Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Hand Painted Texturing

Hello fellow polycounters! This is my frst real thread. I'm Dev, an aspiring texture artist. I've recently started working on some hand painted textures inspired by those found in World of Warcraft and Torchlight. I'll be posting my progress here and would really appreciate your crits and comments. :)

First up, a collection of brick textures I've created over the past few weeks. I ran into a few bumps trying to keep things simple. Who knew that'd be so hard?

1.jpg

Next, one of my more recent works. - WIP
2.jpg

Keep an eye out for future updates! :)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like the last 2 stones, maybe too much color variation in the last one though. The wood likes too much like stone.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the last 2 stones, maybe too much color variation in the last one though. The wood likes too much like stone.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Definitely not going for petrified wood lol. :D Much appreciated!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I like the most recent one and the third of the stone textures :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like em, nice work, especially on the last two stone textures.

The first two might have too much painted in lighting. The highlights really stand out and might cause problems for lighting levels?
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the most recent one and the third of the stone textures :)
    Thanks!
    I like em, nice work, especially on the last two stone textures.

The first two might have too much painted in lighting. The highlights really stand out and might cause problems for lighting levels?

Thanks, much appreciated! The 2nd to last stone texture was actually my first attempt all together. I thought it was too detailed and tried to step back to something more simple (The first two for example).

I agree about the highlights. I made the mistake (wont happen again) of not working from reference and really fudged a lot there. I really need to start importing these into a game engine to see if there will be lighting issues. That's definitely something I want to improve on. Thanks again! :D
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks sick, the only thing I can say is to really define the hard edges.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sick, the only thing I can say is to really define the hard edges.
    Much appreciated! /noted :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ya i'be been toying with hand painted textures lately on my project, i can say i feel much more sense of acomplishemnt when i just take my stylus and produce something cool
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think that latest wood looks a bit like sandstone instead. try getting a few more splintery bits in there, or some knots in the wood, or maybe some nails to help sell the wooden idea :)
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i'be been toying with hand painted textures lately on my project, i can say i feel much more sense of acomplishemnt when i just take my stylus and produce something cool
    I agree. :D
    i think that latest wood looks a bit like sandstone instead. try getting a few more splintery bits in there, or some knots in the wood, or maybe some nails to help sell the wooden idea :)
    Thanks, those are great suggestions! Will do.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, quick update here. I decided to start from scratch on the wood texture with your feedback (Thanks!) in mind. Here's the new WIP so far, big emphasis on the WIP. C&C welcome as always. Thanks again for all your feedback! :D

3.png
  • SamBaylus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feel, I like the stone textures a lot.

The new wood is a great improvement. Note that I'm not so much qualified to give respectable feedback, but when I was looking at the new wood texture I couldn't help but think: When the boards end and another begins, you can see the inside edges on both of the planks. If you were looking DOWN on a floor that looked like this, it would mean that the edges of the boards were shaved inwards for both ends to be showing like that. It would make more sense to me if they were flush with each other, or more flush than they are here.

...I hope that makes sense? Definitely looking more like wood now, though!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    bit better, needs more grain, some some knots in the wood maybe, or more organic curves.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    well right now it looks like orange stone slabs.
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm, I can't really think if any scenario where you'd saw the wooden planks like that for a flat panel.

I mean, if it was for a floor you'd have gaps between every wooden tile which would be uncomfortable to walk on. But maybe that's not the way it's intended to be used.

I also like the look of the last ones in your first picture, very modern and tidy looking.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Wood has alot of color in it. You seem to have a highlight, and shadow, and the base color. Still very stonish looking.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You see, this is what I love about the people at Polycount. People who are real and tell you straight up. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. With your feedback and dedication on my end, I WILL get better :)

I'm glad I posted the texture at the stage it is now. My main concern is that I'm over complicating things and getting caught up in the details. I have no problem taking a step back for things to improve. Hell, I'll start from scratch again if need be. To be honest, I'd be thrilled to reach the same quality as the wood found in Rhinokey's image below.

tnt_barrel.jpg

Any pointers? I'll keep at it! I'm seriously writing these comments down. :)

P/s - Rhinokey, lemme know if I should remove that pic. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    his wood as 2 base colors, 1 for the grain and the normal color, and the cracks, and side notches.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    his wood as 2 base colors, 1 for the grain and the normal color, and the cracks, and side notches.
    Great observation. I'll try breaking down my pallet in a similar fashion. Thanks ZacD! :D

/cracks open Photoshop
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    definite improvement, but i think you could go a little further and learn from observation a bit more.

woodWeatheredPlanks.jpg
    while there is probably too much color variation here to make a good, small tiling texture, its a cool image to look at to see the age and variation in the surface.

