Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another sci-fi hall enviro [WIP]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Starting up a sci-fi hallway. It originally started out as just doing a quake 4 pillar concept by Paul Richards, but decided to make a scene out of it. I didn't use any concept for the floor. Pillar came out to be 875 tri's and a 512x1025 map. The floor is a 512x512 mirrored in the middle

Crysis screens:
scifi1.jpg
scifi1b.jpg

Replies

• ICESPADE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking awesome. Can you give a wire shot~
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, my only crit at this point (and it seems you've already baked) is that the bottom foot part of the support pillar seems as if it's disconnected and can't support the rest of the wall based on the hinge its relying on. Perhaps you may have something running along the bottom of the wall to break that up.

Either way looking good, keep it up!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Wires posted as requested

@kaburan: thanks. Hmm, yah i guess the hinge seems a bit weak, but it doesn't look too bad from the sides, where you can see the hinge connector thingy a bit better. I'll see if I can fatten that part up a bit

wires1a.jpg
    wires1b.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Not a huge update, wall section WIP. Been kinda slow without a concept and really wish I had some concepting skills, or a concept artist friend, heh. I've just been noodling and this is all i came up with so far :P

highpoly

scifi2.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah definitely looks more stable from the side. Must've just been the screenie.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Tip for adding detail that I always fall back on: "Form follows function" as they say, so think of a function, and the form will...

Be sure your edges are big enough to influence your normal maps. You don't want to do all that work, only to have them dissolve into noise. ;) Avoid 90 degree angles baked to a flat surface, etc.