Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop#3-Shrew81

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Havent done any of the workshops yet, I think Ill just work on them backwards. here's what I got:
high1u.jpg
And here is what Im working from:
grivelairtechiceaxerg.jpg
My first real go at a high poly anything, so im just taking it slow. any amounts of detail I should add? or should I just optimize, bake my floaters and go?

Replies

• Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good. Have you subdivided it yet? Can't be sure yet but I don't know if it will hold or not. Seems like there are a lot of diagonal edges. Usually doesn't matter but I usually try to keep them fairly straight and organized. Anyways, keep going :D.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Shrew, Your choice is a good one, quite simple with interesting details and dangerous as makeshift weapon. About the model, there are some glitches. First is the shape of the head on the left in your picture, it's a bit off. The reference isn't much clear and you could be easily fooled. Be sure to find as many refs as you can before starting modeling or you'll end up with a high poly wrong model, hard to modify.

Here is a nice link to a better zoomable image from a different angle, it could help you.

About topology, I can say it is right when it looks right. Do not go for optimization in your high poly count model, go for accuracy. You should continuously look at your model smoothed and unsmoothed (read with a TurboSmooth on top of the stack in 3ds Max, or by pressing Tab in Modo, or by pressing C and V in Silo, and so on). First thing I catch is the big hole in the head on the right. If it doesn't have support loops it won't stay that shape ever. That means you must add edges around it. The easiest way is to use a chamfer (in 3ds Max), and do that around every hard edge you got.

The teeth (or indents) in the lower right part of the head are a bit under defined for a high poly, I'm quite sure they make a mess when smoothed. They're good for a low poly.

Floaters are good, they're clean and shouldn't cause any problem.

To understand what's really going on, please post wires and smoothed images of the model with visible edges. From what I currently see, I could be wrong. Anyway, keep up the good work.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lown.jpg
    higha.jpg
    Thanks Syncviews, That was the best reference I have yet to find.

I'm pretty sure that these are almost on the spot as far as overall proportions go, any suggestions?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and other views... too late to continue work tonight, will continue when I get some computer time in the next few days.:)
    high2n.jpg
    high3l.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very nice:D
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so Ive been working around baking problems for the last few days, rebuilt both meshes high and low, and it looks much better! just it still wont bake properly...:poly127:
    I just cant seem to get a good bake going. I have tried a few different methods inside of x-normal do get slightly different results, but still bad anyways.
    high:donei.jpg
    Wires:
    wirest.jpg
    Shading Problems:
    smoothingprobs.jpg

Dunno why it looks lumpy, im using silo and xnormal and I dont have access to any other programs atm so I am trying to get this fixed in these programs. (I have access to 3ds max 10 at school, but that's a last resort.)
    I have an old laptop with bad memory and a badly aged Radeon 9200M, so if x-normal runs on video card processing, that may be the problem.
    If anybody can, please take a look at the files. I see so many problems, but I don't really care to upload 50 pics of the same model, especially if its a bad one.:poly136:
    both .objs:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ukrawnzn4my/final.obj
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/dw1zicxmhqg/final_high.obj
    Ps: thanks you guys for the workshop, I'm learning a lot. just off looking at the other threads my workflow speed has doubled.:poly142: