Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Society

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
High Society

high_society01.jpg

Every once in a while I find something truly inspirational. I read my fair share of Cerebus books back in high school, but it's imagery escaped me until this vivid reminder crossed my screen.
http://www.jazzbastards.org/cerebustheaardvark/Cerebus%20Wallpaper%20(High%20Society).jpg

This piece currently stands at full placeholder. As in, I've recreated the original concept to a fair degree of accuracy even with it's deceptively skewed perspective that even MC Escher would be proud of. My goal is to recreated the original drawing with the next step being clean up this less than optimal pile of polygons. It should prove entertaining to recreate the penciled appearance.

Not unlike the original image presented in this thread, I'm hoping the stylish interpretation of the final will fill my heart with glee, and not be a transparent facade of lazily not texturing that the wiser have already discovered. Speaking of the original silhouette image, that was in no way my original intention, but a happy accident when assembling screenshots.

wireframe viewport snapshot
high_society01b.jpg

plenty to do, more on this soon.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was Cerebus. Nice going so far its looking great, Gerhard would be proud!

You're going for the penciled crosshatch look? That could be pretty cool. I could see the crosshatch as part of a shader over some semi painterly textures.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    holy smokes. looks very heavy. great work. is it unwrapped already?
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome! Got anymore shots of it?
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    I love this idea. Can't wait to see the final.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    F A N T A S T I C !

Have you considered 'not' unwrapping it? Just highpoly, nice lighting, a piece of art.

Really, why kill yourself taking it the game art road when something this cool will stand on it remaining mostly a cool moody gothic piece of silhouette art. I mean, I already love your first shot much more than the 2nd, I don't think we should see behind the curtain of this one or it would lose it's cool.

I may of course be speaking as a fan of the series though, it's one of the best books he wrote and that cover image is just amazing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd like to see some closer wire & no-wire shots myself. I enjoy seeing geometry smashed together to make something fun :D

What about even, for shits and giggles, make a shader easily in max that mimics cross hatching for your shading.
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ridley075 polycounter lvl 10
    If you plan on texturing this, I hope alot of it is modular pieces. Would definitely be the way to go. The windows, pillars, etc, could all be modular. In fact, it's almost symmetrical, so, yeah.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    appreciate all the positive feedback. I'd have more on this, but right after I posted it I had a lot of worked dumped on my plate (real meat and potatoes kinda stuff). Yes, the plan is to use some sort of shader, rendering effect, post processing, whatever it takes to get the look I'm after. I've been experimenting with a few shaders but haven't hit exactly what I'm after yet. I'll be posting more on this asap.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just getting back to this here. Start experimenting with the shader and a bit of photoshop after. Still working it all out, and have yet to finalize the model.
    high_society02.jpg