Home General Discussion

Penn & Teller BS - Video Game Violence tonight at 10PM

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
Tonight at 10PM on Showtime, the show Penn and Teller Bullshit! on Showtime is going to be talking about video game violence and its effect on children. Should be an interesting episode if you can catch it.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/07/09/tivo-alert-penn-amp-teller-bullshit-tackles-video-game-violence

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who is Chris Cooney and why is he trying to light guns on fire? At least they'll take a real poke at JT and have him on, in more ways than one...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I love this f'ing show. These guys are my idols. I had photos taken with both of them on my Blackberry, but sadly it was stolen here in Burritoburg (Mexico) a week ago. I'll just have to go meet them again!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    love the show but stuck in canada so the vids get cut!. oh wells, looking forward to it for sure. long live bullshit!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, I wish I had showtime.... guess I'll have to wait till there's a torrent or something, cause this is a must see for sure.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i hear Jack Thompson is on this one? watching it now...
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Hilarious. Look at that 450 lbs pyromaniac.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i dont have showtime, but the first third is up on youtubes..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBtxB_PnCTo[/ame]
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
  • arshlevon
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I want Part 3 damnit!

XD

*edit*

Thanks Arsh! you rule.

:D
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Watched it, interesting show, kind of reinforeces what I believed before. A good laugh was had. There are some real proper nutjobs in the US - edit: like anywhere else in the world, its just the fact that guns are so freely available.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait for the inevitable Jack Thompson retort. Also just found out I'm a few blocks away from a shooting range, think I'll get me a pistolah, raaaaawr!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    arshlevon wrote: »

Am I missing something? I'm getting "Server not found" when I try to play it.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Well that was entertaining watch I laughed so much. Have to say I pretty much agree on everything but there wasn't any really new info I hadn't heard before....then again maybe I'm a biased crazed gamer. :P

I kinda felt bad for the kid at the end though. Poor fella, but It was a great way for the point to hit home for the family.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked for me, good watch. Poor kid at the end.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Poor Harrison, the comparison of football and video games was an interesting point.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    No wonder that kid cried at the end, that moron didn't even teach him how to properly shoot the rifle, kid could've broken his jaw.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, poor Harrison. What was that guy thinking telling him to fire while holding it like that? Was he trying to get him hurt?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    No wonder that kid cried at the end, that moron didn't even teach him how to properly shoot the rifle, kid could've broken his jaw.

Um. No. That rifle has more of a jolt than a real kick. Even if he used his face to support the buttstock (which he mostly did) it's not going to break his jaw. Most of the "recoil" you see is also partly from the anticipation jerk that novice shooters get when they first feel the weapon reaction.

I'm pretty certain him stretching his face showed it was a little uncomfortable, but his crying came from the emotional impact of shooting a real weapon...which was the point of them showing that at the very end in the first place. I've seen adults with the same reaction to shooting for the first time.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love mowing down monsters with guns in games, but in real life I want nothing to do with them.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott wrote: »
    Um. No. That rifle has more of a jolt than a real kick. Even if he used his face to support the buttstock (which he mostly did) it's not going to break his jaw. Most of the "recoil" you see is also partly from the anticipation jerk that novice shooters get when they first feel the weapon reaction.

Yea your right, but the guy still should've shown him the proper way to fire the rifle, maybe he wouldn't have had such a bad experience.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you think he was crying because he broke his collar bone? i lol'd so hard when he shot.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    real guns are good but fake guns are bad!?! wtf f f f!??!
    classic
    they could have given him a pistol or something for starters.... sheesh
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Eraserhead, I think the idea was to show how a person who tried to learn shooting only from playing videogames would shoot (ie horribly). Sucks for the kid though, oww.

I'm surprised they didn't point out that Jack Thompson was disbarred for being a nutcase.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Yea your right, but the guy still should've shown him the proper way to fire the rifle, maybe he wouldn't have had such a bad experience.

What? Games teach us that, silly! isn't that the whole point of this? THEY TRAIN US TO BE KILLING MACHINES.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I remember shooting a gun for the first time when I was that age. Scared the crap out of me and I went and cried to mommy to. 6 years later though I couldn't stop shooting this semi-auto 12 gauge at the range. I think at that age it might be a little to shocking at first. I agree though he should have been instructed to use the rifle properly instead of using the his face as a shoulder...sigh some people.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZackF wrote: »
    Eraserhead, I think the idea was to show how a person who tried to learn shooting only from playing videogames would shoot (ie horribly). Sucks for the kid though, oww.

