Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 `END GAME | Team Elysium | 3D

Hi everyone! Just setting up our teams post link for UC, got nothing right now to post but will have something tonight or tomorrow. [Team Elysium] consist of three of us artists who all work together at a game company in Orlando called N-Space, Concept- Richard Livingston, Environment Artists- Michael Gold and Colin Adair.:)

Replies

• Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suggestions welcome! still dont really have a name for this yet, working on that. Will start modeling the shell tomorrow and update by the end of the week.

firstruffcopy.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    hey! I used to work for N-Space :) (remember me?)
    I hope everything's going well over there. Hi to everyone from Crystel. It's good to see Richard's helping you with the concept, he has always come up with some really impressive stuff. Do you know if anyone else is participating?

I've got a concept of my own, but I can't say I've ever made an environment before. I was hoping to convince John and Bryce to join me but they haven't responded yet. Ah well.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new ideas and rough 3d, finally working out the top views and some ideas for filling in the environment, not final, but will finish the rough 3d by the end of the weekend, going to mix up the environment with a gothic and high tech look and feel. here is what our team has so far. Richard continues to work out the concept and details Colin is going to start on the main torture device in the center of the Coleseum and im continuing to create the shell of the environment.

floortile.jpg

top_me.jpg

arenatopview.jpg

shot02.jpg

chairwithhangincage.jpg

column.jpg

railingdetail.jpg

gothchair.jpg

stairwayidea-1.jpg
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like everyone is using unreal, and im sure it will be the teams bottle neck when it comes down to putting our stuff in it, Since we are using max we use multisubs and when bring into unreal is there any easy way to use those existing material ids in unreal and with out hand assigning them to the shader, im new with it .

any links would be much appreciated

thanks in advance :poly136:
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Good start Ubersock. To import the .ase mesh files with separate ids all you need to do is put a texture into each diffuse slot, of each material you need to use. I think I managed to automate the shader assignment once. I think if you import all of the textures first, then create the shaders inside UEd, and naming them the same as the shaders in Max, then it might work. Assign all of the same textures in max in the appropriate slots. It seemed to work for me once, iirc.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start Ubersock. To import the .ase mesh files with separate ids all you need to do is put a texture into each diffuse slot, of each material you need to use. I think I managed to automate the shader assignment once. I think if you import all of the textures first, then create the shaders inside UEd, and naming them the same as the shaders in Max, then it might work. Assign all of the same textures in max in the appropriate slots. It seemed to work for me once, iirc.

Thank you so much Target_Renegade! I will give that a shot this weekend and post the results
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    building out where objects will be located, distance scale, and seeing what works.

rough_05.jpg

rough_04.jpg

rough_03.jpg

rough_02.jpg

rough_01.jpg
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any ideas are welcome, critique please , anyone?

uncomfy%20chair.jpg

team%20banner.jpg

roof%20section.jpg

large%20hanging%20electrical%20thingy.jpg

cage%20fittings.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    well first and foremost, SMALLER IMAGES! I'm sure more than a few people will be turned away from this thread because of load time, you guys should sort that out.

Overall your concepts are solid, i want to say a little on the flimsy side with the chair though, too many really tiny details that don't translate well in game engines, try adding some meatier bits. My favorite bit is the wall prop, Nice and meaty with easy to model shapes but intersting character, with cool but doable effects that can be added in the game engine.

The flag seems a bit overly generic to me, a fist clasping a lightning bolt in that style just doesn't lift your scene up.

The cage above the chair could definitely use some jazzing up, some simple spikes would go a long way.

Overall great pencilwork and perspective. I'd use your cieling prop for inspiration in jazzing up the overall scene and bringing a cool, unified, doable style. Also, you guys need to think of a color scheme, or at least start experimenting so you can incorporate objects and shapes into your designs that will use the correct colors in the correct proportions.

Hope that helps, you guys have a strong start.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well first and foremost, SMALLER IMAGES! I'm sure more than a few people will be turned away from this thread because of load time, you guys should sort that out.

