Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Fishing Bait Shop

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
It's come a long way and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am going to continue to post in this thread any additional updates, but here is a current view of the piece as it stands now:

Old_Swamp_Bait_Shop_Night_Shot_by_proggeh.jpg

Old_Swamp_Bait_Shop_by_proggeh.jpg

=========================
OLD POST:
Most of my stuff is grungy and has that U3 look to it, so I figured I would start something new. I plan on creating an old cartoonish bait shop with a pier, fishing nets, etc. For this one I am planning on hand painting almost all of the textures to give it that toonish look.

This is where I will post the WIP on this :)

1 Day work so far.

baitshop_wip1.jpg

Replies

• Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, that just made me feel happy. I love the design. Reminds me of Psychonauts a bit.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    A little generic, but nice style. I especially like the curvy bit in the front, maybe you can get more of that action going on in the rest of it.

You may want to try some sillhouette studies just to get more ideas out there, rather than pushing 3d without any idea of where you're going, just to get some crazy ideas out there. Pick a couple that are doable and look neat.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    A little generic, but nice style. I especially like the curvy bit in the front, maybe you can get more of that action going on in the rest of it.

You may want to try some sillhouette studies just to get more ideas out there, rather than pushing 3d without any idea of where you're going, just to get some crazy ideas out there. Pick a couple that are doable and look neat.

Yeah, it's gonna be a bit generic right now since I'm basically just blocking in shapes. Did you mention something about a tree or did I completely hallucinate that.... it is late -.- If you did I may look into that... an old swamp cypress tree or something growing into it could look cool.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to texture it?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Gallows wrote: »
    Are you going to texture it?

yeah this is just 1 day of work. I plan on doing a ton more. Maybe I will do a paintover tomorrow morning to get a better idea... and see what you guys think.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a really rough paint over just playing with the idea of maybe incorporating an old swamp cypress tree or something.

baitshop_wip1_paintover-1.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    This is yummy. Love that concept block-in!
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liking the paint over, would be awesome if u added tree's/tree stumps n what not coming out of the water, maybe a small boat, like a wooden dingy cypress-swamp1.jpg

kaikoura-coast-wooden-dinghy_1604.jpg

cant wait to see where this goes
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, this looks like it'll be good when finished.
    If you've got Left 4 Dead 2, take a look at the Swamp Fever levels, they look like a similar setting to what you're doing here.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    MoP wrote: »
    Nice, this looks like it'll be good when finished.
    If you've got Left 4 Dead 2, take a look at the Swamp Fever levels, they look like a similar setting to what you're doing here.

Yep I do. I thought about that this morning when I woke up! Thanks :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't get much done today because of football, and when I did I mostly UV'ed some stuff so I don't have to deal with it later! Finished the dock and some more details on the house... managed to block in a rough tree for now. I'm not sure how to handle it since it's going to be more cartoony... oh how my wacom tablet keeps pushing to zbrush the hell out of it!

baitshop_wip2.jpg
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks sweet, you guna add some destruction to the side of the building when the tree goes inside it?

i also feel you should angle the planks on the dock jsut to add a bit more variation and character

(Y)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I like this a lot.
    I don't know how many people have this happen to them, but in my dreams I have a place that I'll go to now and then, (it happens at least once a year) this looks exactly like the place in my dreams :) Only difference being I have a lot of crocodiles roaming around and it's in the middle of a condo strip (don't ask, I don't know)

Whatever the case, great work so far, really looking forward to this one.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool, I really like it, nice work so far =)

There was a TF2maps.net swap competition, some of the final entries where pretty good.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking great.
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool :D

I assume you're going to add some cracks / a hole where the tree intersects with the house? lol
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks everyone. Yes, this is just 2 days of messing around right now, so still a WIP. The side of the house will be busted up, I'm just trying to decide how right now. I plan on adding a small boat and a great deal more props as well (i.e. buoys, nets, ropes, laterns). Thanks for the great response so far!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    love it :)

my only crit would be the lack of piloti under the house and docks. I know it's designed to be cartoonish but those 5 wood columns under the house would crack under the pressure ^^

Piloti house :
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Pfahlbauten_Unteruhldingen_2005_05.jpg

Wooden old dock :
    http://www.keteu.org/images/pohnpei/blackcoral_dock.jpg

+1 Murder, some variation on the dock would be cool. Destroy some plates, cut end parts, make them broken, put a dangling plate etc.
    Hope it helps ;)

Looking forward for your next up :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I like it too. But a few things seem a bit off to me.

1-the smokestack comes out right under a window, put it up top on the other side for more silohette.
    2-why does the tree look like half of it is IN the bait shop?Would be fine maybe if it was a treehouse.
    3-I think all the polys in the door are wasted, really the only ones that show shape are the boards outside, the rest could be texture. Same for polys of walls, just make them simple and slap the window on top of them.
    4-I agree the planks of the deck should be all wonky too as that's the style you set already, even bend the deck so it's not flat to horizon.
    5-you need barrells :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I like it too. But a few things seem a bit off to me.

