Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Skylebones

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
skylebones polycounter lvl 10
I love the idea of sketchbooks, and figured I should start my own. I've been in the game industry for a few years now and I'm currently on the job hunt again. This will be a good place for me to experiment and post various test while I search for a new position.

Here is a model I finished up last Wednesday. I'm not much of a character artist, but as soon as I found out about the Marmoset toolbag I knew I had to make something to test it out.

I spent about a week on it. Base mesh modeled in XSI, High-Res Mesh created in Z-Brush.

LMan.jpg

Here is this weeks project. I modeled it on Friday. Next step is to make the high-res and textures. I'm doing some test with baking the Normals out of XSI, ZBrush, and XNormal to see which one will give me the best results.

Hatch_01.jpg

Thanks for checking it out! I've got plenty more to come.

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Would be interested to see the high-poly of the lizard man. What ref did you use, was it based on a Games Workshop miniature, or your own/another concept?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks, It's something I came up with on my own. When I originally made him I went with traditional stuff. Normal looking Plate armor and a sword. But then I was thinking, why would a different race create something we would use. So I wanted things to look familiar, but different. So I came up with some strange looking armor and added the abstract lines to make it seem a bit more 'alien'.

I'll try and get some screenshots together of the high-res assets out of Z-Brush.

Here is the finished hatch posted above.

I've been swamped with doing art test. But I had a week where I had no test scheduled and figured I'd do a personal test.

I gave myself one week to sketch out a concept, model, uv map, create the high-res assets, texture, and get it all working real-time. There is a bit more I'd like to do, but I'm out of time.

Hatch_03.jpg
    Hatch_04.jpg
    Hatch_02.jpg
    Hatch_01.jpg

Now back to the real art test so I can get a job.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! If LOST took place in the antarctic instead of the Hawaiian desert island then this'd fit right in. :D

Great texturing - especially on the snow - really has that soft powdery feel to it. :thumbup:
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thanks johnny six.

I kind of like it actually. I think I'm going to go back when I have some time and give it a proper texture job.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like it too, just for 4 hours? Damn. looks like the normals were just done in crazy bump or something, right? I see some tris that could be remove but it looks great, a mix of Team Fortress 2 and real life.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice, not sure about the lines across the handle and front grip and the texture could use a bit of dirt and scratches
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work. I really like that revolver.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! After making the revolver it gave me an idea for a character. So I started this one today. I've been working on it off and on while doing an environment art test. I've got some clean up and more work to do (Real eyes, a proper pose, etc.). Then I'll texture him and give the revolver a proper texture job.

Guy.jpg

ZacD- The normals were actually baked off a high-res model. I'll have to take screenshots of that. I usually create the low-res model then make the high-res off of that. Because of the time constraints I only modeled the high-res stuff that needed to be baked. Like the lines in the handle and the notches in the cylinder.
  • DeusExMatteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeusExMatteo polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to see the revolver with final textures:) I get the feeling you have a good work flow when I read your comments. Would really appreciate to hear you talk a little about it and to see the hi-poly of the gun. Keep it up!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I've got nothing else lined up (Sadly :() I'll post some more WIP images to better show my work flow and the process I use.
  • DeusExMatteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeusExMatteo polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome! :) what kind of education is it? I assume it's a test for school, but maybe it's something else? Hope you ace the test! I'm attending a school in malmö, sweden that works together with Massive, the guys that made World in Conflict.

Looking forward to learn more about your work flow.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to put the above character on hold while I finish my environment stuff.

Here is the second of my one week environment challenges. Started this one on monday. All textures are hand painted, no photo overlays.

Watchtower_01.jpgWatchtower_02.jpgWatchtower_03.jpgWatchtower_04.jpg

I'll be starting the 3rd one on Monday. I've had a blast working on these.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the One Week Environment Challenge #3.

Trophy_Truck_S.jpg

I'm a huge off-road racing fan. So this one was the funnest, but it was also by far the hardest. I wanted to model the truck to be as game ready as possible. I modeled the shocks, the engine, and a ton of other stuff that isn't visible in this image, but would be visible jumping around in a game. It was a lot more work creating this in one week than I thought it would be.

I'll be starting #4 tomorrow. Unlike the other ones, I have no idea what I'm going to make tomorrow.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently re-did my website, and in the process cleaned out a lot of the old images. I apologize that the images above are missing.

Anyways, Here is a model I made about 6 months ago that I decided to re-texture.

Old_Revolver.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And just finished this one up today.

I'm a big submarine fan.

Cutlass_Sub.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an environment I started. Doing something cartoony and stylized with some hand painted textures. Just started the diffuse maps. I'll be posting the progress.

Pirate_Hideout_01.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like your ideas keep it up
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Landed a job at Cartoon Network and I just barely got things situated. Here's a speed painting to help me get back into the groove of being productive after work.

Speed_Sketch_13.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, congratulations! :D

Looking forward to seeing your island & boat. :)
  • Baker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats. I know its a speed painting but I gotta critique if you dont mind, the trees are fading due to the atmosphere(since its fading blue?) however the mountains are clearly visible and so is the foreground , thus throwing me off. Did you free hand paint each detail or was it a mix? Mabey add some clouds as it looks like theres cloud reflections in the water, dunno.