Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 9 Red Wireframe Bug Crash Imminent

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
So I am working with Max 9 and randomly when working the shading of my object turns off and all that is left is a Red Wireframe of my object. Generally Max will crash with a corrupted file error and attempted auto save which will generally keep the Red Wireframe problem but not always.

I have tried hitting all the wireframe/shadeder toggles like f4 but that dosnt change anything. It also stays the same if I assign it a new material. And going Display and toggiling Object Color and Material Color under Shaded and Wireframe dose nothing.

I most offten seem to get this error when working with the Multisub Obj for my material. Generally if I change anything in multi sub channel 8 through 10 this red wireframe thing will happen (havent tested other channels, always seems to be the last Set ID that will bug out.

Might be related but even when modeling I get random bugs that will result in a corrupted crash. Most often happens when I am welding all vertices. Hangs for a second than corrupted crash warning and autoback. When I go into the autoback I have these random polys that are super long and streched and exploded all over my model.

This modeling crash seems to happen from anywhere to every 5 to 30minutes.

Merging the scene into a Rested Max seems to do nothing, nor dose an OBJ export.

Has anyone encountered this problem? And is there a work around?

Scene Specs : Tri count generally around 4k, Multisub object with 8 ID's and 8 256 Difuse Textures. No custom shaders. Max fresh installed 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for any help

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I already had it under max 2k9, unfortunately I never seemed to fix it neither.

When I pan the view the models shows shaded, and when I release the viewport movements => red wireframe !

I didnt use multi-sub in that scene. It was just a scene which had been iterated alot.

I thought of export-import using obj or any other format, but never tried since.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The red wireframe is also what displays when you've got a shader (.fx) loaded that can't find the textures, but since you say changing material doesn't change anything, that's unlikely to be it. The fact that an obj-export or scene-merge doesn't fix it does suggest that it's not scene-specific. Is there anything about your material-setup that's different from scenes in which this does not happen?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've also seen the red wireframe thing occurring when you have a DX display material (not a proper shader material, but the DX display of standard material setting), and have a skylight in the scene.

Chances are you might be running out of texture memory though, Max is a hog when it comes to reloading large textures, it does it far too often and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a memory leak somewhere.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Correction: I realized I never actually used the OBJ export file since as soon as I loaded up my file all my ID sets were set back to 1 and I didnt want to have to reassign all 8. So I didnt check too long to see if I got the error still.

How would one go about exporting an object with different ID sets? I see no option to save the ID set. It always resets everything to 1.

And no the multisub material set up is no different than any other set up. I got encountered this problem when I first started wrapping and gave each ID set a unique colored defualt Max Checker material.