Home Technical Talk

Texture optimizing....

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycount, I had another question.

I was just wandering how to best optimize the texture for an Iphone game scene. Would tiling be a good way to go about this, with this type of structure? or keep the whole building on one map? Right now I have a 512x512 and 256x256 textures, in the game you will be able to get up face to face with the wall

buildingsTest3.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a bit more of a UV layout question if you want to talk about tiles vs 100% unique unwrap. It might help to see the layout.

Can you use overlays or hovering geometry to help break up the tiles and add unique details?

When you downsize your canvas in photoshop there is a filtering option down at the bottom. It defaults to "make it a blurry mess" you could try one of the sharper settings.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I actually think the second version looks better. Big textures tend to look horrible in tiny screens imo. They always make the scene look so busy. This is specially true for DS/IPhone games.

If you are using unique sets only for ambient occlusion you can change to tiling textures and bake the AO to the vertex color channel.