I'm surprised they didn't point out that Jack Thompson was disbarred for being a nutcase.

I know what the point of that 'experiment' was supposed to be; that doesn't make it right for them to give the kid a rifle and not teach him the proper way to use it. The kid could have gotten hurt.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point, but they seemed to be giving the kid the safety essentials, not just handing him a gun and saying "okay, go to town". And as Ott pointed out, the recoil didn't pose a serious threat to the kid, bad form or no.
  • [Deleted User]
    I hope we can all agree at least that giving a kid a rifle without sufficient safety instruction, regardless of how dangerous it is, is infinitely more dangerous than any video game.

:D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha, agreed :)

Overall i actually enjoyed this a lot, got a good laugh at it too poking fun at both the "hardcore" gamer, as well as the "hardcore" hater. As others have said though, it didn't really touch on anything new, just re-states opinions in a very fun / semi-intelligent way.

I wish we got this show here :(
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TMN airs them every week. I watched it thursday night, same time as everyone in the US, always have.

If you have MEN tv, they air the old ones sometimes.

It's a great show.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12

Dude, you're on the internet. Just do a quick google search and enjoy. You can either torrent or watch it streaming. Most shows come up a few hours after they air in the east.:)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I'm disappointing to see Jack Thompson again. He got disbarred!

Anyone remember Lt. Col. David Grossman? He caused some shit about quake3 back a while ago. I remember he said something about how you could put your girlfriends head on a character and then shoot them. So I put him on a character:
    h_grossman.gif

fuckers
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ha! The football argument is going to be weapon of choice against douche-bag know-it-alls that try and lecture me or co-workers when they find out what we do at the local pub/coffee shop! Mwuaahahha!

Great episode.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, if people walk away with anything it should be the football example.

Chris Cooney would be disappointed...
    They clearly failed to deliver the 3rd key component in the deadly fire triangle, the troubled kid. Harrison parent has actually put some thought into raising him. If they want to curb adolescent violence that's where they need to focus their efforts. I someone mentioned that too...

Proper parenting, it does wonders for society.

I think one reason some people rail so hard against games pinning all of societies ills on them, is because they're close to heading up to the bell tower themselves.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    they're close to heading up to the bell tower themselves.

I could easily see "gun nut/fire triangle" guy doing that soon after he watches this episode.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    The football example? I'm not so sure.

People do, in fact, have a part of themselves that is prone to violence, domination, and looking awesome while you're doing it.. but we need to understand what the NEED is here if we're going to say anything intelligent about it at all

if you look at it, I would argue, the need here is significance and empowerment. the difficulty is that there is TONS of ways of getting that need met, and violence and dominance has traditionally been the easiest way, simply because you don't require an education for it... however, there are other ways of meeting exactly the same need: the feeling of being awesome, of being unique, empowered, important, significant.

Intellectual debate is how i do it, obviously.
    Creative conversation rewards one with fantastic new ideas that create this feeling
    Contribution of your abilities for other people
    Being the best at something
    jesus (okay i'm kidding)

the point i'm making is that violence in video games, although VERY healthy compared to our past history in humanity, is still a far cry from a good way to meet this human need, and quite frankly, arguing FOR it by bashing football is soooorrtta like voting democrat because the republican party is crazy.

They sortta.... both... suck.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're missing the point entirely. It isn't about bashing football at all, but taking football out of its familiar context and placing it the realm of unknown and potentially dangerous phenoma -- in other words, the same context used by people fearmongering about the dangers of violent games. Since football is something people generally consider to a good thing for a kid to engage in, having it seem so much worse in that kind of context simply emphasizes how much safer violent videogames actually are. It's a satire of fearmongering tactics.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I got that point.

It's one thing to deconstruct an idiot's argument by presenting his own shit as being incongruent, etc... And i suppose that's FINNNEEE....

but what i'm saying is that it is replacing one form of bullshit for another. the logical way to respond to that isn't "oh, i guess i'll shut up about video games" the logical way to respond to that is "maybe we should be bitching about football as well.. or moreso."

in my opinion, it's important to find something healthy -- not just to invalidate shallow arguments.
  • [Deleted User]
    but what i'm saying is that it is replacing one form of bullshit for another. the logical way to respond to that isn't "oh, i guess i'll shut up about video games" the logical way to respond to that is "maybe we should be bitching about football as well.. or moreso."
    That doesn't make sense, it only shows that your belief in violence in video games as something to complain about is dogmatic. The point of the football example wasn't
    in my opinion, it's important to find something healthy -- not just to invalidate shallow arguments.
    But again you make the assumption that violent video games aren't healthy, or are somehow at least less than morally neutral
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... the logical way to respond to that isn't "oh, i guess i'll shut up about video games" the logical way to respond to that is "maybe we should be bitching about football as well.. or moreso."

