Home Technical Talk

Freezing a character model permanently (Max)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
So I have a question...
I'm working on a 3D model whose purpose is to be painted on in a demo for Photoshop CS4 by 50 students. I was wondering if there's any way to freeze the model so that the mesh is still selectable, but the students can't try to remodel it. I want the model to be like a statue only. Freeze selection won't work because it's undoable and also makes the model no longer selectable.

Is this possible to do?

Software being used: Max 2010, Photoshop CS4, Mudbox 2010.

Thanks so much,
-Zilk

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    make a reference of the object (not instance, not copy but reference). And have the original source object be hidden, frozen and locked in all transformation axis. That should give your students a model they can apply modifiers and materials on without being able to really change the base topology.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    couldn't you just hit "unhide all" and it would reveal the original?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Tell them this is a texturing exercise and you will get no extra marks for changing the mesh. In fact tell them they lose marks for changing the mesh!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Why not save the UV layout of your model out.

Then any model you suspect of modification, try to load your UV original uv layout. If fails, they messed with the Polies. If model goes to hell texture wise, they screwed with the uvs. However, this wont help if they only ever so slightly moved a few edges/polies.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Merge their geo into your source scene and apply their texture to the original model. I'd look around at some scripts to see if there was anything to speed the process, maybe there is something that would load a batch into your scene and do everything for you.

Or, you could just ask them not to be lame.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could do something like export the mesh to an external app like marmoset(or any other simple 3d viewer). Then all they could possibly do is load textures.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merge their geo into your source scene and apply their texture to the original model. I'd look around at some scripts to see if there was anything to speed the process, maybe there is something that would load a batch into your scene and do everything for you.

Or, you could just ask them not to be lame.

For 50 students?? This isn't even my class. :(

Lame, I was hoping there was some secret Max magic somewhere that I didn't know about to make this possible. </3
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    although EQ is shamelessly plugging marmoset (yet again :P), i agree with his suggestion completely. that would be the best solution to your situation, plus, it just makes everything look better :)

edit: wait... like what is the objective here? paint it in cs4 and then what? for displaying without editing the mesh, marmo would work great, but what's the fear? that the students will take the model, tweak it, and call it their own? i don't use the 3d painting feature in cs4, so yeah... i'm assuming that they just need access to the file to import it correct?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, another thought tho, using marmoset could prove to be a bit of a logistical nightmare if needs to be installed on 50 different workstations, with different hardware etc.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have the permission to install onto 50 machines either. IT would probably slit my throat.

The main point is that I'm making a model in pose so that the students can paint directly onto the 3D model using Photoshop CS4's new feature.

Is it a legitimate concern to worry about students tweaking a model?
    I was considering posing the character without using a skeleton which may end up in a disaster but if I get it to work, then at least it'd make the model that much more impossible for them to untangle and call their own. I don't know.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried them out in a while but what about importing a Xref of a read only locked file?

The last time I used Xrefs they where pretty buggy max8, but they've tried updating them several times since then. I think they call them containers now?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    get some open source mesh viewer or something and hard code the mesh into it
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You could put it into a layer than freeze the layer.... better to use and engine though like others have suggested.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i wouldn't worry about the students tweaking the model itself.... if you're REALLY concerned about that sort of thing, then why not get some generic model from some place that most people in the industry are familiar with, that way you can tell them, "this model is from such and such and is ONLY for the purpose of learning and is no means allowed to be used in your portfolio or final assignments" or something like that. this is kind of like going to a sculpture class and breaking off a chunk of clay from a block and saying... here, you can use this to learn, but you can't fuck with it.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So why are you doing this again? I would just merge in their models as I graded them if I was doing that, and make sure they overlap exactly, the mesh, then check the UV quick.

But I think Renders method with reference is the best u will get.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have made my own ugly borked meshed. Pretty much make it so that they don't really have the enthusiasm to steal it. If they do, what do you care? Just a cylinder for torso, cylinder for legs and arms, sphere for head. You'll be able to tell right off the bat if someone stole your gumby model.

I probably wouldn't care and would encourage the students to modify the gumby so that they can practice their 3D skills together with the Ps 3D paint skills.

Speaking of which, Photoshop CS4 can paint in 3D?! Like Polypaint? Someone give a brief rundown? Is it really powerful can you do a whole texture with it? Or is it mainly for guidelines and touchups?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using Photoshop CS4 to paint on the model, then the students don't need to load the model in Max at all. Just export a CS4-compatible mesh format (OBJ is one of the best) and leave it at that.

However, Max 2010 has its own 3d paint now, called Viewport Canvas. The painting tools are not nearly as sophisticated as Photoshop, but it is quick and dirty, enough for blocking beforehand and for painting out seams afterwards.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I think the best texture painting exercise is the good old create, it allows for some creativity and its not as daunting as a whole character. And the best thing, how can they rip off a 6 sided box? xD