goes off or something similar.

I dont think I care if I would rent or own a place, its just that in this instance it was the best option for me.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Never rent out a place you intend to live in later.
    Agree 100%. I've had to help my friend repair his condo and house quite a few times back in SD. People would wreck stuff, or not tell you that there is a leak somewhere and 1~2 years down the line he had to spend $12,000+ to repair it to standard... most of it was pool damage when they skated in it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson wrote: »
    Teach me.
    Like Justin posted, get a property management company to take care of it, they normally handle finding renters, checking them out, answering the late night calls to fix the fridge, toilet, hole in the wall. Most will also do upkeep when the place isn't being rented. You pay of course, but its well worth it in most cases. Being a landlord is hell they gladly take on the hellish part and cut you a check for the rest.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Own... or should I say Bank Pwned.

I bought in a good neighbourhood which has actually increased in value during the GFC so if the worst ever happened hopefully I'd at least break even.

In general Australia's been far less effected by the GFC than many other countries so house prices have remained pretty stable and we have a shortage of places for people to live so demand is still high.

Half of us are buying US houses for peanuts... soz guys. :(
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what i know a good real estate (thats what you call it?) does usually never lose value over time, unless you treat it badly, a bomb goes off or something similar.

or the economy/housing market decides to go to shit. my property value went down about $4k due to the recent/current cluster... some people lost a lot more, like a A LOT... nice houses in good neighborhoods, in the 10s of thousands lost on the value...
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Firebert wrote: »
    or the economy/housing market decides to go to shit. my property value went down about $4k due to the recent/current cluster... some people lost a lot more, like a A LOT... nice houses in good neighborhoods, in the 10s of thousands lost on the value...

It's only a loss if you sell. If you can ride it out then don't sell.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Own. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don't. The extra space over an apartment is nice. But it feels like a ball and chain sometimes too.

Bought in 2002 but I'm not even sure if I'll break even if I were to sell. Lots of foreclosures in my area bringing down the value. If it drops too low we may just walk away from the mortgage. I don't really care about the place anymore because I'm willing to relocate if I can land a gig somewhere else. I'd probably attempt to rent it out first before walking away. I have family nearby that can help keep an eye on things.

EDIT: Whatever you do...don't listen to people who say put more than your monthly minimum into the house...that is unless you are positive you want to live there for a really long time. It's a money sink and I'm glad I never put in more than the minimum. I actually have a healthy savings because of it.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    correct... still hurts to open that appraisal envelope though
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh of course but now it has already happened and I think an economy crisis wont happen again in some time. so right now, buy when the price is low and sell when its high. If your value is down now and if you have the possibility to not sell then DONT :) prices goes up and down but if you look at a long term graph its going more up than down. always.
    I must say I dont know much about the US economy but surely its going back to normal. it might take some time but its probably getting there. Im just an artist saying how I believe stuff is after my own life experiences, not an economist. I always thought people might want to buy something because they want to be able to renovate and chose how stuff should be and be able to get that effort back in money when selling. When you rent in sweden you dont usually have the same options.

I heard of a guy renovating his flat he is renting by himself (with permission) and then the landlord said he had to charge him more for the raised quality of living. he payed for renovating itself also so that would just make you want to push someone over a cliff. :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    My reply is , it heavily depends on how financially stable you are.
    id like to add that you can negociate rent as well , something that is sometimes impossible when buying , you wont get penalities if you miss a payment etc since the landlord can/or not understand.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Own. Bought a house a month or so ago.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    My reply is , it heavily depends on how financially stable you are.
    id like to add that you can negotiate rent as well , something that is sometimes impossible when buying , you wont get penalties if you miss a payment etc since the landlord can/or not understand.
    Are you talking about renting from some one privately? Because where I live apartments are managed by big corporations that don't budge on the rent, it goes one way, up.

In my experience the price of rent was take it or leave. The price of a house is up for debate. You put an offer on a house, but you sign a lease, heh.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah , i think that tends to be like that in the USA , what i described is very common in Portugal and Spain , i dont know about the rest of europe since i never lived outside those countries :P
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    As a few have said already, you can get a property manager.
    We've gone with century 21 in the past. They'll do inspections, collect payments, deal with any problems the tenants might have. All for a small cut of the monthly revenue.

Also, you'll be able to specify what type of tenants you'd be happy with having.

*I can get you more details on the contract, if your still interested.
    msn me when I'm online
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I wouldn't intend to live in the place if it were for rental. If I could buy a place I wanted to live in I would. It costs half a million for a box in Vancouver lately. However I rent a place worth 700k with my girlfriend. Which is doable because the rent is much cheaper than a mortgage. Unless you have 25% to put down if you even wanted to put all your eggs in one basket like that. Unfortunately our pay in Vancouver doesn't match the housing market. So I might make something similar to someone living in Wisconsin but with the housing prices of San Fran (actually more now). //brain dump

I'd like to finally get into real estate though.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Own a condo downtown Chicago that I rent out, and a house in the burbs where I live.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    We live in Dallas Texas as of right now, and we could probably buy a house if we really wanted to the market here is really low, since there's so much room to build, but being that me and the boyfren are both in the games industry we are too afraid of getting stuck with a house to sell, we don't want to pass up any good opportunities in other cities, plus buying a house is one thing but selling is a whole other story. We would love to not have an apartment but we just play it safe by renting, maybe someday we might take the plunge.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Own. Bought our house in Seattle in 2000 for just under $250k, watched neighbors with similar houses sell at the peak of the boom for around $600,000. Our house is actually the nicest of the bunch seeing as how we added a bathroom, re-did the kitchen, etc. Then the real estate market went bust, and we just got appraised at $500k. Still, a quarter mil in equity isn't bad.

Renting allows for a lot of freedom if you might be moving a bunch. But it's also just throwing away money. If you're thinking about staying somewhere several years, I'd highly recommend buying. Here in the US, it also gives you a big fat tax deduction as well. Plus, you can knock down walls and paint it crazy colors if you own it. ;)
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Own a few, but I'm not in the industry (yet...there's always hope). They've all been HUD repos that I bought for almost nothing, and I live in the southern US, where housing prices are rock bottom compared to the rest of the US and the world (paid ~$60k US for the one I'm in now). The upside is they're cheap to get in and once you fix them up the appraisal goes through the roof percentage-wise. The downside is you have to fix them up, which costs time and money. You can usually get some kind of loan based on the difference in equity or whatever to put into the place, and I'm a carpenter by trade, so the labor isn't an issue. That's probably more work than someone with a full-time industry job wants to deal with though.

As a few people have said, it's a matter of equity. If you're paying the same for a mortgage as you would in rent, at the end of the day (or 30 years, whichever comes first) your dollar in the mortgage is usually worth more than the dollar you spent in rent. That being said, in an unstable economy and working in an unstable industry, renting certainly has it's benefits. I rented for 14 years, 8 in the same house. Between the two, I'd personally never go back. Besides the whole equity/money thing, there's something appealing to me about being about to do whatever I damn well please to the space. Everything from paint colors and running coax to removing a whole wall or building a deck or garage is my call.

My advice to someone looking to buy for the first time is to take a hard and realistic view about what you want and need out of a house, and what you're will to put into it. Then, take a long hard look at what you can afford. Be ready to change one or the other to fit. So many people buy way more than they need because of some 'keeping up with the Jones' mentality.
    moose wrote:
    Plus, i can pee off my deck and not worry about hitting the neighbors
    This.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Rent, and will continue to do so until I have no debt and a fat down payment saved up.