Home General Discussion

redering and hardware question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
hey

i have this hi poly model im working on

i have about 5-6 object that im rendering during the wip

now, it takes me about 6-7 min to render it but when i add another object +\- the same amount of polies as the other objects it goes from 6-7min render to 50-60 hours!

now i wanna know why

i have Q6600 with 8gb ram

does it cross some hardware limit?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on the scene, the app you're using, the lighting, the materials, any effects you have, fog, particles ect and of course the render engine.

If you can get a little more specific about those that would be very helpful.

Also, I think this might end up in tech talk? So if it disappears or gets moved check there.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I suposed you are jumping to some kind of fancy Mental ray/vray setup.
    Screw all that, focus on simple default lights, cranking up the ambiant, focusing on a striking photo setup. You don't need anything fancy at all. Also do you need to animate all that? If not, simply lock your camera and render everything in passes (black material with a back light for the rimlight - diffuse material only - Zdepth only - and a few others) and just recreate the shot in photoshop.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Also depending, tune your render settings.
    Ie XSI has a "Bsp" variable you can tweak. After a few tests I managed to get a 20 min render down to 6 min.

Another thing to consider is your 2nd model corrupt? If the 2nd model renders fine it might not be.

A way to fix corrupt model is to export it out, then reimport.

Another idea if both objects are similar, try merging them into one object.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    You could try rendering in passes, then composite them in photoshop. Doing it this way should shorten render times and you'll get more control of your final renders.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use modo, is superfast!!!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No but seriously guy, some more info would be helpful.

What software? 32 bit or 64 bit?
    What renderer?
    What sort of lighting?
    What resolution render?
    What triangle count?
    What method for sub-division?

etc any info here is helpful
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a lot you can do to optimize you're rendering to give you a good preview without all the expensive calculations. You don't need to make it a final render each time while you're working on it. Maybe shut off AA, or final gather.

But yea more info...