Home General Discussion

What do they look for?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DEElekgolo interpolator
I am a 14 year old 3d modeler that is going to attend saturday college classes for intro to 3d game art. I need to make a small portfolio with 10 pieces of artwork in it but I am unsure of what kind of work I should show. My sister is a 2d artist and she says that I should post/make work that is original. But I'm not sure. I don't have that much that is original. Just some nice re-makes of things from licensed games. I thought they would just look for skill in modeling and not pure creativity.
So what kind of things should I show? Modeling skill or things of creativity.

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    At this early phase of your goal, It would be awesome to see a solid Knowledge of anatomy in someone so young. Get a anatomy book and model and draw everything in it. That would be impressive.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    TEN?

How long have you got to make 10 pieces?

If you've got time to be original and make art, then go for it.

I say "Keep it simple", make 10 items that appear in games - and realise that in the making of these 10 assets you'll learn a huge amount of the techniques the course is going to teach you.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    If you've already got a few models done in 3d, you should be golden. A Saturday workshop really shouldn't be turning away passionate people who want a start. You're 14 and already have some 3d models done, i'd say you're already ahead of the curve :D.

You're young, you got no one breathing down your neck, just do what you want for now. There's plenty of time to do what other people want you to do in the future.

For a starting artist like you, i'd suggest doing some handgun tutorials, they're all over the net. Good luck, have fun!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Do simple things as well as you can. Use references heavily. Do what you do best.

In the end, unless it's a prestigious place, as long as you have some work, you'll be fine.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Hey, its not like I'm not already skilled in 3d.
    http://deelekgolo.deviantart.com/gallery/
    I upload more frequently here but be careful...

I wasn't sure if I should show simple props or if I should show full environments and such. And if I should show things like military guns and vehicles and such or if I should just make my own. I don't have much time and I already have some work, but I don't know if I should use the time I have between now and the time I turn it in to be making something unoriginal or not.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Quality rather than creativity usually wins people over. Make what you're interested in. You'll work harder on something if you care about it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    variety is key, no one wants to see 10 pictures of wizards and fantasy characters. Do they want all 3D pieces or a mix of stuff? If they want a mix, make sure you have cartoony, stylized, and realistic pieces, and also character concept art, some landscapes, and some buildings, and probably a still life or 2.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IM not half as good as most of these guys here, but, Like josh said, get your anatomy down. Study at first even trace it out if you have to, then work on drawing it from memory.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I think anatomy is a great gauge for measuring the competency of an artist, but it's not the end all be all it's often toted as. But there's so much reference these days and base meshes that the classical skills often associated with anatomy can actually get in the way of becoming a competent 3d artist. The medium is much more than a pencil and a sketch pad.

Not saying classical principles aren't important. Color, composition, planning, practice; these are all incredibly important. But spending 5 hours a day drawing noses isn't going to do as much good as it did 20 years ago. That said, if you are terrible with anatomy, you should definiltely fix that. Even environmental art requires a basic understanding of human scale and proportion.

Edit: Just checked out your stuff Deelekegolo. You really shouldn't have any problem at all getting in, in fact you'd give most of the kids where i go to school for game art a run for their money at a full time school.

And whether you get in or not, find a mod team on a forum somewhere. Surround yourself with other passionate people of your skill level. I cannot begin to tell you how much that can help you grow as an artist at your skill range.
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After seeing your portfolio, I'd say you have the fundamentals in place. You seem to prefer environment modeling and hard surface over characters (though those weren't absent from your work). If your looking for a good skill sharpening exercise, build a kitchen appliance. Since you have the object ion front of you, you'll have excellent reference and get a chance to apply the skill sets hat others have mentioned here. Don't forget to include a side by side comparison of objects modeled from real life too, as it will give you an opportunity to get a more critical critique of your work.