1-the smokestack comes out right under a window, put it up top on the other side for more silohette.
    2-why does the tree look like half of it is IN the bait shop?Would be fine maybe if it was a treehouse.
    3-I think all the polys in the door are wasted, really the only ones that show shape are the boards outside, the rest could be texture. Same for polys of walls, just make them simple and slap the window on top of them.
    4-I agree the planks of the deck should be all wonky too as that's the style you set already, even bend the deck so it's not flat to horizon.
    5-you need barrells :)

Ill move the smokestack thanks for the suggestion. I roughed the boards up already today, I'll post later. I'll look at the door as well to optimize. The tree is hitting the house because it is busted through the wall. I just now cut that wall up I'll post later. And yeah, tires,barrels, a boat, laterns, ropes will be added soon.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Took into account some of the suggestions. I managed to get a good bit modeled today, but as usual I UV'ed as well so that slowed me down :\ The little cypress chutes are just temporary for now... I haven't even touched them for optimization yet, just wanted a general idea of how it was looking.

baitshop_wip3.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great progress and very nice design! You have a lot of open space on the left side, might call for some other interesting props, perhaps floating barrels? Great work!
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really sweet, love the stumps and the broken wall :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Love the tree overtaking the house, cool idea. I think you could push it just a tad more, maybe lift the back of the house up a bit, tilt the front of the house down and break some of the supporting columns under the house, as the house has literally been lifted up by the tree in the back, could add a lot of character. Oh, and the deck looks a little too straight, could use a little wobble in it, maybe have it sag in the middle to show its old age.

Keep it up! this doesn't need much more to make it a winner. Some vines flying every which way in the sky could make some epic and appropriate god rays too. Combine that with some cool patchy lighting on the swamp. Just some ideas!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    lol crazyfingers. My head almost exploded from all of those ideas ... fueling the fire is going to make me never be able to finish !

On a side note... I am thinking of using a stand idea instead of a background/set extension. Maybe all of this on top of a platform that is swampy,watery stuff on top with some mud and root on the bottom of the pedestal geometry. So this becomes more of a showpiece asset instead of a huge environment undertaking. Not sure yet though.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome progress on a very cool scene.

It might be a bit too detailed for it but your scene made me think of the fishing mini game in Torchlight, ever thought of integrating this into an existing game?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Awesome progress on a very cool scene.

It might be a bit too detailed for it but your scene made me think of the fishing mini game in Torchlight, ever thought of integrating this into an existing game?

A friend of mine started playing that game...hehe. I never even knew what it was. The scene is being created with game restrictions in mind, and I hope it helps fill out my portfolio for a job. I never really thought about incorporating into an existing game, only a game engine.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    This piece looks great, I can't wait to see more progress on it. When someone mentioned barrels I thought of the metal barrels, didn't know if you thought of the same but I'd toy around with the old wooden barrels with the metal ties around them. Toss a few of those floating in the water or sitting on the dock. At any rate this piece is looking great, keep it up sir! :D
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Added a latern, a metal drum, wooden barrel and a sign out front. I may just start texturing tomorrow :P All this modeling/UV'ing and job hunting / website stuff is wearing me out!

baitshop_wip4.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    this looks like all kinds of fun. great work mang!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    very cool stuff man !
    I can't wait to see it textured and lit up !
    btw what did you have planned for the background ?
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just love this scene!! great work man.. dont forget to put some fishing nets hagning from the railing or maybe the boat...=)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Mistry10 wrote: »
    very cool stuff man !
    I can't wait to see it textured and lit up !
    btw what did you have planned for the background ?

Im not sure what I'm going to do about the background. I may just put it on a turn-table type thing instead of being a full scale environment.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice shapes and interesting idea. Go for the environment if you can find the drive and not the turntable, it'll really make it stand out more I think.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I absolutely love it. How are you gonna make the textures? make them cartoony like in Team Fortress 2.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    I absolutely love it. How are you gonna make the textures? make them cartoony like in Team Fortress 2.

Yeah. That's what I am shooting for. Something along that style.

--Unfortunately this project is gonna be on hold for a few days while I deal with some interviews and art test stuff. Wish me luck :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    looking fantastic/inspirating go go go
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Started to texture a few objects. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of time setting this up so this is just a Diffuse texture.

baitshop_wip5.jpg
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, considering those barrlss are guan be in the water, i would say add more green, like Moss, and algae etc :)

cant wait to see more
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So fucking cool... lots of character.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    I'm really liking this scene so far, awesome style, very cool overall!

Will definitely continue to follow your progress :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Finished a few more smaller objects, but most notably the sign out front of the shop. I'll probably start on the roof or pier next...

baitshop_wip6.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd expect the sign to be hanging more at an angle.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd expect the sign to be hanging more at an angle.

Which way?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sign looked better before, seemed as if the bottom most pin of the gyve was stuck to its counterpart which forcefully held it that way, preventing it from swinging a lot.

Sweet textures mate, loving it.

'inspired :D
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i love the chains. they remind me of WoW.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I think it was more interesting the first way you had it, but the second way looks more proper IMO.

Also, if you're keeping the second version of it don't forget to change how the left chains are falling.

I'm a fan of this thread btw, your style is awesome. Nice work sir, keep it up! :D
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I never changed the sign. That was ZacD, He used photoshop to show me what he thought it should look like lol.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving the progress. How is it working with the Marmoset engine?