Home General Discussion

What to look for in a programmer?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting my own little iPhone business while I continue to search for work (in house and freelance). I just want to start out really small and see if I can turn out a very basic game, and go from there. I actually already have an investor, so the start up costs won't be an issue (about 2 grand by my calculations).

So, I figured I would handle the art and design aspects of the game; and I'm looking to hire a programmer (someone local I can work directly with).
My question is, what sort of credentials should I look for? The pay for this would probably be split in half, like half the profits go to me and the other half to the programmer. Because there would be no up front pay, I am guessing if I find someone it would most likely be a recent grad or someone about to graduate (Western NY is full of these types of students).
So how do I test their programming ability? Do I ask for examples of programs written? I have done programming myself in the past, but I never got too in depth with it so I don't know a whole lot (which is why I would like to hire one).
I'm just wondering if anyone on Polycount has any suggestions for me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd look for someone who has developed iPhone apps before, and possibly has an iPhone to do testing on (unless you already have one). If I had done iPhone apps, I'd offer up my own services ;) I eventually want to make some iPhone apps also, but don't have one to test out the apps on. Personally, I think testing on the actual device is more important that just trying it via an emulator.

Anyway, ask the for sample apps. Even if it's nothing great, maybe the candidate can do code, but is graphically challenged (very common among programmers).
    You'll want someone who can code in C, more specifically objective C if possible. Then they'll be familiar with the code used for iPhone apps.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Notman: Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I plan on buying a Unity Indie license along with a Unity iPhone Basic license, so actually much of the design can be done in the editor, and the coding side of things will be much easier.
    Everything you said sounds good. I'll certainly ask for sample apps as you suggest.
  • jerry
    I would be more inclined hiring someone who has programmed games before over someone who knows how to write objective C. Game programmers probably know some form of C and switching to objective C should not be that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure you need to find someone with an apple as well since i dont think you can develop on windows.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jerry: Thanks man. Well I have done a little more research on the topic and if I want the programmer to work straight with the sdk, then yes he will need to know objective C (the language they use). However, if I use unity 3d with iPhone basic, all the programmer needs to know is javascript really (or they can use C# or Boo). When you build an app inside of unity 3d, it coverts and publishes the game straight to an xCode project ready to be used. Demo Movie on this page: http://www.unity3d.com/unity/features/iphone-publishing

The annoying thing is that I will indeed need to use a mac to develop these games (which I currently do not own). Unity iphone only supports mac, and same goes for the sdk. I prefer to not dump any money until I absolutely have to (no money = no risk); but I'm looking to get one of those mac mini's once I'm further along in the development. mac mini: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTE3MzE

So I think I have an idea what kind of workflow I want to use for developing an iphone game now, and if I can find a programmer with an apple and iphone; it would be a huge plus.
  • dehebo
    if you are thinking of going with unity then from the look of that video the demands on the programmers skills will be reduced... atleast that is how they are marketing this imo.
    I'm sure I don't need to tell you to use the trial download to best assess the software, and attempt to find out how good people who may of used it think it is. The demo vid make it look like you put together something from scripting alone, or almost.

Now for a games programmer who is working solo I cannot stress how important that he/she have a grasp of mechanical maths... some won't because they wont of needed it.

Obviously what they need to be able to implement strongly relies upon they games you want to produce, but lets says that you are aiming for the stars if not with the first game but for later ones then I can perhaps assume that you are going to all type of shit wizzing around the screen, collisions, physics etc etc. the guy would need to know how to cheat with this stuff efficiently... making it look right but importantly for it to run smoothly.
    So imo first look for a guy with demos, or who can produce a demo that can show this.
    Students should atleast have coursework; but with all students if they have produced stuff outside of the course just for the hell of it you know they are dedicated.
    The problem I would say how are YOU going to assess that he/she as done it well? Somewhat a leap of faith at some point.

If you are to use unity then perhaps you can get away with just a good programmer, someone who may not of been geared towards games already. perhaps just see what you alone can do with a trial of it first? perhaps you can guage an idea of what you will need.
    Also note, I'm sure you have, that you can contact unity to request an evaluation of the iPhone package.

Make sure the programmer maintains manageable code. you don't want one of these assholes who produces abstract code so that it cannot be maintained by anyone but them.
    well structured, commented code. these things are like the most simplistic but an important requirements.
    From the comments anyone should know what a particular section of code is there for, even if they may not be a programmer and do not understand the syntax of the actual code.

Sorry if I waffled on, I have a passion for games programming, and I probably didn't answer anything. gl.
  • jerry
    I agree with dehebo, don't trust code that is a mess. Code is written for humans, not for computers. Variable names like: a, b, c and stuff like that indicate bad coding style. Code that does more than something obvious should preferably be commented. General naming of functions and variables is important and it is something you can check. It will be hard for you to check, how the data is protected, if globals are used and much more nasty stuff than that so don't bother. Just focus on the above and you should probably get a feel for what's proper code and what isn't.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey that's some great info dehebo, and thanks for clarifying again jerry.
    I actually made a single player FPS game in unreal 2k4 a couple years ago, by myself, barrowing code and models from free sources. So I will definitely see what I can accomplish on my own first with Unity3d.
    Like I said though, its sort of tricky because I don't have a Mac and although I can get a trial of Unity iphone basic I first must have a Mac and be a certified Apple developer (cost 100.00 and some wait time for approval). So its sort of like a chicken and the egg scenario. I would like to have the game actually in development before I give the go ahead for investor funds, but its difficult to do this without the funds in the first place.
    I'm thinking of doing some mock level design right inside 3ds max and follow some tutorials with the trial of Unity Indie (for windows) to get a grasp of the editor. Plus I don't even have a game idea yet, heh heh.
    So I'm also going to have a look at some of the current games on the market to get a better idea of what is feasible for an iPhone game.
    Thanks again guys, This is all very helpful information.