Home Technical Talk

Low Poly Lettering

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Is there a simplified way to create low poly lettering using the text tool in maya?

Rite now the only way i can think of is to start with a box and get extruding, but fonts are so much more convenient

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    You could just make it planar and weld any unnecessary points, then extrude or whatever you want. You could try Poly-Reduce also, although I find that it will give you some pretty mixed results. Best bet would just be trying to merge unnecessary points together I think.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Just trace the fonts or reduce them.
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    It is so painful to use the text tool in Maya lol.
    I can't begin to guess why it hasn't been upgraded since so many versions ago.

There's definitely no magic trick though, but you'll sweat for it ahah

I usually get the text I need as a polysurface, get into edge mode and select all the edges of a letter and delete them. Maya won't delete the border edges leaving you with a single poly for the whole letter (n-gon). But be careful not to delete edges so the letter will become a hollow polygon.
    Then you'll either have to clean the extra vertices all along the border edges or go the lazy way and do a merge vertices and try various thresholds.

extrude only once you have a clean enough 2d text.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The way I did it in for Catalunya was floating polygonal geometry that had a generic tiled texture on it. If I used alpha cards the texture would've had to been huge to get the same level of crispness as the textures around it.

948030_20090805_790screen052.jpg
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this isnt my post but its a related question: When I make text in max, I always get hollow geometry How to you make solid font?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    The Surfaces module of Maya, go to menu Surfaces > Bevel Plus. It's a lot better for making 3D-lettering in Maya compared to the regular Extrude. You can set it to Polygon output and specify either amount of sections or face count. Never really got the face count to match the specified number though.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Canden - it creates splines by default. So you have to convert the spline text to editable poly.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    very good tips, thanks everyone. I ended up using kodde's method, which was perfect for getting a good low poly base to work with and optimize.

Thats an awesome trick vassago, i've always wondered how most racing games had such large sections of really high res tex like that