Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio upgrade and comicon

MM
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MM polycounter lvl 17
i am in the process of upgrading my portfolio so i thought i would make a thread here as well to show some wip and stuff.

kingpin update - 10/05/09

king_bw.jpg

king_pr.jpg

king_gr.jpg

kingpin update - 09/29/09

kingpin4_1.jpg

kingpin4_2.jpg

kingpin4_3.jpg

kingpin4_4.jpg

also, here is my comicon entry:

CL_Beauty.jpg

CL_Presentation.jpg

CL_Construction.jpg

CL_Textures.jpg

CL_Concept.jpg

and here is the wip of Iblis, my DW3 entry which i decided to finish now lol.

dw6.jpg

dw8.jpg

Replies

• Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    oooo you made chun li a little chubby! :D i really like it i must say, also the dw3 character was lookin hot... great stuff! lookin forward to seeing more more more!!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Her breast seem a little lower then they should be~~

Great work on here though. Clean!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    whats_true wrote: »
    Her breast seem a little lower then they should be~~

Great work on here though. Clean!

I think it seems that way because her head is pretty small in comparison to her body, so her upper chest seems larger than it would if her head and neck were larger. If anything, they're actually high on her chest; a good marker for the location of breasts is to have the nipple somewhere around the the middle of the upper arm.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i am so totally diggin that wip you have goin' on there man... really sweet! too bad you didn't finish it last year... but i'm really lookin' forward to how it progresses. keep us posted!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah great job!!! And great attention to the hands too, very nice.
    I feel like the body suffers a little bit from the sculpted smoothness syndrome tho - it is as if you somehow lost a few geometry planes defining the blody structure, melting them together a bit too much. It *might* be possible to fix it on the lowpoly. It's quite obvious on that big beauty render.

About the presentation : I think the face would look better if the secondary light was tinted instead of white. Orange or blue, it would give more depth to the face. At the moment it's a bit strange to have white light>shade terminator>white light again.

Makes me want to finish mine hehe.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    @pior - i actually do have color lights for that render. if u look at the image with the wireframes you should see the tinted lights on the face wireframes. i have a warm and a cool light for that scene. May be i could have pushed the light little more though.

as for the body smoothness i agree. it is something i would like to pay more attention to in future works for sure. it would have become more TF2-ish if i did that which i didnt exactly want for this piece but something that would love to do in some other piece.

ok here is the wip on the sword which will go with her.
    i did the high poly a while back and now finishing the texture.

dw_st1.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude insane! insane! insane!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    stunning work, she really looks alive, def the hottest Chun Li I have ever seen!!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    that sword is awersomestest!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that's awesome MM, great take on chun-li, face looks brilliant and nice job on the costume, head seems really small though, might suit being a little bigger?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i was too worried about the head size and i was going back and forth a little.
    but i think the head size is good for her height (i wanted to keep it 8 heads ratio).
    i think it is some of the other body featuers that could be adjusted a little to make head look more appropriate.

ch_h.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    pretty much done with this one and i need to move on to something new.

just viewport screens for now, renders later.

dw9.jpg

dw10.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That's some damn fine work all around
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I like this A LOT.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ho le fuck! your dom war entry literally made my eyes buldge for a second <3
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, that DW character is looking really good! And you're making quick progress with it, it seems.

The Chun-Li character is really well executed also, you did a fantastic job with the textures, although, it not really my kind of style. (too cartoony for my tastes)

By the way, the "Street Cop" on your portfolio website is one of my favorite characters of all time (portfolio wise) and your work has been a big inspiration to me for several years now. Keep up the good work!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely love your portfolio, uber work all around :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Where everyone says this is one of their favorite Chun Li's they've seen, I'm the exact opposite. You're good in your execution, yes, but your proportions in her anatomy are off and her face is very unattractive.

Her eyes are too creased on the inside and her mouth looks like she's overweight.

The sword, in execution, is good. The concept is really boring though. If you just single out the silhouette it's a pretty boring shape.

The last character is the best of everything you've shown by far. You still have an issue with a "fat face" look, though.

The work I'm most happy with is your texturing, you really have that down :)

Here is a paintover of Chun-Li to give an example of what I'm talking about:
    CL_Construction22.jpg

What I did: Soften the crease at the inner part of the eye, softened the area around the mouth, softened the crease above the eye, and added a bit more noticeable secondary lighting on her left (our right) eye on the right side.

Hope that helps.

You could also add in an alpha plane by her eyes just for the subtle detail of eyelashes. She may be a badass kung fu master, but she can still look cute in the process :p

CL_Construction33.jpg

By the way, I love your portfolio as well. I remember seeing your Street Cop character on CGtalk a while ago and absolutely loved it :D! I can't get over how awesome your Hellboy is too, love the proportions.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, I love your work! Nice to see the DW entry get finished, that texturing is very good.

About the Chun Li entry, I have to agree about the proportion comments, the head definitely looks too small - and I think that even though you matched the "head height" as compared to the older Chun Li concept, I think the reason the older one works with those proportions is because the waist and neck are so narrow. With the really exaggerated narrow waist and neck, the torso doesn't look as bulky, and so the smaller head fits quite well.

