Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Phone booth

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
For one of my classes I'm modeling a phone booth. We're required to make two separate textures...so my first one is going to be a basic phone booth, the second will be a snow covered phone booth.

Here are the high poly's so far. The snow covered phone booth isnt done, i still have to add the snow clusters on the door side.

phoneboothRender.jpg

Phonebooth_Snow.jpg

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Lookin pretty dope so far man. The snow will be a nice touch. Your concept had snow right? You going to do frosted glass for the snow pass and just normal glass for the other one?

All you need now is Superman or his suit left behind after he changed in it. :)

Keep up the good work sir.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!
    Yeah im not sure how to tackle this. I think im going to model some of the snow..and normal the smaller pieces. I'm definitely going to frost the windows though.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the frosted window bits, it would be cool to see some of the frost wiped off from peoples' shoulders hitting the sides as they get in and turn around.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you could really go a lot with snow as "grunge".

Looking good Wes, really clean, should bake down nice and whatnot.

One thing that seems a bit off to me, is the size of the handle. It seems just a bit small.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mark, i'll scale that little guy up.

by the way...get that damn site up. I keep clicking on it when i see your name and forget it's not up ha.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, yeah, gonna work on it this weekend.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Are we going to see inside the booth at all? For the snow version I could see the frosted glass working well, but I'm not sure about the first version. Its looking good so far. I would say texture your base version first and then move onto the snow.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, i've been thinking about it. I think it'd look rad, but im not sure if i'd have enough time. I'll have to look at some British styled phone booths and see what they look like.

Thanks for comin in to school too btw. It was really helpful. Even though im doing characters for my portfolio..im going to try and use prop and environment modeling as a back up plan. So it definitely helped.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alittle update.

Still very WIP on the snowy phonebooth. The plain one is finished though.

PhotoboothWIP.jpg
    SnowPhotoboothWIP.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    the plain one looks great! Nice texture work. As for the snow on the second one, I would be careful as you wouldn't want to pump the snow through a normal map that would appear it was indented into the window. I would use the snow layers to build a slight gradient height map, and then normalize it with the snow textures so you have some height as well as the small bump details.

Be sure to bump up high frequency specs for the specular map that way we get that light glistening from the snow, especially on the windows :)

To further reinforce the snow, you could do a simple mesh and add some snow to the base around the phone booth with dirt in it just so you could further indicate the snow and help balance the prop itself, but that's just for show imo.

It's looking great man.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job wes

color - too evenly red all over. try gradiating the color to 2 different hues of red. Maybe more saturation toward the bottom, and less at the top, or gradiate to a more slightly orangeness at the top from sun damage (these changes in value should be very subtle, but will make it way less flat looking) you can also do this effect around edges an stuff to make the forms pop out more.

grunge - at the bottom I see white grugne, (assuming it's snow). It should be darker. Snow only looks white for about the first 6 hours, but after a little bit of sunshine and some traffic nearby, the snow starts getting all black and shitty looking, soaking up dirt.
    dirty_snow.jpg

also, a cool touch would be something like this:
    2964812-2-the-trouble-with-super-heroes-is-what-to-do-between-phone-booths.jpg

you may not want to go crazy on this prop with detail. it looks real good as it is, but these things could help sell it more, give it more character, and you'll learn something new by testing these ideas too ;P

cheers
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Will and Adam made some good points. The normal one looks good and would look more convincing with the sun color fade. The snow on the top and in the window could stay whiter for they are not really soaking up too much dirt but the areas near the bottom would be dirty looking. Like Will said, if you add some snow around the ground would add a lot. Like having dirty boot prints leading up to the door. Would be dope.

Great work so far bud. Keep up the good work.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys.

Will: Yeah, i think im going to add a little base to it, just to further ground and sell the thing. But since i waited too long to actually work on it, i wont get to do it for class. I"ll probably do it this weekend for fun.

Adam: I like the idea of sun damage, and changing the red tones depending on where they are. I'm going to add that dirty snow on the base that im going to put on it.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    keep in mind that if that much snow fell, it would be going OVER the edges of the top, not receding behind it, and icicles would have probably at least begun to form.

Toss a nice noisey spec map on it so we can get that glisteney snow effect