Home Technical Talk

smoothing weights in 3ds max

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
hmmm

am I just a noob-face, or is there no way to 'smooth' out weights between several vertices in the skin modifier with 3ds max? I know you can blend weights between verts on ONE bone using the weight panel or paint blended weights, but is there some easy way to average the weights of vertices among ALL bones?

if no, are there any scripts or plugins around to do this?

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks for clearing that up, Nick :poly121:

I suppose there's no way by default, so I started to make a rudimentary script last night, but does anyone know how to access the copy/paste vertweights stuff within the weight tool? I was thinking it would be an easy way to combat the disregard for undo that replaceweights seems to have - or am I just a noob at maxscript too? hmm quite likely! :poly142:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How dare you seek to improve things that haven't been touched in decades! You need to weight each vert by painful vert, just like coders work in notepad. oh whats that they have upgraded tools now... oh ok.

Looking for something like this?
    Skin Gradient
    skingradientui.png
    This is a new tool. Use it to draw a perfect gradient of weights. Select some verts and a bone you would like to alter the weights of. Then set your gradient options, like start end end weight. Then click "Gradient". Click once to start to gradient and once to finish it.
    You'll get the hang of it.
    1.32 - added line draw so you can see direction when doing dradient.
    Info taken from:
    (black text on black background highlight it to read it...)
    Might be helpful to take a look at the code too.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome script! I hadn't seen this before
    thanks for the link, Vig

that gives me some ideas, but I was thinking more along the lines of actually averaging the vertex weights across ALL bones for certain vertices - basically being able to copy 2 vert weights to the copy buffer and paste a blend between them would be the simplest idea of what i want. I'll have to check this out some more