Home Technical Talk

Next gen graphics in OGRE?

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
Hai guise, I'm working freelance on an indie game and we're using the Ogre engine. I've created some environments and characters for this game, but we're having a bit of trouble exporting these to Ogre. The programmer for the project will be looking into it this weekend, but I was wondering if any of you had any experience on using normal mapped assets with specular, AO, etc in this engine.

So... any tips?

+Bonus loveable walrus to melt your manly hearts and allow you to disclose trade secrets for free.

35j9thf.jpg

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Im currently working with programmers at college for work on my final project game and i know they they did get normal maps and all that shizz working but as im not a programmer i cant really help :/.

But anyways perhaps you could send these guys an email? http://liquidrockgames.blogspot.com/

They are working on a game with parralax and normal mapping and all the fancy shizz.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    ogre can definitely do all those things i worked with an ogre based game engine 4 years ago that could do it all those things ^^
  • MattBush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's plenty of info out there for your programmer to look up, even examples that come with the SDK.

It's just a matter of defining a material, creating a technique for that material that uses a shader (hlsl/glsl/cg) and passing all the correct inputs from that technique to the shader (textures, constants, etc).
    Take a look at \media\materials\scripts\Examples-Advanced.material and look for materials with 'Bump' or 'Normal' in the name, shouldn't be hard to modify them to include AO, spec map, or whatever else you require.

As for exporting, not totally sure, but you should be able to find a way to get your meshes in to ogre.. just make sure the normal mapped meshes have tangents (If your exporter doesn't do this, you can tell OGRE to build them for you).

If you have trouble with this, I'd recommend posting on the OGRE forums, they have a helpful community there and they'd be able to help you out better than we can.

Good luck!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    if you need more information digital tutors has a video tutorial on how to import work into ogre.