Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears_Rhino_tank_WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
I start this tank awhile back and now decided to finish it off! The basic idea is that the tank is a modified version of the centaur. The Rhino is meant for high impact low range combat... kind of like you every day shot gun but with explosive rounds. Tell me what ya think.

Also I know some of you have seen this tank on one of my previous posts, and that's fine. I am just going to keep posting updates on this thread, going from high res to game res.

Tank1.jpgtank4copy.jpg

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the details are nice, though i think you went a tad overboard on the bolts.
    the overall design though really looks like something that belongs in the Metal Slug
    universe more than Gears.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the details are nice, though i think you went a tad overboard on the bolts.

can never go overboard on bolts!!!

The scoopy front makes it feel a little imbalanced, like its top heavy. Rest of the bits inspired by the centaur are really closely matched! good job :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How far along are your tires? They're depth isn't on the same range as the rest of the model and they fall a little flat, comparably.

Also - can we see your wires?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is gears were talkin about if anything not enough bolts haha, also where are all the little leather laces that hold everything together, also an important part of gears equipment:)

yea get some work in on making a badass tread on those tires and this will be lookin pretty damn good

ps like the scoop gives tons of personality

-Woog
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    TBH you do have too many bolts, and I think you're relying too much on "its gears there's bolts everywhere" well, there's a lot of detail in gears but not just bolts, there should be clamps, fasteners, panels and bolts of different types.

You do have bolts that are too close together on the one side panel, I mean they're almost touching, might as well make them smaller and more like rivets if you want that many.

Your shapes also look puffy, the object looks like it's made out of molded plastic rather than metal. You need sharper edges and some more defined curves with tighter bevels. It would also help if you show'd your model with some lighting and specular, it'll help the shapes read better.

Here's some images from the net that I found that might help

Centaur.jpg
    locust_seederwip1.jpg
    SecurityDoor01.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Jordan hit the nail on the head with the sharper edges, I was looking at the image wondering why it looks like plastic rather than metal. I think thats whats throwing it off for me.

Would look cool with the scoop down too, hopefully thats possible! :)
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll hit up those hard edges today; remove bolts; and see what it looks like with the scoop down... also the render thing. Thanks for the tips!
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll keep working on it

tank2_spec.jpgtank_spec.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    hahaha, i kinda like it missing the tires. Looks kind of like a cracked out go-cart!

but yea, that scoop kind of goofs it up a bit. It resembles the exaggerated underbite of a bulldog and the side-mounted lights immediately become eyes and the whole form starts to look like a caricature just a tad bit. To be fair, the effect is lessened with the tires on it, but it might be worth refining the overall shape a bit to get away from that.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it lives!!!!!!!!!!!!, awesome man, you still keep working on this in your spare time , keep it up zombie (thats what she said)