Home Technical Talk

help about Roadkill UV tools in 3dsmax 2k9

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
Ok, I fairly know how roadkill works but only in maya. My problem is I can't get it to work in max 2009 (I just switched from maya to max so I'm a total newb when it comes to max's uv workflow), I always have this error (attached image). I tried to change the path but it still goes back to default one. I know a bunch of you guys use Roadkill, maybe you could help me out. Thanks. :poly121:

Btw, I'm using Roadkill v1.1, which is the free version. Thanks for the help.

roadkill_problem.jpg

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    haven't tried the plugin for max yet but have you tried:
    - working with a poly instead of a mesh
    - checked that it works with the prehistoric max 8?
    - Generating a UV upon your first primitive start model (there should be a tick that says "generate UV's) otherwise you wont have a registered vertex Channel for the UV.

apart from that the window says that it can't temporarily create the OBJ to push it to roadkill,- are you sure that URL exists on your computer? and are you sure you have admin rights as it tries to write data directly into your max8 folder?
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ renderhjs: Thanks man. I already tried everything you said except for trying it in max8 but still I can't get it to work.

About the url thingy, there's a setting there where you can change the path to save the file the problem is everytime I edit it it just goes back to the default one.

P.S. Thanks for the textools man, such a big help.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I looked at the script:
    and this should be the spot where it stops for you:
    exportFile OBJFilePath #noPrompt selectedOnly:true

the error message itself is not coded within the script so its the OS or Max that can't write the file to the distination. SO I think that either the URL is wrong or you have no rights.

also some of the URL's are hard coded:
    local EdgeFilePath = "C:Program FilesAutodesk3dsMax8meshesedgList.edg"
    local OBJFilePath = "C:Program FilesAutodesk3dsMax8meshesroadkillOBJ.obj"

maybe change them,

just open the script in notepad or any other texteditor and spot the lines:
    local EdgeFilePath = "C:Program FilesAutodesk3dsMax8meshesedgList.edg"
    local OBJFilePath = "C:Program FilesAutodesk3dsMax8meshesroadkillOBJ.obj"

and change them for example to:
    local EdgeFilePath = "C:edgList.edg"
    local OBJFilePath = "C:roadkillOBJ.obj"

so it writes it directly to the C: drive which in most cases and yours most likely too is available. So save the changes to the *.ms (maxscript) file and run the script again (in max F11, from that panel, file > run script... > choose your file, hit ok)

You haven't yet pointed it out but are you even working with max8 ? or max9 as I can see polyboost which was popular among the max 9 though 2009 releases of max.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'll try it man and I'll let you know.

I'm using max 2009 so not sure if this roadkill version works.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn man!! Amazingly it works! Thank you so much. Now I can use this in combo with your textools! :poly121: :thumbup:
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you are welcome,- might be a good choice for the future though to dynamically detect any temporarily and writable paths- I had about just the same issue in TexTools i.e for writing images to the clipboard for which I need temporary files.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome! i used to using roadkill in softimage, trying to get it to work in max. I select the edges i want the cuts and all, but when i come into roadkill my mesh doesnt seem to be cut or anything....what am i doing wrong?

Before export, i made the mesh into an editable mesh, prior to that i selected the edges using a editable poly.

When im inside of road kill, different edges are selected. im wondering if some how the point count is being changed or something.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    try it with a mesh instead of a poly. Never tried this but I am not sure if the copy selected edges is supposed to be covered. After all the way I understand it so far only a OBJ is passed to the application. And OBJ can't save selection sets.

Just select the edges in Roadkill and unwrap it there, export it back and import it in max - done
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha I could never get this work.

Figures why. Thanks :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Well....sighs...i guess i could do that.

Another question. Does this pluggin work on max2010? I tried it and it seems like the script runs, but its not really communicating with roadkill. Any suggestions.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @Raul: understood and read this?