With your version you have made her torso quite bulky, her waist and neck are more "normal human" proportion, but her head is still as small as the concept shown, so there is a mismatch between the scale of the body and the head. Like the body you have done is pretty much correct for "realistic superhero" proportions, rather than the super-exaggerated "tiny torso, massive legs" style of original Chun Li.

I also agree with Haiasi's paintover that softening the eyelid fold and adding eyelashes really helps her face seem more natural and less "hard".

It's still great stuff though. :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for the c&c about chun-li. i think most of the things you mention can be subjective and personal taste. i personally dont find the paintover pleasing. it looks overly "pretty" to me. some people like tall skinny where as i dont at all. all i can say is different people have different taste. obviously there is room for improvement but i believe after the high level technical goals are achieved every artist has the right to distort the rest. the feedback is welcome anyways since it is always interesting to know what others think.

anyways, i am calling it done for Iblis. here are the renders:

Iblis_RP.jpg

Iblis_RC.jpg

Iblis_RT.jpg

Iblis_RW.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My god you work fast Mashru, fantastic work :)

I do have one crit for the site though. Using lightbox (or whatever you have on there) I like, but any chance can you start linking your photos together so I can just click next or arrow key instead of clicking... waiting to load, click out then click again. Its a small nitpick, and I honestly don't think people would care clicking more times to see your work, but streamlining the process would make it all a bit easier :)

Great work!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    My god you work fast Mashru, fantastic work :)

I do have one crit for the site though. Using lightbox (or whatever you have on there) I like, but any chance can you start linking your photos together so I can just click next or arrow key instead of clicking... waiting to load, click out then click again. Its a small nitpick, and I honestly don't think people would care clicking more times to see your work, but streamlining the process would make it all a bit easier :)

Great work!

thanks and good point. i will be updating my site soon so i will definitely keep that in mind.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... just figured I'd try.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    been working on the game res version of one of my old sculpts

some maya viewport grabs:

kingpin4_1.jpg

kingpin4_2.jpg

kingpin4_3.jpg

kingpin4_4.jpg
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    inspired by kingpin by any chance? the game that is. clean and crisp. i really like how the belt strap being modelled out help sell the normal map illusion on the rest of the mesh :)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Great Stuff man! Great thread :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys.

i wrapped up this guy cause i need to move on to something actually new i had in mind for a while. i am calling this done but any and all comments are always welcome. thanks.

king_bw.jpg

king_pr.jpg

king_gr.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Amazing cloth work, all the little details are great (tape, glove, ring, belt, pushed up sleave, cigar). I'd love to know your workflow on the wrinkles. and such a nice soft face :P.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Your guys eye recesses look a bit too dark but overall totally stunning work!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Beautiful work!
    Really inspirational for me personally.

If you don't mind saying, what are the specs for your Kingpin character?
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must I tell you again!! Mahru, your work is just fantastic and demonstrates so much dedication and such a high level of craftsmanship that i and other artist strive constantly to achieve. Thanks for sharing man, truly inspiring and we cant wait to see your next piece.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    fantastic texture work!!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys.

the character is @ 9390 tri with 2k texture for the body and 1k for the head.
    the gun is at 972 tri with 1k texture. i will try to post the wires and textures soon.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    awesome kingpin, I think it would be good if you could get some lighting under his chin so that the shadow there isnt so black maybe a little hint of red there would give an sss feel to it.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey bro sick stuff as always!
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Woa, nice. Liking the colour choices.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    oh mr. Mishu. Your such an inspiration to us all. Your work is so ace; I can only hope that I can get to that quality one day.

Really digging how you finished the demon chick and kingpin, so very cool!!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    here are the color flats at 50% scale:

king_texFlat.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful!

The face is absolutely amazing man, love the eyes!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top of the line work, of course. Could we possibly see a closer shot of the wires of the gun and the normal bakes of the character? I want to study your mastery :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Haiasi here you go

king_w1.jpg

king_w2.jpg
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    DUDE! SO FULL OF WIN!

I'm loving both the characters! FUCKING SICK NASTY!

Mybe put some mustard stains on that dudes shirt, or even some blood/grunge to break it up a lil.

Impressive....most impressive
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    updating this thread with the latest works.

here is the latest character/s i am working on. basically i wanna morph that tribal skinny guy to the freak monster model. i am using the same topology and UV so that i can blend all the textures. so far the the normal maps on both end seems to hold up. tough part is going to be texturing it with any visible pixel distortion. i may need to do 3d projection texturing in that case to avoid it.

here is straight blend test without any bone scaling or transition pacing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lujJSpwDYg[/ame]

fmt1.jpg

fmt2.jpg

high poly of the meshes

freak_r1.jpg

infected_v1r1.jpg

infref.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Top top top row. Love every part of it, the morph looks fantastic!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I love your textures and esp. love how good looking and structured your silhouettes are :)
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    hot damn you are outdoing yourself, love the morphing test
    with your texturing skills cant wait to see how this turns out
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    This looks fantastic, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this morph turns out
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hell yeah,
    Some very serious modeling skills going on here MM, I love it all!
    Im also working on an african man sculpt and seeing your work got me super inspired!
    thanks for sharing.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks everyone, i wrapped up the textures.

frh_c3.jpg

frh_c1.jpg

frh_c2.jpg

frh_w1.jpg

frh_w2.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wanna see the morph with the textures, are you going to vfx it up and make it crazy looking?