No, that's not the logical response at all. In fact it's highly irrational. While football has been around for decades and decades, videogames are relatively new territory. In other words, the fundamental premise of the argument is that football is an acceptably safe hobby for a growing child. The rest of the argument stems from that. Now, rejecting that premise because of the end result of the logical progression (that games are safer), rather than due to the inherent properties of the premise itself, is fallacious behavior that indicates that you are looking for a logical structure to support an assumed conclusion (i.e. violent games are bad, in this case) rather than starting with a set of reasonable premises and arriving at a logical conclusion from them.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying not to get pissy here... First of all, I like violent video games, so please cut this dogma stuff, because you're projecting that on me. You might be just hung up on protecting video games perhaps?

Now. I know that the point was a deconstruction of dogma. Read what I just said. I said it's FINE to deconstruct an idiot's argument, but basically it's just half the story. It's an incomplete truth.

The beef that I have with the point is this -- although it does make sense as an argument against dogma, it's incomplete in that it doesn't appear to be coming from a higher moral perspective. there's no consciousness there focused on what is ultimately healthy.. it's just interested in destroying an argument.

it's typical post-modern, flatlanding, pluralistic, egalitarian bullshit. It's a-moral. it's only intention is to break dogma. it has no desire at all to make distinctions based on what is more or less healthy.. only to destroy arguments. there's no construction going on.. only deconstruction how can any argument that comes out of that value system be anything other than destructive?

Pen and Teller have, if nothing else, consistently shown a COMPLETE lack of the ability to appreciate partial truth in an argument. I enjoy the show, and they make some very good points, but they have no desire what so ever to be reasonable or to reconcile multiple viewpoints to find a higher truth.

I'll give you this -- when talking with idiots, it might be the best you can do to point out their dogma... but the rest of us should spend some more time considering how we SHOULD view things, now that we're free... and that's an argument that non-dogmatic people can have.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    you know.. i'm a crazy person, had a bad upbringing.
    when i was around 5 or 6, i used to get off on drawing people being tortured, and in kindergarden, i pushed down a girl from a playhouse because it seemed fun. she broke her arm.
    i've been playing violent video games for 15 years now, and i still haven't killed anyone.

blaming video games for the violent killing sprees is just an excuse.
    the real culprit is 50/50 bad parenting, demented child.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    John. GO OUTSIDE. Perhaps play a little football.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    John. GO OUTSIDE. Perhaps play a little football.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

next.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This show has always irritated me because it makes such a slanted argument. In this case I hate to play devil's advocate but there must be some professionals out there that can intelligently argue the case against violent video games. Instead Penn and Teller find the whackjob retards for the side they want to prove their point against. The show is all comedy, nothing close to a serious debate with a logical conclusion. That and they must've added a lot more swearing than the last time I watched this show, it's starting to rival the fucking fuckity fucks of Angry Videogame Nerd's reviews.
  • [Deleted User]
    They've always sworn pretty profusely.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, ebagg, that's how i'm feeling about it also. It is fun to watch though. hahah I do like the swearing.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    just look up the evidence penn and teller uses.
    they say crime rates has gone down. i checked the crime stats, its correct. crime is down.
    Instead Penn and Teller find the whackjob retards for the side they want to prove their point against.

you're accusing penn and teller of throwing around strawman arguments?
    they didn't just adress the whackjob arguments, but some general arguments as well.
    they dumb down their arguments, because only dumb people will come to the conclusion that video games causes kids to become violent mass-murdering criminals.

its the same argument my retarded mother used for my brother.
    he spent time with kids who were a "bad influence" therefore he did bad things.
    but in reality, it was my mother constantly bitching, and the fact he was really an asshole,
    that caused him to steal my savings, my cousins savings, break into a church safe, smoke when he was 9, threathening me with a knife, dropping out of school, beat up a handicapped person, and who knows what else before finally ending up in jail for half a year.
    he's now a steroid junkie who goes to the gym every weekday and have a hard time finding a job because of his background.

in comparison, having spent around most of my childhood playing violent video games every day, i'm now antisocial.

so thats my argument. parents pushing the blame for being crappy parents onto video games.