Overall your concepts are solid, i want to say a little on the flimsy side with the chair though, too many really tiny details that don't translate well in game engines, try adding some meatier bits. My favorite bit is the wall prop, Nice and meaty with easy to model shapes but intersting character, with cool but doable effects that can be added in the game engine.

The flag seems a bit overly generic to me, a fist clasping a lightning bolt in that style just doesn't lift your scene up.

The cage above the chair could definitely use some jazzing up, some simple spikes would go a long way.

Overall great pencilwork and perspective. I'd use your cieling prop for inspiration in jazzing up the overall scene and bringing a cool, unified, doable style. Also, you guys need to think of a color scheme, or at least start experimenting so you can incorporate objects and shapes into your designs that will use the correct colors in the correct proportions.

Hope that helps, you guys have a strong start.

Great points, thank you so much for the Crit, definitely smaller pics from now on, and i will reduce the size of the current ones as well
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    concepts are looking nice. I think the pic sizes are fine. I'm on cable and they loaded just fine for me.
  • danpV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ubersock, I can definitely emphasize with the want for a critique (no critiques for us either :/), so I'll lend a hand with some observations.

You three certainly have a kickass start, and consequentially the preliminary builds and concepts are looking very promising. Gotta' agree with crazyfingers - you have solid pencil work going on and the level of concept per detail is simply fun to follow.

My current concern is a nit-picky one and probably isn't actually a problem. The platform walkway around the cage and on the upper level feel incredibly barren. What are your plans for constructing those pathways? Tiles? Large-cut segmentation (like sidewalk construction except 10x)?

Good luck guys! This is looking very strong!
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpV wrote: »
    Hey Ubersock, I can definitely emphasize with the want for a critique (no critiques for us either :/), so I'll lend a hand with some observations.

You three certainly have a kickass start, and consequentially the preliminary builds and concepts are looking very promising. Gotta' agree with crazyfingers - you have solid pencil work going on and the level of concept per detail is simply fun to follow.

My current concern is a nit-picky one and probably isn't actually a problem. The platform walkway around the cage and on the upper level feel incredibly barren. What are your plans for constructing those pathways? Tiles? Large-cut segmentation (like sidewalk construction except 10x)?

Good luck guys! This is looking very strong!

Agree the pathways will need to be thought out more, all in due time my friend, some ideas are being thought of and will post the new screens when we can
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am really digging this! :)
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI everyone, I started to model, the high rez, grabber which is the thingy hanging from the ceiling above the torture chair, let me know what you think and if I should change anything on it , it is still WIP though have a couple of parts i need to finish modeling including the cables

Grabber_01.jpg
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard is a machine , he just pumps out this stuff in no time meanwhile colin and I are pulling verts.

big%20arch%20detail%20construction.jpg

cieling%20detail.jpg

uncomfy%20chair-2.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    lol, those r some freakin torture stuff here :)
    I love the concept ellaboration, no need to do 3d anymore ;)
  • nyloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    Here is my first model for Team Elysium, the concept is posted above and it is a chalice / emblem for our environment. More to come soon!

Chalice_Emblem_01.jpg
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin wrote: »
    lol, those r some freakin torture stuff here :)
    I love the concept ellaboration, no need to do 3d anymore ;)

Thanks so much, we still have lots to do, time running short ahhhhhh!!!:poly122:
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished high rez grabber thingy now im going to make the low rez

any thoughts?

grabber.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Super cool, i'd take that spring shape out of the bottom though, it's going to take up a lot of tris and a spark right there would look just as good.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that's a good thought, might do that becuase if i do model the coil it will look cheesy if its to low in poly count , im also considering less coil turns as an alternative becuase the sparks are on the other ends but i see know reason they cant be on both ends
  • nyloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    Uncomfy_Chair_01.jpg

This is what I have modeled of the "uncomfy chair" so far. Im using the second concept which is a bit thicker than the first, so that it can translate a little better in a game engine as crazyingers mentioned.
  • nyloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    Uncomfy_Chair_02.jpg

updated high res version of the chair
  • nyloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    concept for the base of the chair

chair_base_01.jpg