Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PixelMapper

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slum polycounter lvl 18
I had a few requests to make my own thread for this thing, so I will.

What I'm doing here is essentially using photoshop as a method for editing a 3d tile-driven environment, something akin to oldschool RPG's or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Here's the low-down, for those who don't watch WAYWO

First, I got the idea it would be cool to read an image and build pixel art in 3d.

pixelplot.jpg

At one point I build a rigid body collection and did some hilarious simulations of mario exploding into a mass of 3d pixels. I may revisit that later...

BTW, All the code is in Python, which uses COM to send maxscript to Max.

I've always had a soft spot for oldschool RPG pixel art, so I thought it would be really neat to use photoshop as a tile editing tool. Load a small (16x16) image and build 3d tiles based on their color index.

Right now these tiles are all based on the grass and sand tiles from secret of mana. I nabbed those and edited them just as quick programmer art.

(a bit of irony.. I'm an artist pretending to be a programmer, and I made programmer art.)

Here was the first test:

pixel_mapper.jpg

After that, I added heightmap support. (not in the alpha, but a seperate image. Was just easier that way). Also, side faces get their own texture.
pixel_mapper02.jpg

after that I quickly got model support added. So you can drop in rocks or whatever (trees, bushes, alien spacecraft).

pixel_mapper03.jpg

The coolest thing about this is just how easy it is to use.. You just paint pixels on a tiny image, press a button and your world is built.

Things to do: Add a cleanup pass which will cull interior faces and merge faces that are similar.

also, since i feel like this thread is lacking content, here's a (kind of) related thing I wrote a while ago. the start of a tile-based advancewars-like game.

205618078_200.jpg
CLICK FOR VIDEO

Replies