Home Technical Talk

3dsmax: updating textures in viewport after save?

I have textures assigned to objects that I'm looking at in my viewport, and I've just updated the texture in photoshop. The texture in the viewport doesn't update until I dig into the material and hit reload (sometimes just looking at the bitmap 'page' will be enough to force a reload though). I had a handy script for maya to do this, but when I switched to max I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did this by default. It has unfortunately stopped, but I can't figure out why. Ideas?

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    AFAIK you only have to open the Material Editor...maybe rotate the Camera a bit to make the Viewport redraw...
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just hit M to open the material editor, then close and move the camera and see if it updates. If not, go into the actual material and click on view or something.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using realtime shaders? If so then sometimes you need to update the bitmap, or do what you were doing already.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it takes a while if your texture is a bit larger, or if its a psd. It takes it a while to reprocess the layers. I also think it has a min time after one update that it will update again. So if you update 3x in 1min it might stop dynamically updating because its a drain on the system.

Just my crazy theories after having it happen to me just about every day for the past 4 years... I normally do what what mLichy suggested.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Whats worse though is when it stops redrawing textures at all. Even with a reload and re-pointing to the psd. Those cases, I have to shut down and reopen max. And it usually happens with the same files after 1 or two psd saves... :/

(Max 9 -maybe fixed in later versions. Like I hope the spec dx shader not showing fixed)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well, this once happen to me because I end up with a few different versions of my texture and sometimes it's just that you don't have the correct texture loaded into the material that is assigned to your mesh.

It happens to me =/ I should use .PSD more often though instead of .tga... Hope you get it fixed, sry i wasn't much help, your not alone I am using 2009 you?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Whats worse though is when it stops redrawing textures at all. Even with a reload and re-pointing to the psd. Those cases, I have to shut down and reopen max. And it usually happens with the same files after 1 or two psd saves... :/

(Max 9 -maybe fixed in later versions. Like I hope the spec dx shader not showing fixed)
    Nope it still happens. It's actually starting to run out of resources and degrading the scene kind of like having adaptive degradation forced on even if you have it turned off. I think its caused by a memory leak and when it happens you're on your way to a crash if you keep going. It still happens in 2008, 2009, 2010...

It kicks on sometimes when I scrub the bar and preview an animation normally when there are a lot of angle deformers and morphs playing all at the same time. The texture will normally pop back when it doesn't I get worried and save.