Home General Discussion

Modo Rules!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Holy crap! I just got Modo and it kicks ass modeling wise. It does the simple things 3dMax can't or should do. Why aren't the big game studios using this?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, you mean like ID for example? =D
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm i was supposed to get a free download of modo. but havent receieved it yet, im really anxious to use it
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    What exactly can it do that 3dsmax 2010 can't do modeling wise?

I'm using silo for modeling right now and I feel like i'm missing out.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    What exactly can it do that 3dsmax 2010 can't do modeling wise?

I'm using silo for modeling right now and I feel like i'm missing out.

Nothing, really. Infact there is a lot that Max can do that modo cant. But that really isnt the issue, its more the way it *does* the things that it do. IF you get my drift.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    From what I hear of Modo, it's like Silo in that it's quick and comfortable, but has more powerful tools like 3dsMax. That's the impression that I'm getting. I want it.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    What, you mean like ID for example? =D

ID is using this? That's a smart move on there part. Anymore companies on board? You're right to say that max and modo have much of the same tools but using Modo's tools are more simpler and faster than Max's tools. Soft selection in Modo has more options and flexibility than Max's soft selection tools. Max's has never upgraded that tool.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    and thats only 302. 401 is currently on track for release this month and its looking mighty fine.
    http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.introduction/
    edit - i heard both valve and id use this but its more a case of artists can use what works for them at those companies (as long as they can get it in engine of course)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Poor artist = blames his tools.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Im not blaming the tools and I'm still gonna use max. I just find that Modo's tools make my work much faster.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Foolish artist = Sticks with the same tool for his entire carear, without experimenting with other tools.

Yeah, did you have a point here? Me neither. =)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foolish artist = Sticks with the same tool for his entire carear, without experimenting with other tools.

Pnwed! Seriously though this program is a pretty damn good. Now I know why you guys use it.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    im definitely into the profile tools that are coming with 402 - this tool looks like an enviro dream.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    experimenting with other tools.

Aww, that's how I think of my time here with you guys too.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    With Modo you can work with subdiv models very very fast, it's the fastest program to model with. That's the strongest point of the program, the perfomance in viewports is very good and you don't need a professional vga to work with a great detail amount of polygons (302 is slower than 301 in my machines, heavy slower). It's great, i work like working with plasticine, or mud, i can move and edit the mesh subdivided x4 like nothing, so fast and smooth. That point makes you to have more flexibility while working.

In 3ds Max is very sad all the work with subdivs, but it's better for other things.

Some things can't be done with the program as easy as in other 3d packages, but if you only model, modo+zbrush is the perfect combo.

Too many companies are using modo now, check out the luxology website :). I have been using it since version 1 and it has helped me a lot on all these years, my workflow improved a lot, it was a wish come true. I have played with silo and hexagon too, and like modo, there is nothing.

Nah.. you should try it, and that's all. BTW, Is a program you can learn in an anfernoon hahaha.

I'm so customed to work with modo now... that i feel unconfortable with maya/max.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've noticed that subdiv is far more faster on modo than max also.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup Modo rules! I've been using Modo for the last two months or so and it's really opened my eyes to what makes a good 3d content creation app. I think I'd cry if I needed to solely use Max or Maya for my work ever again.

I can hardly wait for the upcoming 401 upgrade. Especially the drag and drop preset asset browser.

http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.presets.part.2/

That's a level artist's dream come true :D I have high hopes for that + the Collada exporter.

Character artists must be pretty excited too. The enhancements to the pen tool will make retopology a breeze. Also baking textures with the new fur system = wow! no need to sculpt odd looking hair in Zbush ever again.

It's too bad they weren't able to fully flesh out the new animation system to encompass skinned character animation but for mechanical type stuff it's looking great. Maybe in the next version...

My only gripe with Modo is it's oddball snapping setup and usage, but I've already found scripts that work around the few problems I've had with it.

Hopefully even more companies will start to use Modo as one of their accepted content creation apps.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Massive uses modo :) Blaizer pretty much sums it up. Im still not comfortable with it yet, the maya user that I am... that will change soon :P
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried out modo a long time ago, when I believe just a little bit after Zbrush 2's release, or somewhere around there.

I havn't touched it since because I didn't enjoy the quirky 2 grid viewport navigation. But after seeing the newer updates for 401 to be released. I think i'll give it a shot again and see what the great fuss is about :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    glib wrote: »
    Aww, that's how I think of my time here with you guys too.

That made me lol :D

Im gonna get the trial and see what this mean SOB can do!

