Home Technical Talk

F*** you relax tool!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
Please don't tell me Im the only max user that has a problem with the uv relax tool crashing max with the click of a mouse. I understand that its probably because its a potentially complex calculation, but is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening that I don't know about?

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Never had an issue, try reducing the "iterations" to one, bump up ammount to compensate.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    It may be an Ngon or a degenerate triangle with some very messed up topology.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    export the obj, create a new scene and import it and try again?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    export the obj, create a new scene and import it and try again?

did that and it failed, and the topology couldnt be messed up because I tested it on a freaking plain.

But turns out I just need to restart my computer and its working again :poly142:

>_<
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I wouldnt mind having a look at the original .max scene!

I am trying to streamline my max UV workflow these days (always been a max user but I find maya's unified approach to be much cleaner than a stack for this very one scenario) and relax did some strange things to me too.
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Select face mode in the UV edit, then under select, click "inverted faces." If you see any, flip 'em. It happens more often than you think.

I once had a face that was inverted, but at the same time attached to a bunch that weren't. Had to retopologize to get rid of it.

Might also want to show us the object. ;)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Select face mode in the UV edit, then under select, click "inverted faces." If you see any, flip 'em. It happens more often than you think.

I once had a face that was inverted, but at the same time attached to a bunch that weren't. Had to retopologize to get rid of it.

Might also want to show us the object. ;)

I'll try that next time, and the object well was litterally a plane, I was trying to make a simple sign for a lowpoly scene I'm working on, when I went to unwrap it I used relax to get the correct proportions and poof it was gone, closed without even a warning.

I always try and clean up my workflow as much as I can, each project Im trying something new to keep the file clean. I use good modeling practices and I dont f-around with stuff to much. It just seems like this damn tool is so buggy and I hate it, but sure enough all I needed was a restart - so stupid.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there!
    Do you have a screenshot of the topology by any chance? You peaked my interest :P
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using any scripts?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dumb.jpg

ok here you go

again its just a PLANE

this instance was just a quirk I think, its too bad I can recreate it now, because restarting the comp fixed the problem.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh haha I thought you meant some sort of cuts on a plane surface, not just a plain plane lol
    Computers, they never work huh
    Maybe more ram would help? If you had many things running at once....
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Oh haha I thought you meant some sort of cuts on a plane surface, not just a plain plane lol
    Computers, they never work huh
    Maybe more ram would help? If you had many things running at once....

Yeah, I guess working on the computer for the past 4 days straight without turning it off is bound to create some sort of crazyness. But that seems to be the answer to all my problems "more ram."
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had this problem at work in some versions of max, and I found that applying the relax rather than letting it run will fix your problems. Yes, even if you bump up the settings to ridiculously high numbers.
    Makes no sense, I know.

Let me know if that works for you
    edit: Ah, I see, the issue's solved itself? Well, if it happens agian, see if this does the trick :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I had the same thing yesterday. It crashed more than 5 times on me, just POOF, gone.
    What sucks, is that I was capturing the process for a tutorial and that the previous 3-4 hours of unwrapping went fine. It really seems to be random when your Max decides it doesn't want to Relax :s
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity, what version of Max was that for you guys ? So far I found 2009-32bit to be the most stable of all. It would be nice to somehow track that one down.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    pior wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what version of Max was that for you guys ? So far I found 2009-32bit to be the most stable of all.

That's what I'm running, and aside from pushing my luck with massive scenes, I've never had a crash I didn't see coming.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im on 2010 64bit and usually I can see crashes coming, but this is the only time It doesn't even freeze, and like Xoliul said the first hours of unwrapping went just fine and then once I went back to add some things and re-pack it was poof gone. I should remember to not let my computer automaticly do anything, I'll try and remember to manually apply as much as I can from now on.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah maybe that version is to blame. No reason to install before the first service pack got released anyways...
  • BJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BJA
    I'm having a similar problem with the Max 2010 64bit version. Everytime I apply a vertex paint modifier it crashes. Switched over to the 32bit version and everything works fine. I'm having some performance slowdowns when I hide polygons though, but it's better than the permanent crashes I've got with the 64bit version.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i use 3dmax 2009 64 bit, and relax tool sometimes doesnt relax uvs properly. i think it don like me.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Pior. It's funny how your 'most stable max' seems to change every so often.
    I thought you said 2009 was shit, and 8 or 9 was [tonythetiger]greeeaaaat[/tonythetiger]?

