Zastaba CZN-M22 Rifle

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
czn-m22_wip-4.jpg
czn-m22_wip2-1.jpg
czn-m22_wip3.jpg
6412 tris
Object space normals to illustrate the uv layout, although the renders are using a tangent space normal map.
th_CZN-M22_test_normals.png

Is there any particular reason for the bake errors on the curved areas - the grips and charging handle? I know the grips have uv seems down the middle but I'm not sure if that is the cause.

Replies

• iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is hella awesome, But the handle looks like its melted :P near the seam.
    And whats with the intense normals ?
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    make sure to render your normals in tangant space and not world space
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Orgoth02, marmoset handles both object space and tangent space.

It looks like you just need a larger cage in those areas.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looks awesome, those errors should be pretty easy to correct. looking forward to seeing more! :thumbup:
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a another rifle!

I wish, conceptually, people would branch away from modeling perfect replicas of guns. While it may be an impressive display of technical skill, it lacks any sort of "umph" or creative sizzle.

I would look to Ratchet and Clank, Zeno Clash, and games like that for reference and inspiration rather than games like Counter Strike or Ghost Recon, or w/e.

And if you need more motivation than my ramblings, the absolute most common thing I hear from people that are hiring is that "We don't want to see photo-real cars/guns, we want to see imagination" or some variation along those lines.

But if you want to work on shooter mod X or sim racer Y, I guess it's pretty good subject matter.

/rant

As for the model itself, looks excellent.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Fixed the bake errors and kill[a]s_ provided a better quality AO map. Tangent as you can see, sucks in comparison, but it's what source gets. Anyways I'll try rebaking the tangent before releasing the files out.

Fixed the bake errors by baking the affected components separately, I guess exploding the floating parts would've had the same affect.

czn-m22_bake_normal_compare.jpg