The interface looks great and there seems to be a ton of groovy tools added since i last took a peek.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Be sure to check out http://www.vertexmonkey.com/ for some awesome modo scripts. Oh and do check out the Pie Menu tutorial.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    A guy from Luxology was calling me a bunch a few months ago trying to get me to buy Modo, but I never got around to getting my Demo. I am also a Silo/Max guy though almost 99% of my modeling/UVs take place in Silo.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A guy from Luxology was calling me a bunch a few months ago trying to get me to buy Modo, but I never got around to getting my Demo. I am also a Silo/Max guy though almost 99% of my modeling/UVs take place in Silo.

Haha, silo still rocks when it comes to organic modeling, but if the luxology guys priced modo a bit cheaper, I might be more inclined to move to modo.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

touche'
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The action center/axis thing was one of the things I found most difficult to grasp when I first started using Modo. Here's a great tutorial about action centers by Seneca Menard (from id software) for anyone just starting out.

http://content.luxology.com/community/user_tutorials/seneca/SENECA_MODO_ACTRS.MOV

Here's Seneca's website it's full of very useful scripts for Modo.

http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Entity wrote: »
    Haha, silo still rocks when it comes to organic modeling, but if the luxology guys priced modo a bit cheaper, I might be more inclined to move to modo.
    considering the upgrade to 302 was free, and the upgrade to 401 is also going to be free, i'd say it's a pretty good deal.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ID is using this? That's a smart move on there part. Anymore companies on board?

There's a few guys at Gearbox that are using it as well, but the majority still use 3ds Max. I've actually been meaning to give it a try at some point, but just have not gotten around to it yet.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

ding ding ding
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Have to say, it's looking very tempting. I may consider buying it if they add smooth mesh deformation (joints / skinning etc).

The feature list for Modo 401 looks really good, I especially like the look of the "paint replicate" stuff, and the renderer seems really nice as well. Fast, too, apparently.

I know they're introducing animation to Modo 401 but from the looks of the preview it only works on "elements" of sub-meshes, or individual objects - all rigid deformation. I didn't see any smooth deforming objects in the demo videos on their site... does anyone know if this is the case?

There's a lot of good stuff there, but I really don't want to lay the cash down unless I could do a full lowpoly model, rigged and skinned from start to finish in the app. If I can't do that, then I still have to use separate software anyway, which defeats a bit of the objective for me :/
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've just grabbed the 30 day demo, need to figure it out.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup sadly no joints or smooth mesh deformation with the 401 release. It technically can be done but it's more of a hack than a feature not something you'd want to do in a production setting. The Luxology guys stated that they are just laying the foundation of their rigging tools with 401, they didn't want to rush out a half assed character animation tool set.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that's fair enough. I'll give the demo a spin, but it sounds like I'll have to wait for 501 or something ;)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love me some modo :)
    once i started using modo, i couldn't go back to use max.
    although i must say aswell, that max has some shit i would like to see in modo. like the stack and modifiers.
    oh well.. better than nothing.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo \o/ feeling that modo love! Can't over emphasise how much I love that app.

Every day at work I get a little more and more pissed off with Max.

MoP: Yeah, this isn't their character animation release. They're just getting the foundations in to build on.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    401 is looking very nice. I skipped the 30x cycle because of stability and lack of features that interested me but this one looks much better, so I'm back in. =] Didn't think I would be interested in the new animation/rigging stuff but it looks much better than I expected it might for a first release so I'll be tinkering around in there while waiting for deformation stuff to be implemented. It still lacks some of the organic flow that silo has but I'm hoping they can address some of that along the way.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18

Actually expect the price to rise. They've made it pretty clear that they intend for modo to be a full pipeline app eventually. Brad even mentioned raising the buy-in price in the last modcast. Once the app fills out more I would expect to see a more significant price jump for new users.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tis a new year, watch as the gwotbear emerges from his modo hibernation hungry and eager to learn.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    Actually expect the price to rise. They've made it pretty clear that they intend for modo to be a full pipeline app eventually. Brad even mentioned raising the buy-in price in the last modcast. Once the app fills out more I would expect to see a more significant price jump for new users.

That's good though, i'd gladly pay whatever they ask for once Modo becomes a full featured app. Right now, I can't really justify the price considering it still has a lot of features missing.

In other words, give me bones :D
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Can anyone specifically talk about how the workflow is just smoother in these modo / silo programs over other apps?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Essentially, it's vastly streamlined and more intuitive than most apps. A heavier focus on shortcut keys, intuitive tools, customiseable and flexible interfaces and generally be more accessible.