All of them have random issues on different pc's sadly. 2009 (32 or 64, doesn't really matter) both worked pretty well for me, but not noticeably better than 2008, for instance. And I had this relax-crashing in all of them, I'm pretty sure.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    never had probs with relax tool. I mean, sometimes it behaves really oddly, but never really crashed max.

the pelt mapping on the other hand...
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    stability and bugs is mostly down to just ghosts in the machine. since i got zbrush 3.5r3 i couldn't get zapplink to work with PS CS3 or PS CS4 64-bit, only PS CS4 32-bit, today i reformatted PC and everything works.

a good reformat usually sorts out alot of problems. if not then its issues with hardware or drivers, or maybe those dam ghosts don't want to stop haunting you
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    one should format the computer on a monthly base, (especially when dealing with infected software)
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    dunno, got 2k9-64 here and the relax tool has never crashed on me. It's utterly destroyed my uvs, but it hasnt crashed.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I dunno whats up with it, lately the tool hasn't even been working at all on some things..I dont get it. Yesterday I had more planes that i was working with and well I scaled them on x by 50% then I went back to relax the UVs since I scaled the geo and it didnt do anything, even though they had been obviously changed. So Ive gone from it crashing to not doing anything at all...>_< maybe planes don't like me...one of the simplest forms of geometry doesn't like me >_<

I would reformat but Im scared :/ Ive never done it before and Im scared I would mess something up and then I wont be able to use my computer.
  • brokenpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brokenpoly polycounter lvl 9
    I`ve had some problems with the relax tool as well, but I think I found a solution to the problem. If that happens, usually I just select all the faces and choose "flatten mapping". Then I convert it into an editable poly and add an unwrap modifier again. After doing this, my "corrupt" meshes have worked just fine with minimal crashing.

I`m on 3dsmax 2009 64bit btw.

Hope it helps!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I assume its because if a broken vertex table. Under tools in 3dsmax there should be somewhere the vertex channel listener.
    Alternatively run this maxscript in the maxscript listener:
    ChannelInfo.dialog();

maybe it can give you some info on what might be wrong because I highly suspect a wrong table for the UV, smoothing or vertex groups.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Have this same prob in max 2010 64 bit. I just make sure I am saving a lot when unwrapping cause I never know when it will happen. :)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    the only time i have problems relaxing is relaxing UVs on object with xform not reset, it throws the maths off somehow and my uvs sometimes spin off into space. still, resetting xform is almost a reflex action so not such a biggie. would this have been a likely culprit in your case?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Historically I've seen crashes using Relax when you try to relax a mesh which has 5-sided polygons in some cases. However that was back in Max 8 and I haven't really used Max extensively enough since then to know what's changed, I'm pretty sure that's been fixed. I haven't run into any issues or crashes relaxing various meshes in Max 2010 yet.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using Max 2010 64 Service Pack 1 for a while now and I haven't had any notable problems.
  • ukjackal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    I've had this problem at work in some versions of max, and I found that applying the relax rather than letting it run will fix your problems. Yes, even if you bump up the settings to ridiculously high numbers.
    Makes no sense, I know.

Let me know if that works for you
    edit: Ah, I see, the issue's solved itself? Well, if it happens agian, see if this does the trick :)

Works a treat, I was starting to lose a clump or 2 of hair :poly121:
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    are you using a shared uvw modifier on multiple objects? because that will make max crash if you relax on those
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    What Ravenslayer said. I always combine my model before I start trying to relax anything. Also, rescale clusters is broken when used on more than one object.