Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shmup mockup

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
So we released Rocketbirds a short while back, and I figured I'd use the down-time to start mocking up a shmup based on the characters from that game, and specifically, the circumstances in the intro. I haven't really figured how I want to handle the background (ie, whether to go for simple, parallaxing silhouettes, or something more detailed a la Aero Blaster or UN Squadron). So for now, the background and sky are somewhat placeholder.

For the sprites, I still need to go in and rejigger the palettes, since I did up Hardboiled (the chicken) with largely the same palette I used for the penguins (and you can clearly see the difference in color focus between them). Right now I'm also trying to sort out the working files, since they're a bit of a mess of layers (am I the only one that's underwhelmed/frustrated with how Pro Motion handles layers?). I'll likely have separate sprites for arms/weapons, body, jet plume, and the lighting from the muzzle flashes.

Style-wise, I'm more than likely going to stay away from any AA, except possibly some local buffer shading if absolutely necessary.

Not sure where this is gonna go, but once I get a few more assets together, I'll probably start prototyping in Construct. Whether it goes beyond prototype will depend on the bossman.

rbshmup-mockup4.gif

different weapons and orientations (for movement around the screen)
rbshmup-hb.gif

and a quick animation test
rbshmup-hb1.gif

edit:
Did up a rocket-strapped kiwi. I'm thinking swarm-type enemy.

rbshmup-kiwi1.gif

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Love the characters, especially the kiwi! :D

Flat shaded/pastel palette for the BG looks pretty good, anything too complex starts hiding the projectiles and makes it hard to see what's going on.

Can't remember if it was BioHazard battle or Rtype but I remember one old Megadrive game that had super detailed backgrounds that made it really hard to see what the hell was flying your way.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    WOW, I just checked out rocketbirds- Really impressive!

The fan art is looking pretty cool too, It'll be interesting to see where you go with it. The style reminds me of a shootem up game I did for a school project... called it Eff Bomber :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    hehe, explosive kiwi's :P

cool stuff man. Just played the rocketbirds demo and that was fun.
    No idea on the technical side of stuff but a little more contrast or somthing to make the chars stand out a little more might be cool... hope you post updates soon man
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix: Looking for references, I found a shit ton of shmups that had horribly contrasty backgrounds. One in particular was a night scene overlooking a city. The bottom 2/3 of the background was essentially single-pixel noise. I don't even know how that made it past testing, because I could barely see the bullets even from a static screen. o_O

Glad you like the kiwi. Thinking of ways to make it slightly more over the top. :p

Archanex: You should post that shmup. :p Btw, this isn't fan art, per se; I was the background artist on Rocketbirds :p

Nizza: Yeah, I'll definitely be playing with the palettes as I go. After seeing some bad examples of visibility in shmups, I certainly don't want to fall into that trap. :)

Did up a quick AKM for fun. Still using the same palette as before, hence the red instead of orangey wood veneer.

rbshmup-hb-ak.gif

edit:
    looking at it now, it's probably quite undersized. o_O
    edit2:
    fixed AK sizing
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    the intro alone would be worth buying, very well produced...

reminds me of one of my all time favs, flashback.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, haven't had much time to work on this. Started playing around with Construct, and while there's some stuff I like about it, good god is the interface an inconsistent cunt. And the lack of proper scripting means way too much clicking about.

Anyways, finally hacked together a barely-there prototype. I've got Hardboiled moving around, shooting, getting lit up from the muzzle flash, and a parallax-scrolling background.

Short video

edit:
    added a silly amount of shell casings

edit2:
    and sound for the gunfire

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vTxCB4A78[/ame]
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    That is PURE win. Really like it lotekk. Im always happy to see some low poly/flash related art from you :)
    I think the shell casings are abit overdone though :P
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Loving those bullet casings :D , can't wait to see more.