These new tools are written from the ground up much more recently and are able to skip a lot of the outdated layouts, tools and features that things like Max have to lug around as legacy.

Oh, and action centres :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good though, i'd gladly pay whatever they ask for once Modo becomes a full featured app. Right now, I can't really justify the price considering it still has a lot of features missing.

In other words, give me bones :D

Meh, modo's best asset is that its a streamlined, fucosed modeler. Piling on all sorts of other shit is just going to make it turn into the same lame bloated crap that maya/max are.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno - they've got a more recent foundation so it's more likely to be more stable and streamlined for including new features. They will never be able to get into the same market share as Max / Maya / XSI if they don't include the features needed to make it a full-featured development application. Right now it's pretty much a modeller and a renderer, and that just won't hack it in the long run.

Just as a quick calculation according to their website, it's currently $895 (£560), they say if you buy 302 now you save $395 on the upgrade to 401, so I guess that's gonna come out priced around $1290 (£810).

Might be worth getting now after all...
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo is indeed awesome, and that link to Seneca's action centers tutorial is one of the clearest explanations of why. I don't think it'll ever come close to Maya even if they do add skeletal animation- the infrastructure just doesn't appear to be there. Bizarrely, they demo'd skeletal animation in their 'Nexus' siggraph presentation in like 2004(?), but the promise of node exposure never materialized from that either. Another problem with it is it's very destructive- for better or worse, there's no history like maya, and there probably never will be. I guess my point is, don't wait around for 'feature x' to show up before giving it a shot- the best parts of Modo are already here.

I didn't realize it got so much love around here- does anyone think the snapping is OK? I love the modeling workflow in every other way, but the snapping and alignment tools never really clicked with me. Seneca's got some great alignment tools, but the built in stuff never felt right.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oof, no history of any sort? Not that I rely on the Maya history much, Max's Stack is way better for the non-destructive workflow. Does it allow stuff like parametric deformers which sit on top of objects and allow the underlying mesh to be changed before the deformer is applied?

The action centres stuff looked a lot like Max's pivot and selection options, along with the new Working Pivot stuff ... just presented a lot more consistently (rather than Maya's options for that stuff which are horribly limited and clunky, and Max's which are pretty effective but a bit of a scattershot approach, far from streamlined).
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds super interesting with all this praise.

How tricky would it be for a die hard Maya user to make a change?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No pretty much every operation in modo is destructive. What you describe above is to me, its biggest flaw. Being able to do something like, curve extrude, and then want to change the curve later is impossible as far as i've seen. Doing this sort of work, max really blows it out of the water.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Sounds super interesting with all this praise.

How tricky would it be for a die hard Maya user to make a change?

You can pick up the basics of modo in an hour, or at worst and afternoon. Its best to just try for yourself.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Maya even lets you do parametric things on the "output" of a mesh (by default it goes into the inputs, which shoves it in with the other history), but anything that's an Output is basically non-destructive since you're doing it on top of the history of everything else. It's more complicated than Max's stack, but in some situations works pretty much in the same way. There's a lot of stuff I do which relies on that sort of workflow, so maybe Modo isn't for me after all :/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah MoP I was evaluating the app earlier last as an alternative for Maya and gave up for the same reason - no access to a stack of any kind. Maya does not have that either, but to justify an app switch I really expect something as flexible and powerful as Max at least, and I don't think that Modo delivers this... It's good, but still feels like a pimped up Silo to me!
    Being able to do something like, curve extrude, and then want to change the curve later is impossible as far as i've seen.

Exactly. EQ and anyone - Is there a single app out other other than Max, able to do that? Coming from Max I always assumed that this kind of flexibility was the CORE of 3d modelling (ineractive symetry - shell modifier that can be edited later on - modifiers applied at object level instead of per component -...) but seems like it really isn't :P
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I love Modo. Absolutely adore it. There are a lot of things about it that still bug me, however:

-Destructive modeling as EarthQuake mentioned above. Everything you do changes things and the only way to undo what you've done is Ctrl+Z.

-No smoothing groups, among other material complaints. The smoothing in Modo sucks. Hard. I'm not a fan of Max for various reasons, but their materials are way better than Modo's.

-Bad OBJ exporting. It seems that they use a weird non-standard version of OBJ that doesn't always play well with other programs.

-As always, instability. I've learned to press Ctrl+S after just about every action just so I won't have to deal with losing work to a crash. The autosave is untrustworthy as well.

Those things said, Modo remains my favorite modeling program, even if it does lack some features that would alleviate a lot of the problems people have with it.