Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Door

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys, been working on this for a couple of days and I am seeking feedback on where to go with it. Grime needs to be added and the vents at the bottom need fixing. I'm using a 1024x1024 map, and its being rendered in 3dsmax with a shadow map. The spec is an overall: 85 spec, 35 gloss. Any advice would be appreciated. The model was made from a WH40k door minature.

2.jpg

Replies

• AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice! Just one crit, I think the paint may have worn off on the vents just a bit too much.
  • Walking Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walking Fly polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very nice ! But I think it got to many bumpy scratches and the text on the door don't need normal map , IMO. Keep it up !
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    your spec is flat. a worn down door would have a scratchy, dirty spec on it. Right now it looks like someone did a fresh wipedown with some mr.clean. but I guess since you haven't done grime yet you'll do the spec afterwards.

also... the bump map for the chipped/scratched paint looks a tad thick. tone it down some too.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I think only very rarely should chips and scratches in painted metal even show in the normal map, often you get much more realistic results leaving it to the specular and reflection maps to enhance those variations in the material. Depends on style though if you're going for a more comic book look then you can get away with the thick fat normal mapped paint.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks promising, I'd have to agree with everyone else on the normal mapped paint being too thick. Also it seems like the door opens outward, but how? I think it needs something like an electronic control panel or manual handles to indicate how it would be opened and closed.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've removed the letter and number indent, toned down the bump map for the chipping and have a more varied specular map. If I make a small scene out of this then I'll add some controls. Any more crits/suggestions to make it look better?

4.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice, much better, but one thing that bothers me is how consistent the paint chips are, every single exposed edge is very chipped Why? i would tone down the chipping alot towards the top of the door maybe even having some untouched areas
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, but I 100% agree with SHEPEIRO, it was the first thing I noticed and it just looks wrong.
    You need to stop and think to yourself, why are parts of the door getting chipped? Paint doesn't just chip off magically in all places. Right now it looks like some nutter with a chisel has been at the paintwork.

There's absolutely no reason why the paint around the windows should be that chipped and flaked off. The area around the bottom of the door is done quite well, but I think the effect of that will be even better if you tone down the paint chips across the rest of the door - it will make it really clear that the bottom of the door gets whacked into a lot (people's boots, stuff scraping against it as it's pushed open etc.).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Besides the paint, perhaps some dent in the metal would be more convincing on top of the paint.

The vents could also use some water damage or rust streaks coming down, though it seems so much more "aged" compared to the rest of the door, it just feels out of place right now.

Maybe look some carrier ships for further door references.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely agree with MOP and Shepeiro. Other than that, those windows needs to be a little bit more interesting. Normally with really armored doors and stuff like that you'll see some kind of crosshatching in the windows. Something like what's goin on with this window

http://stage.redstick.com/content_lsmsa/content/classallen.jpg

Or maybe even just put bars over them, just to give them a little more character.
    I'd say overall it's looking pretty good though man. Nice work so far
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I've toned down the chipping, seems like I went overboard. There is now a small dent at the bottom of the door, although its not that visible. The vents occupy the same UVW space making the same texture obvious.

51.jpg
  • Surface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    your spec is flat. a worn down door would have a scratchy, dirty spec on it. Right now it looks like someone did a fresh wipedown with some mr.clean. but I guess since you haven't done grime yet you'll do the spec afterwards.

hahaha @ mr.clean :D

anyway, the grime u added looks good, goodjob with toning down the normalmap. I suggest you perhaps saturate some parts a bit, the door seems like it's a tad old so some satuarion would do good, for examples the signs (D,3). Perhaps the yellow stripes could be toned down just a tiny bit? Also, add more subtle scratches on the door base. Goodluck, goodjob so far!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I think the biggest thing bothering me with this right now is how bright the yellow tape is.. It's kind of distracting honestly, maybe desaturate the yellow a bit. It kind of makes it look like a toy or something.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good improvement, one question, why is the lettering so scratched, i would tone that down
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should keep those spec and gloss values on default, 0 and 10 mainly because that's how it would look inside game engines or other software. The gloss is making it look too shiny in areas.

It's going well I do think the lettering color doesn't entirely fit with the color scheme.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    good improvement, one question, why is the lettering so scratched, i would tone that down

Better yet how is it scratched but not the paint under it?
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS STYLE- I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A WHOLE LEVEL WITH THIS STYLE.

If I were a rich game developer (Which i am not)
    I would Hire you

I love it good work man!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toned down the scratches on the lettering and changed the hue.

@Thegodzero: The lettering is supposed to be painted on, and the green metal galvanised, or having different properties. Not sure if that translates well. I was thinking that before the base layer began chiiping the paint would start to disintegrate/erode.

@dv8ix: Thanks, I hope I get hired too:)

6.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    It's improving, I'd town down the spec level on the hazard stripes a lot though, and lessen the pillow emboss effect on the edge where it's chipped away.

The glass in the windows looks a little strange too, like it's a blue cake with stripes of black icing. Maybe use transparency here and a much darker texture, with the wires scaled down at least half the size.

Example :

400_F_3835254_KzbGrDvZpIWiDllhkqJRvG1cII35XEIi.jpg

glass_strengthened_9280163.JPG

mayangs textures =

http://mayang.com/textures/Manmade/html/Glass/index.html