Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Shipping Facility

Im creating this thread and will update it regularly as i create the envrionment and assets to be put into unreal. Here is the concept art that Matthew Ellis did http://www.mattpainting.com/. Overall its a sci-fi shipping facility. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Im trying to build this level to show employers i have what it takes to be an environmental artist. Thanks Nick

3864-1225147038-artwork.jpg
3864-1225217904-artwork-2.jpg

Current progress on crate
Shippingcrate.jpg

Replies

• HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Crate is a good start but I think you're getting ahead of yourself. If you're going to make the environment you should work on blocking out the area first before working on details such as crates. Blocking out will give you a better idea of what to plan out as well. Some things can be built modular and you should be able to reuse assets as well.

Also your crate is too long horinzontally compared to the concept and it's lacking the vents as well.

Are you building a high poly to bake to your low?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark wrote: »
    Crate is a good start but I think you're getting ahead of yourself. If you're going to make the environment you should work on blocking out the area first before working on details such as crates. Blocking out will give you a better idea of what to plan out as well. Some things can be built modular and you should be able to reuse assets as well.

Also your crate is too long horinzontally compared to the concept and it's lacking the vents as well.

Are you building a high poly to bake to your low?

I agree and good advice, i made the crate because i wanted to practice texturing, now ive decided to do the entire environment. So im going to start blocking it out tonight in unreal.

High poly create to bake to my low, i thought about bringing into zbrush but i didnt quite see how much more detail zbrush could add to a simple crate. I will for other objects tho

For the overall box of the facility how would you go about modeling it for unreal? Doing it in max then dropping it in, or using bsp?
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That font seems really off for a shipping container. I don't know my font terminology, but I wouldn't go with one so fancy.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That font seems really off for a shipping container. I don't know my font terminology, but I wouldn't go with one so fancy.

good call ill try switch it to a more computer standard print sorta deal
  • clayton_barton
    Hi Nick,
    Good start to the project. I really like the design of the crate, being Sci-Fi and futuristic yet still looking grungy, like it's been used. Makes it look a whole lot more realistic. Looking in the original concept image, the texture seems to look a little more desaturated, personally, I prefer those colours to the brighter one's you've gone with in the final model. Maybe play around with the hues in photoshop , just to see how it looks? In any case though it's a well done job overall.

Blocking out the environment first has already been mentioned so I won't say anything on that, although it might pay off to draw up an over view of the environment to work from. Doing this would probably give you a better idea of scale and prop positioning as well.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing your progress.