87466548.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=6E22FB6E7F26C881F33AD03F8DC5FA0818E0C2A77AE43A905F5F3A50F459885AE30A760B0D811297
    this one pushes a bit more chunky destruction and splinters, i think it shows a bit more "wood" (huh huh) while staying a consistent color.

also:
    stockphotopro_68159056DNU_10032_004025lw.jpg

some good points of reference there to try to push the wood further.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha no need to move the pic, i'm such a whore i'll take any publicity i can get, in fact out of my shameless sense of self promotion i decided to put together a quick tute on how i pain my textures, its nothing fancy but maybe it will help
    wood_tute.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    uber rhino..!!! tanks a bunch :D
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh i made that at 6 am so disregard any typos.. hell for that fact anytime i type anything its always going to be 6am so theres an excuse for my bad typing.

in step 3 when i say smrear i didnt mean smear with the smudge tool its just a brush, whole project was done with one square brush i notice now that teh second hue sat hardly changed it at all oh well seemed like more this morn,, in fact i think i liked it better without that hue change at the end..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good points brought up by Moose and Mojokey.

I'll add that while the boards fit together nicely vertically the horizontal gaps look a lot like stone bevels, wide at the top but meets at the bottom.

So gaps a bit more like this:
    FloorBoardsNom.gif

Also there isn't a pronounced wood grain in these end cuts which sends a "this is stone" signal to the viewer but if you close the gaps you don't have to worry about that I guess...
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for that tut Rhino (WHORE). Vig I was thinking the same thing and you beat me too it. That looks a lot better without the large gaps in between each plank. Maybe make some of those grain lines a bit darker too.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wood_paintover.jpg here is just afew minutes paint over of your wood textre (i agree with the above bout the planks fitting nicer but i did not change that cause i lazy) the main thing killing this are harsh hilites on cracks and lack of any grain,
    rember cracks in wood unless its a knotch made by a foreign object usualy run along with the grain of the wood, so will be almost straight with the grain.

on this here i laso selected some paterns in the wood, copied to a new layer an hue sat them to get the darker grain patterns, along with some just old fashioned painting its loose an sloppy (insert mom joke) but i think it gets the idea across, also ene pieces need grain and rings
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooo I like that better. Either way the gaps need to more or less match.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: Your absolutely right. I've mainly been working with already painted textures as reference. I think that's one of the many things hurting me. I could see all the lines and such in them but really didn't understand how or why they were there. Thanks!

Rhinokey: Thanks for the awesome tutorial and paint over! The point about the cracks running along the grain really makes sense. The lasso + Hue/Sat trick is pretty nifty as well. Much appreciated! :D

Vig: Thanks for the paint over! It's clear from your example that the gaps between the boards need to go. If you asked me now, I couldn't tell you what I was thinking. I've got to get my mind out of stone painting mode. Thanks a ton!

DarthNater - Will do, thanks! :)

I'm going to sit down this weekend with all the great feedback and see what happens. Thanks again guys! :D

*Edit - Woo I'm a Vertex!*
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    overall, i'd say your textures need a lot more color variation. everything shares the same tones, the same hues. some rocks should be lighter, darker, greener, redder, etc...

and wood is a fantastic medium for putting all sorts of subtle shades in. go crazy with your color picker!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Really good points brought up by Moose and Mojokey.

I'll add that while the boards fit together nicely vertically the horizontal gaps look a lot like stone bevels, wide at the top but meets at the bottom.

So gaps a bit more like this:
    FloorBoardsNom.gif

Also there isn't a pronounced wood grain in these end cuts which sends a "this is stone" signal to the viewer but if you close the gaps you don't have to worry about that I guess...

oh, Vig is right, but Vig, he could use just a bit of the gaps instead of closing it all, a bit of randomness maybe?
  • cowboyorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you might also think about were the boards connect if you are going to tile this. Maybe you should alternate a little more.

current image 25% size
    4194443702_03b186959b_o25copy.jpg

this one i moved the middle right board down.

4194443702_03b186959b_ocopybetter.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: Thanks, you're right. Color and value variation is something I'm really struggling with. I've been reading a lot on the theory side of it but am having trouble putting it to practice. In general, I either go too far or not enough with things. It's going to be a great day when I finally find a middle ground. :)

Bugo: I'd love to somehow work some gaps and randomness in. For now tho, I'm going to try and focus on basic readability and tearing myself away from making things look like stone. Thanks!

Cowboyorange: Good point. I actually noticed that last night. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start from scratch based on the new feedback. Each attempt is great practice and I think it'll be interesting in the end to have a collage showing the progression. I'll definitely address the tiling issue when I get started. Many thanks! :)
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I started fresh with all the feedback in mind and took things a little further before posting. Here's where I'm at so far..

4.jpg

I'm feeling a lot better about this attempt but there's still a lot to be done. Mainly, I'd like to work in some better highlights and maybe some more interesting knots and scratches. That aside, here's what it looks like tiled..

5.jpg

C&C welcome as always. Thanks for all the help so far! :D
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totaly AMAZING amount of improvement.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great improvement, really nice work!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are a guy who listens and thinks and learns you will go far in this grape flavored world

tho your creases may bee too black, bring that back to a dark red brown an you are golden
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum: Thanks!

Vig: Thanks man! :poly136:

Rhinokey: Thank you for the kind words. Very motivating! :D
    I agree about the creases. I kept telling myself that I needed to push the contrast and went too far. Definitely on the top of my fix list. /notes
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing work man! These guys know what they are talking about and it paid off to listen to them because that is a great texture! Keep it up!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great improvement!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    badass! yeah marked improvement :)

HOWEVER

i think you're losing some of the flavor and softness your orginals had. Try pulling the ammount of pure black you're using back, and put a little more bouce & ambient light in there.

The details sing a lot more now, thats for sure, but i think its "lost that lovin feelin" the original had (despite not looking quite as much like wood as it does now!)
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater: Thanks, will do!

chaosquack: Thanks!

moose: Much appreciated man! You've been a great help. I agree 100%. The flavor / soft texture is what I'm really shooting for. However, I keep falling back on my own personal style (many brush strokes) when I run into something I don't understand. It's funny how keeping things simple can be so complex. On the upside, I feel I've learned a lot this round and should be able maintain the flavor / soft look better on the next go. Thanks again! :D

Another quick update. As suggested, I tried to pull some of the black out from between the planks. However, it's hard to tell the difference after I touched up the highlights. See below..

Wood3.gif

What do you guys think? I'm pretty eager to work on the next attempt. Thanks again for all the help! :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't mind the black too much, I think maybe you lightend it up a little too much.
    I like some hard black in there because it really seperates the planks. With only dark brown in there they fuse a little bit.
    Maybe just put 25-35% more black back into it. Or maybe not.

But the highlights look great.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i dont think he lightened it enough,, but you should put more colors in the depth, i think also i think you added to many hilites in my opinion
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm, things are getting tricky. I like the cracks between the planks but not how the blackish color sucks the life out of things. I like the highlights because I think they add a little more depth to the wood. However, I can see how they're starting to be too much. I'll give it another shot and see if I can balance things out. I think after that, I'm going to have to move on to something else. I've been looking at these planks so much that I'm starting to dream about painting them lol. :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well a thing to rember is, black is not the only dark, this is a rreeaally rough paintover illustrating saturated dark, the sq in the top left is a color pick from between the cracks, nearly completely black, the 2 spots are the colors i used to darken around some of the wood (not all of it did i do)
    paintover3.jpg

when selecting your dark colors for shading, try to always move the color picker down and to the right to keep good saturation in the color and it does not always have to be even the same color, sometimes you can shade with a completely diferent color depending on the look you want
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    that looks awesome man, way better!

the only thing I would say is the insides look a bit 'wavey', versus having any structure in the form of the wood/knots:

http://imagedir.org/Textures/wood-planks-texture.jpg
    http://www.depesz.com/wp-content/uploads/Image/wallpapers-2007-01-13/old_wood_planks.jpg
    http://www.eagleeyesigns.com/images/wood2.gif
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/2598356969_8b6466ff49_o.jpg

but maybe it's the type of wood.

great progress!
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey: Thanks for the paint over! I see exactly what you're talking about now. I made the mistake of using colors to close to white between the cracks and the end result came out 'smokey" looking to me. You seriously set a lite bulb off over my head just now. I never really understood that something in the shadows can still be saturated. Now everything looks completely different! :D

bounchfx: Thanks! I agree about the 'wavey' look and plan to focus more on knots and such on my next texture. As it is now, I'm thrilled to have things not looking like stone. I also think the overall look really depends on what type of wood you're going for an how it was cut. For example, the first reference you linked has some nice grain but looks like it was cut at Lowes. I do however like how it has both horizontal and vertical texture to it. If I had to, I'd say I'm going for something around the third image. Either way, I need A LOT more practice. I really appreciate the help man! :D
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love lastest ones. I prefer them with the darker shadows though. Personal opinion though...

Sorry if it seems like I would be high jacking your thread, but i read rhino's tut (thank you very much sir!), i had to make a quick trial to see if i was getting the hang of the overall flow...

handpaintwood.png

It sucks of course, but i think if i actually sat down to work on one it wouldn't turn out so bad...

Brilliant stuff though mate, this thread is a real inspiration for me to keep working on my hand painted works...
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pbcrazy: Thanks! Yup, Rhino's tutorial is great. There's also another nifty one you may find useful in Mazvik's WoW Cataclysm thread. The link is..

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67978&page=2

There's also a cool guy named Nickity from the Torchlight forums who's created a similar tutorial but for ice. That link is..

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2838&start=40

Hope they help!

About your image and this hijacking business...don't worry about it! :) I think you're off to a great start. Actually, that's a lot better than some of my first attempts that I didn't care to post. Whenever you move on to the next serious attempt you spoke of, I'd try and add some more contrast and color to the mix. I know it's easier said than done so if you ever need a hand (I'm still learning) then feel free to ask.

There's also (as you have no doubt seen) a lot of other experienced people here in this community. If there's anything I would suggest, I'd definitely look into creating a post dedicated to your personal progress and get busy. Even if it's just in the form of a sketch book. Anywho! I'm very happy to hear you find this thread inspirational. Thanks! :D

*Status Update* I in all my epicness just realized that there's a world outside of my room and that Christmas is indeed a few days away. I've got to get out there and buy some presents! Oops! Might be a few days before I can post a real update. Keep an eye out tho! :)